991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024 | 04:11 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

So, I did a little bit of research about IDCORE and it looks like they have their own box that is different from the Joyauto. The attached picture shows their box for Land rover and if you zoom in, their box looks like what you have. At least it has the same labels.

Old 01-13-2024 | 07:28 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

@andy2111 . Also, based on the picture that seems to show the IDCORE box, it looks like the camera may be connected to the box. When you follow ZedZed steps, make sure that you check that the rear camera is working correctly. The IDCORE box most likely rely on the PCM board to display the rear camera. And the PCM with the IDCORE board is now out of the picture.
If the camera is not working, should not be a big deal, you will have to disconnect the camera from the existing IDCORE box and run an extension for the video RCA and the power cables of the camera from the existing IDCORE box location to the new HU and connect the camera cables to the new HU pigtail. This should be easy as you can run the extension under the carpet in the passenger footwell and the pigtail wires of the new HU have clear labels. Look at https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post19097889
But again, follow ZedZed suggestions and check the camera first.
Let us know how it goes. You are a few steps away to enjoy a great HU with a wealth of great features. Keep going

Last edited by Chuck245; 01-13-2024 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (01-13-2024)
Old 01-14-2024 | 04:52 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Thank you everyone for the feedback, ideas and encouragement!

You know I only quickly leant into the footwell to snap a picture of the Focal box and didn't really look at it properly myself. Thank's to Chuck's eagle eye zooming in to the photo I agree it does look like that is the external box - if it is, it will make completing the job a whole lot easier.

I have a few chores to do this morning, but hopefully I can spend some more time on it this afternoon. If I can get the old cable out so I can properly test the new HU that will be good progress, and I'll follow Zed's test procedure to check everything out.

I'll update again once I have some more news - thanks again for all your support!

I've been an active member on UK Land Rover forums for a number of years, and I find the sense of passion for the marque and comminity here just as strong. I hope to be able to play my part and contribute something new once I get the HU working!
Old 01-14-2024 | 08:31 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
Thank you everyone for the feedback, ideas and encouragement!

You know I only quickly leant into the footwell to snap a picture of the Focal box and didn't really look at it properly myself. Thank's to Chuck's eagle eye zooming in to the photo I agree it does look like that is the external box - if it is, it will make completing the job a whole lot easier.

I have a few chores to do this morning, but hopefully I can spend some more time on it this afternoon. If I can get the old cable out so I can properly test the new HU that will be good progress, and I'll follow Zed's test procedure to check everything out.

I'll update again once I have some more news - thanks again for all your support!

I've been an active member on UK Land Rover forums for a number of years, and I find the sense of passion for the marque and comminity here just as strong. I hope to be able to play my part and contribute something new once I get the HU working!
Andy, I am close to 100% certain that the unit in your earlier photo is NOT the Carplay ID-Core box. Here is an image of the Focal K2 Power kit taken from a car audio website. You will see that the kit comprises an amp and some speakers. The area I have circled in yellow is identical to what I can see in your photo of the unit in your car. Also, the ID-Core box will not have audio connections such as those you can see in your photo.

So please do not remove this Focal box or you will lose your sound, which will complicate the install, not simplify it.

Try, if possible, to trace the wiring back from the bottom left corner of the PCM hole back to wherever it goes and I think you will find it goes to somewhere behind the glovebox. If you're lucky, it will go to a location you can access. But there is no need to remove the ID Core box anyway. Your only impediment at the moment is that wire that is attached to the PCM.

Old 01-14-2024 | 08:42 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Andy - also look at these images side by side. I have arrowed the lettering 'The Spirit of Sound' and 'Elite - K2 Power . . .' You can see the identical markings on the image from the car audio website.

Andy's image:

Car audio site image:

If you look closely, there are other indications that the two units are one and the same.

Old 01-14-2024 | 08:52 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Chuck is right that the wiring you can see is the same as the wiring on the ID Core Landrover image he found. You can see the two halves of the connector here in this image (circled).

But if I follow the wiring attached to the female (lower, in the pic) half of the connector, it seems to disappear out of the image - I presume it is going to the ID Core box which is located someplace we can't see it, in the photo anyway. To the back of the glove box?

I'd honestly ignore this ID Core box and leave it in place, wherever it is. Once disconnected from the PCM it won't cause any issues.

Old 01-14-2024 | 09:27 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Hi Zed,

Thanks for your messages - I am making progress!

If you look at Chuck's message and the photo he looked at, in the top left hand corner there is some lettering.... and that was the tell tale sign where the IDCORE box was located

Don't worry, I haven't touched the Focal amp And thanks for the research, its great to know I have an audio upgrade already, which should sound awesome when I get the new HU working. Progress so far today:

- Located and removed the IDCORE unit
- Had to cut the IDCORE loom from inside the HU void in order to get the wires out. Didn't want to do it, but really didnt want to remove a load more trim panels and/or the glove box. So I now have it all removed.
- Uncoiled the reverse cam RCA (near the focal amp) and found it will reach across the footwell to the new HU.
- Found the reverse cam live feed - I will need to connect that to the new HU
- Found an external mic cable that must have been added to the IDCORE, so with an extension cable I can conect that to the new HU
- Did a quick test of the new HU - it still works! I played some audio and got the FM radio working. I also noted the door open/close was working in the main cluster and also the front parking sensor was displaying the graphic on the HU. I need to do a lot more testing, but that's progress!

