Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 04:27 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

It will go in but it can be tricky. First, don't bunch all the cables together - this makes a big 'knot' of wires and makes the job harder - spread them about a bit. Feel around at the back of the cavity - you will find spaces at the backmost left and right sides. Aim to get some of the wires into each space. Get some long cable ties (2ft) or equivalent and fish through from underneath into the cavity, Attach to the quadlock connector so you can push the PCM back in while at the same time pulling on the cable tie to 'fiddle' the quadlock into place. Don't force anything - persuade instead. It's trial and error (mostly error) but it will definitely go in (I did it several times here). The quadlock connector has to find room for itself right at the back corner of the cavity in that space you found. In my car the most space was on the glove box side, but yours may be the other way around if you are LHD. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2024, 04:23 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you ZedZed! As you recommended, I unbundled the hodge-podge of wiring and pushed them into the general direction of where I wanted them to go but they, the wires, protested vigorously. I finally resorted to removing the small panel containing the power port, hooking my index-finger around the thick cable bundle (circled in red) and pulled it out. Voila! the entire PCM unit followed smoothly into place without protestations and I was simply ridiculously happy . Again, thank you for your help ZedZed. Over the years, the Rennlist.com forums have been worth their weight in gold and then some...

I pulled out the thick, bundled cable, with the PCM following it nicely. When finished, I tucked the cable bundle back into its hole.

The following 2 users liked this post by Shotgun:
Skytten (05-03-2024), ZedZed (05-02-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:37 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

@Shotgun That's a neat trick I never thought of, even though I have fed numerous wires through that space in the past (and recently in the Cayman to extract one of the USB leads from the HU). Good job on getting it sorted!
Old 05-03-2024, 03:41 PM
mamick
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I was just coming to ask some guidance about my current Android HU, which I will later on, and then I see this new HU! Well that esclated quickly!

So now I just ordered the CHSTEK unit as well, the buttons and ***** look so much more OEM. They also say that the unit supports wireless and wired carplay which the current HU doesn't. I am hopeful this will address my low Siri volume issue as well. Hopefully everything just plugs and plays.

Since I will now be going back in to the dash a couple of questions:

1) As I mentioned in a previous post I have the Bose system and I did not crank my volume to 75% before disconnecting the old PCM. I assume I will want to do this before I install this new HU. Assuming that is the case, do I need to reinstall the fiber connectors back into the OEM bus connector and then connect it to the old PCM 3.1? Also I am guessing I don't have to make all the connections to the PCM 3.1 just the main connector and maybe the radio antenna and then crank the volume up.

2) Does the CHSTEK unit have the same issue with the dash display adjustment so we will be chasing that again?
Old 05-03-2024, 03:51 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one spending a fortune on multiple units!

Re question 2 the same canbus fix works on the Chstek unit according to @ratt359 who confirmed this a couple of weeks ago

Last edited by andy2111; 05-03-2024 at 06:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mamick (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:04 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mamick

1) As I mentioned in a previous post I have the Bose system and I did not crank my volume to 75% before disconnecting the old PCM. I assume I will want to do this before I install this new HU. Assuming that is the case, do I need to reinstall the fiber connectors back into the OEM bus connector and then connect it to the old PCM 3.1? Also I am guessing I don't have to make all the connections to the PCM 3.1 just the main connector and maybe the radio antenna and then crank the volume up.
You have to have a connected PCM to turn the volume up to 75% so it will only take a couple of seconds to plug the fiber optic connection in. And if you don't, how will you know you have it turned up loud enough? So yes, I'd connect the fiber up. Might as well plug in the antenna too, and then you can listen to 'static' or a radio station to judge how loud you can go. What I did was crank the volume to the point where I could just hear distortion starting (from the speakers). Apparently, this is an essential step with Bose since the amplifier 'remembers' the setting. If you install the new HU without turning up the amp, then you will have to crank up the HU volume to get enough loudness, and you will be amplifying all the inherent noise along with the signal (thus creating a terrible S/N ratio). No need to connect things like GPS, USB etc.

2) Does the CHSTEK unit have the same issue with the dash display adjustment so we will be chasing that again?
IDK. One of the CHSTEK pioneers will no doubt chime in. I hope these CHSTEK units don't present an entirely new set of problems and we end up with a frying pan (skillet) and fire situation.
mamick (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:13 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
Haha. I hope nobody brings out a stunning new unit next month! I'd spring for a CHSTEK if my wife would agree to more "messing about" (haha - that came out wrong).

