Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 07:53 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt359
You've got it. It's a great upgrade and gives you so much more than CarPlay.
p.s. don't forget the two extra FAKRA Male > SMA Male adapters (FAKRA types C and D, per this thread)
Oh yeah - thanks. I did not realize there were two types of FAKRA connectors. One for GPS(FAKRA C), the other for AM/FM (FAKRA Z) . Did you make a typo with your reference to "D" above? D is cellular and I dont have it.

I guess if I want to have a reversing, backup camera I cannot use the OEM one as its part of the black video 4 pin "FAKRA style" connector from factory harness that will remain disconnected from aftermarket HU. I would have to wire up my own aftermarket camera correct? The only tips from the thread is that get a good quality one with metal body and glass lens. Its not clear to me that the aftermarket HU will automatically switch to video mode when backing up like the PCM3.1 unit does. Can anyone confirm? I cant find any good videos of anyone wiring up one of these cameras on a cayenne 958. Ive done it in the past on other SUVs with liftgate and I wonder if Im motivated enough to fish the wire through all the panels. Maybe the sensors with graphic is good enough?

I did find this video of 360 camera install on a cayenne:
Pretty cool results but looks like a lot of work! Im having trouble mustering the motivation to do a rear camera let alone a 4 camera 360 install!

Sorry, my head is swimming with all the posts links etc. A bit overwhelming! BUT ALL THE TRAILBLAZING AND TIPS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED! You guys are hopefully saving me from the $3-5k route of replacing/programming the OEM PCM3.1!

Here is a FAKRA connector reference for anyone that cares. The color and type are obviously important. Never dealt with these before.

Last edited by tj90; 04-29-2024 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:57 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

^^^^

Yes - the backup camera switches automatically when you engage reverse gear - just like OEM.
The following users liked this post:
tj90 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 02:09 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

I wish i could have the back up camera stay on for like 5 seconds when putting it into park. Anyone figure this out? Ive tried the delay but that seems to work for "BackCam" and thats not the actual backup camera rca slot used. Unless i switch the cable.. hmmmm
Old 04-30-2024, 03:01 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
I wish i could have the back up camera stay on for like 5 seconds when putting it into park. Anyone figure this out? Ive tried the delay but that seems to work for "BackCam" and thats not the actual backup camera rca slot used. Unless i switch the cable.. hmmmm
In the old days of when a camera would work off back-up lights, you could probably build a simple circuit/relay to trigger the camera off with delay. However, seems like the setting with the camera delay would be set into the headunit if the manufacturer would program that as a setting. Request it. It would be cool to adjust and really like the OEM PCM delay.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:40 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

So I just bought the CHSTEK head unit

I got it for £317 using the discount code on the site, which was better then the one I got when I messaged CHSTEK, but if anyone wants to try it this is the code: BG01F2T59RRQ
The following 2 users liked this post by andy2111:
ratt359 (05-01-2024), ZedZed (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 05:34 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
So I just bought the CHSTEK head unit

I got it for £317 using the discount code on the site, which was better then the one I got when I messaged CHSTEK, but if anyone wants to try it this is the code: BG01F2T59RRQ
Welcome to (yet another) owners club @andy2111 !
Old 05-01-2024, 10:29 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to all. I just purchased the 8G +256G head unit from Skyshadow. Added the optical box. Capital One suggested "NEWUS25OFF" coupon code that worked ($25 off). I also registered Aliexpress in their shopping app for another 3% rewards. Thanks to everyone. Hopefully the open hole in my dash will have a decent carplay HU soon!
The following users liked this post:
ratt359 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 10:45 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Damn you guys are gonna make me buy another unit.. Ill await more reviews from those who had Erisin
Old 05-01-2024, 11:03 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Switching direction here, has anyone been able to find a F/R MOST box? With 4 connections instead of 2? I kinda want to try it out and see if we could get even more control of the rear end. I find that theyre too quiet to give you good 360 hearing. (Me being nit picky again)
There was a 4 channel MOST box available from Russia a while back. I tried to find it again with no luck, so maybe it is no longer on offer. Unless you like surround sound or Dolby 5.1 in the car, TBH there isn't much advantage to having 4 channel MOST anyway IMO. The OEM setup only duplicates the front channels to the rear* so all you are getting is a better fader. I found that by messing with the settings (see earlier posts) I can get enough sound coming from the rear to satisfy me, but I still balance it predominately to the front.

* I think I might be right in saying that PCM 3.1 offered some sort of pseudo-surround sound effect, but it was truly horrible and I would imagine most people turned it off.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:21 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
There was a 4 channel MOST box available from Russia a while back. I tried to find it again with no luck, so maybe it is no longer on offer. Unless you like surround sound or Dolby 5.1 in the car, TBH there isn't much advantage to having 4 channel MOST anyway IMO. The OEM setup only duplicates the front channels to the rear* so all you are getting is a better fader. I found that by messing with the settings (see earlier posts) I can get enough sound coming from the rear to satisfy me, but I still balance it predominately to the front.