Here's the IDCORE unit

My PCM has factory DAB radio - do you think the DAB antenna input is the green one? Its is labelled XM (SDARS) on the diagrams I'ver seen but wonder if in the UK/EU is is the DAB radio in put. If it is then I bought the wrong adapter to plug into the USB DAB radio that I bought.

Also, as you look at the original PCM from behind there are two connetors, a yellow/mustard one which I think is (old and slow) USB and a black one which says instrument cluster video connection. I assume the black one is left disconnected and the yellow one is replaced by the USBs that come with the HU?

Going to head back out now as I want to plug in a few more connections to see what happens - Hopefully more progress and I am sure a few more questions too!

Old 01-14-2024 | 09:47 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Andy - brilliant progress.

I think the green connector is DAB, mostly because I can't see anything else it could be.

The yellow FAKRA is definitely the USB. You can plug the OEM connector directly into the port at the top right of the new HU and that will give you your original USB connectivity. This is useful because it means you can plug your phone into it and it will automatically connect to CP/AA. This is useful if you have wireless connectivity issues from time to time, so do be sure to plug your OEM yellow FAKRA in.

The black one at lower left of the PCM is indeed the instrument video cluster (multifunction display, MFD) connector. On OEM, this connector transmits the PCM's satnav map data and radio station data to the MFD. You will lose this functionality for obvious reasons. I suggest you go into the MFD settings and disable the radio, telephone and satnav display options, as these functions will now be performed by the new HU and seeing 'blank' screens in the MFD will surely drive you nuts (well, it did me).

Good news about that Audio upgrade. Focal is a respected audio brand, so your car should sound good.

I think you are almost there and can then begin the long, but more fun, process of setting the whole thong up the way you like it. You will need to go in to 'Factory' settings for this, so be sure to have the unlock code ready. On my Cayman unit the code is 3368, but yours may be different (seems to depend on the seller and their particular variation of Android code).

Old 01-14-2024 | 09:51 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

This diagram shows where the OEM yellow FAKRA plug goes. This wasn't initially obvious to me and I missed it first time around. You will also have the other USB ports from the new HU of course, and if I recall correctly you also bought a small USB hub to give you even more. You can never have too many!

The diagram below may not be exactly the same as your unit but it is likely to be as close as makes no difference.

Old 01-14-2024 | 10:08 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

That's really helpful, thank you!

I have a really loud beep every time I press any button on the HU - it's way louder than any audio I'm playing - have you experienced this?

I'm not familiar with all the settings yet but hopfully can find out how to turn it off
Old 01-14-2024 | 10:11 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

That's really helpful, thank you!

I have a really loud beep every time I press any button on the HU - it's way louder than any audio I'm playing - have you experienced this?

I'm not familiar with all the settings yet but hopfully can find out how to turn it off
Yeah, there's a menu setting to turn that irritating beep off. I can't remember where it is (and my wife is away for the weekend so her car isn't available for me to check for you) - but it's somewhere obvious. Poke around and you will find it I am sure. It isn't in the Factory menu AFAIK.
Old 01-14-2024 | 10:41 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Hi Zed,

- Had to cut the IDCORE loom from inside the HU void in order to get the wires out. Didn't want to do it, but really didnt want to remove a load more trim panels and/or the glove box. So I now have it all removed.
I like it! A bold, but necessary move. I didn't want to say before, so as not to influence you unduly in your decision, but that is exactly what I would have done, but at the PCM end instead of the other end. Your way is better since I would have left the ID Core box in the car whereas removing it is a more elegant solution. Looking forward to further progress reports.
Old 01-14-2024 | 11:11 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

So I got the beep switched off and I tested out the USB which worked and immediately set up Android Auto :-)

I'm about to solder some wire to the reverse cam output on the HU so I can test that out which may be as far as I get today

One thing I noticed is I can hear a regular relay clicking sound - I think I read about this on another foum, but i have too much stuff half done at the moment to try to figure out any kind of trigger or pattern - one for later..
The following 2 users liked this post by andy2111:
Chuck245 (01-14-2024), ZedZed (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024 | 11:39 AM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Catching up while drinking my morning tea and looks like great progress made. Sorry if I was not very clear about which box I was pointing to in the picture and created confusion with the audio box. Happy you figured it out.
Old 01-14-2024 | 11:47 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck245
Catching up while drinking my morning tea and looks like great progress made. Sorry if I was not very clear about which box I was pointing to in the picture and created confusion with the audio box. Happy you figured it out.
It was an amazing spot! Even after you explained it, it took me some time to figure out where the markings were. I was focused on the power amp and never got to looking at the corner of the ID Core box peeking out there. Andy has done a great job so far!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1