I'm glad that I am 100% happy with the unit in the Panamera as these widescreen units cost a fortune by comparison (although it is, of course, possible to use an Erisin-style unit in the Panny if so desired).
Old 05-03-2024, 04:39 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111

Re question 2 the same canbus fix works on the Chstek unit accord@ratt359 who confirmed this a couple of weeks ago
Yes indeed. I can confirm!
mamick (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 05:52 PM
Ahmad310
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

Cant wait to see more of the Chstek units. Think I'm going to sit on the sideline and wait more feedback on the CHstek units as this one does look much better. Maybe I'll spring for a $180 CARABC carplay board to add to the existing PCM to hold me over for now, CARABC unit in my 4runner has been rock solid.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:44 PM
ratt359
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahmad310
Cant wait to see more of the Chstek units. Think I'm going to sit on the sideline and wait more feedback on the CHstek units as this one does look much better. Maybe I'll spring for a $180 CARABC carplay board to add to the existing PCM to hold me over for now, CARABC unit in my 4runner has been rock solid.
Your choice of course, but I'm delighted with mine and I know @cwb911 has recently installed one also. Seems a shame to spend money on a much more difficult install that risks damaging the original PCM.

The bigger screen is a real plus... speaking of which, to those about to receive their units, I recommend Magic Earth for offline maps and VLC as a music player (when not using CarPlay).
Old 05-03-2024, 07:03 PM
dvon
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just coming to ask some guidance about my current Android HU, which I will later on, and then I see this new HU! Well that esclated quickly!

So now I just ordered the CHSTEK unit as well, the buttons and ***** look so much more OEM. They also say that the unit supports wireless and wired carplay which the current HU doesn't. I am hopeful this will address my low Siri volume issue as well. Hopefully everything just plugs and plays.

Since I will now be going back in to the dash a couple of questions:

can you elaborate on the volume piece? Why is that needed?
Old 05-03-2024, 07:08 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmad310

Is this the unit you are referring to?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...-specification

Looks super interesting, I may try it and I guess I could sell my Mr12Volt to cover the costs!
Old 05-03-2024, 07:17 PM
mamick
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

@ratt359 I just ordered my Chstek unit and I was looking through the wiring and back of the unit pictures on this forum and on aliexpress, I was wondering how you wired power for the BU camera. When I installed my BU camera with the other Android HU I ran the power and ground all the way to the HU, I did not tap into the reverse light. I assume I will have to tap into the reverse wire on the ISO connector, is that what you did?

I assume the same thing for my MOST box which needs BATT+, ACC and GND.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:32 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 350 Posts

Mr12Volt - my good friend Ben did the install with me “helping” (holding the light etc). I have had it in for a week now and everything seems to be working pretty much as it should. I am an avid Apple user, but have not ever had a car with Carplay so there is a small learning curve to it as the apps do not have exactly the same functionality. Also took a day or two till I learned how to set which apps to show and in what order. The install itself went pretty good with a few hiccups resolved with a couple of phone calls to the US distributor who also performs installations in PA ( acsbyroman.com ). We also had an (self inflicted) issue with a firmware update and Roman connected us with the manufacturer via WhatsApp for quick resolution. So far it’s fantastic. Uses the fiber optic in the car and the PCM functionality is 100%. It also has Apple mirroring capability so one can use apps that are not Carplay compatible.

Foosh (05-06-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 02:26 AM
ratt359
Instructor

@ratt359 I just ordered my Chstek unit and I was looking through the wiring and back of the unit pictures on this forum and on aliexpress, I was wondering how you wired power for the BU camera. When I installed my BU camera with the other Android HU I ran the power and ground all the way to the HU, I did not tap into the reverse light. I assume I will have to tap into the reverse wire on the ISO connector, is that what you did?

I assume the same thing for my MOST box which needs BATT+, ACC and GND.
I can’t comment on the BU cam as I don’t have one installed (yet) but others may be able to advise.

If you ordered the MOST adapter at the same time as the HU then it will probably come pre-wired into the ISO (mine did). Makes install even easier.
mamick (05-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1