* I think I might be right in saying that PCM 3.1 offered some sort of pseudo-surround sound effect, but it was truly horrible and I would imagine most people turned it off.
Interesting. Maybe i am super sensitive to sound direction, but the Erisin definitely lacks in the rear part of the car. Like mentioned a while ago, there is sound coming from the rear, but its VERY muted to the point where i might as well not even have the speakers in there. Playing with the fader got me no where except lower volume. I Might try tracking down the russian and see if there is any difference.

Maybe a stupid idea, but what if i used a 2 to 1 splitter from the most box, and one to the f/r on the Erisin harness. TO at least give it more direction. Maybe ill give that ago for fun

Last edited by RwdConnor; 05-01-2024 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:27 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Interesting. Maybe i am super sensitive to sound direction, but the Erisin definitely lacks in the rear part of the car. Like mentioned a while ago, there is sound coming from the rear, but its VERY muted to the point where i might as well not even have the speakers in there. Playing with the fader got me no where except lower volume. I Might try tracking down the russian and see if there is any difference.
It's not just the fader you need to check out. You need to go into the EQ section and find the DSP adjustments and then check out the different tabs. Somewhere in that lot there are sliders you can adjust that will send the sound from front to rear. I did a detailed post on it earlier in the thread for another member. Have a look and see if you can find it - if not let me know and I'll go over it again. Note that while this made a big difference in my Panamera (which has a totally different HU), in the Cayman, not so much, But this is because the Cayman doesn't really have a 'rear space', with the seat backs tight up against the bulkhead. In the 911 of course, you do have some rear space so YMMV. It's worth finding the settings and having a go, but success is not guaranteed (that oiught to be the motto for these units )
Old 05-01-2024, 11:36 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Here we go - I found the pics in my Rennlist gallery (easier than trying to find the posts.

First find this screen

Then explore this tab and the Sound Field tab

Adjust here
Old 05-01-2024, 12:56 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Messing with the sound field does virtually nothing for me, honestly. The surround option i still play with but the notable changes there are just left to right on the dash speakers and door
Old 05-01-2024, 03:55 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Messing with the sound field does virtually nothing for me, honestly. The surround option i still play with but the notable changes there are just left to right on the dash speakers and door
Interesting. You did have a 4 channel setup on the OEM PCM, I assume? It's all a bit hazy for me now as it's been months since I last saw a stock OEM setup. If your original setup was just 2ch stereo, the rear output would just be a copy of the front output. So moving more sound to the rear speakers will just move the whole stereo image 'back' in the car. This would place a vocal as if the singer's head is on your left shoulder (assuming all speakers are being sent equal signal level). Is that what you are after?

Of course, in a proper multichannel system, say 5.1 Dolby, you would have different signals sent to FL, C. FR. RL and RR (with the .1 being the sub) for a true surround sound effect. If there is no Centre speaker than a 4 channel system will 'phantom' the centre channel. What I can't be sure of is whether any of the older (or newer for that matter) Porsches have multichannel surround setups or just 2 ch stereo?

The next question would be, what sources do you have that output a multichannel signal? No UK radio, as far as I know does, neither does the vast majority of Tidal or YT Music. Netflix and Prime do for movies, but I am guessing you don't watch movies much in your car

What I am getting at is what is the point of just moving a 2ch stereo image 'back in the car? Of course, if that is what you want, there doesn't have to be a purpose to it - it's just what you want.

If the PCM 3.1 is 2 channel, then a 4 channel MOST box won't give you anything. All it will be able to do is copy the stereo signal to two more speakers. Also, if the PCM really is just 2 channel, then you won't have any source inputs to plug to the MOST box anyway - you'd have to splice the 2 ch leads to create two more, and if you are going to have to do that, you could do it anyway without an additional most box. All in all, I can't see the purpose of a 4 ch MOST box (which is maybe why there are none) - the Porsche optical connector for BOSE is only 2 channel.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:02 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

After some trials and tribulations, I successfully got the Isudar board version 3.0 with the new "filtered" harness to work flawlessly. However, now I'm facing a challenge reinstalling the unit into my 991.1 due to the bulky filter box. I attempted using a 14-inch zip-tie, but it was either too short or too thin. If anyone has successfully reinserted the "filtered" PCM 3.1 unit into the dash, could you please share your methodology? It’s frustrating to be this close, yet hindered by the last step of the reinsertion process. (excuse the cross post to the Panamera board)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1