Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I wouldn't be surprised if there are differences between the versions of the letter being sent by the different regional Porsche entities - PCNA vs PAG vs Porsche UK (or whatever it is called).
I'm sure you're right, it just surprises me that since Porsche must know that all this stuff gets shared and compared on the web that they wouldn't issue one statement for all regional entities to use.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm sure you're right
I am not.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

On Pistonheads a recent post stated that there is also a Production Stop in effect. Anyone have any confirmation on that?

Ryan
Old 02-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This

Last edited by Macca; 02-21-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, @Macca.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Late last year there was a mention of crank failures by two or three posters that were dismissed by most as trolls starting rumours... One must now wonder if in fact these cases were true and the subsequent delays we saw have obviously not resolved the problem. If so, this begs the question, if they couldn't sort it out in the past 4-5 months whilst under wraps, how long will it take them to sort it out now...

I hope Porsche didn't put this car into production with fingers crossed knowing that there may have been a bottom end issue. Leaky fittings is one thing, grenading bottom ends is game over for customer confidence in the GT3 and soon to follow RS imo.....
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This really is an exciting thread to read, but for all the wrong reasons. My empathy to all who have a type 991 GT3 and can no longer enjoy it (only temporarily I hope). And I do want to thank all of the early adopters, you've had pleasure and pain, but your willingness to take the risk and test by trial and error is much appreciated [by me].

As to the recent bit on the "letter" and specifically compensation. IMHO there will be compensation, in fact Mike has already been offered such in a loaner. If you expect there will be cash compensation due to lease payments, loss of use, added depreciation, etc, doubtful that will be announced in specific terms. Rather it will most likely be a negotiation between buyer and seller/manufacturer.

So keep the info coming, the beauty of this board and others like it is the comparative power to sift through and challenge the various documents and assertions by an extremely large and mostly intelligent group, weeding out the rumor and honing down on the facts; it may take a day or two, but usually the facts do seem to make their way to the surface. Cheers!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Macca. That letter makes more sense.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@911rox -- I hear what you're saying, but those posters literally popped up, made their claims (about thrown rods in press cars...), then (poof!) vanished. Those claims were not mentioned anywhere else and were not substantiated in any way.

We still know nothing other than the fact that the engine and crankcase sustained damage in both fires. We do not know if the cause of the fires originated there or elsewhere.

As for PAG crossing their fingers? I disagree it's that as a possibility. To recklessly put out one of their halo 911 products market KNOWING about a potentially life threatening fault?! I don't believe that to be a possibility. For what? To release a product and gain revenue / profit on 785 units?!?! While risking not only lives, but also reputation and liability for damages? I can't fathom that.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Yeah,like Saaed...he's been blamed by God knows what...he did this he did that. All unfounded rumors just like some happening right now.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Pushing the envelope always has it's problems.

Back in the day Porsche created a design and kept working it until it was perfect or as perfect as man can do. IMHO, the current bean counters and engineering are not on par with past results. To be sure they are building some very high specific output engines but at what price? If it is indeed a faulty part I'm fairly disappointed but not completely surprised. Were Herr Piech in charge, heads would roll.

Porsche have never made a perfect car but they have built cars that held up quite well and didn't break the bank when the SHTF.

I hope this gets worked out to everyone's satisfaction. Nothing like that feeling of being let down or having no trust in your horse. I'd let them fix it and then sell it. But that's just me. I'm not one for second chances where equipment is involved.

Good luck all.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

It appears there will be considerable delay regarding the repair and return of the cars to the owners. Porsche does not sound optimistic about a quick fix.
I am not sure how long I am willing to wait. OTOH, there are not many good alternatives to the GT3.

FWIW, I believe the RS will also be impacted. It is also possible Porsche is looking at other 991 engines.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
So you are saying:

Porsche dealer: Hi mr. A, Stop driving your car and park it. We car coming with a tow truck to pick up your car.
Mr. A: OK.
1/2 later: Gone.

Nothing else?

Your honor I have no more questions.
That is exactly what happened. He thought it the prudent thing to do.

I agree.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Late last year there was a mention of crank failures by two or three posters that were dismissed by most as trolls starting rumours... One must now wonder if in fact these cases were true and the subsequent delays we saw have obviously not resolved the problem. If so, this begs the question, if they couldn't sort it out in the past 4-5 months whilst under wraps, how long will it take them to sort it out now...

I hope Porsche didn't put this car into production with fingers crossed knowing that there may have been a bottom end issue. Leaky fittings is one thing, grenading bottom ends is game over for customer confidence in the GT3 and soon to follow RS imo.....
Chris Im sure your not trying to fuel this fire (no pun intended0 or anything but here the reasons I dont believe what you say has any validity....

1). The failed bottom end post last year was a single German based poster with a couple of posts to his name. No one else claimed to have any knoweldger of this.

2). The information the above poster stated was behind the delays was indeed incorrect. There was never any bottom end concern with the engine.

3). The two cars that have recently caught fuire were both newly delivered. One purportedly only had 60 km on the clock according to our Italian poster.

4). There are three cars I know of (including the GB press car) which have done over 8000 miles now, all of them track hacks and demos. No issues.

5). Porsche say they have manufactured 785 cars since September 2013 (5.5 months). As we know the September and October manufactured cars were quarantined until production re opened in early Nov 2014 when cars like mine and other ROW UK etc cars were built. Some of these cars now have 5-10,000 customer KMs on them. I can name 10 that are well over 5000km in Europe with track use to boot. Of those 785 cars manufactured I would estimate 150 at least are in transit or not yet delivered to customers, but that makes 500+ cars that have been delivered since early Nov 2013 that have run around the place without any notable issues (a few faulty thermostats aside).

Dont you find it strange that two newly delivered not yet run in cars develop crank case related faults but cars like mine and many others have elicited not problems. Surely if a car can throw a rod through a crank case in the first 100km (once assumes when run up to 7000 rpm+ etc) then it would have happened to myself and others by now?

Interestingly the recent bolt and bracket campaign didnt apply to my VIN, Mikes or any of the other cars I know for certain were built in week 45/46/47 2013. Im not 1000% sure of teh cut over for that part but I believe it was cars manufactured from a certain date in Jan 2014 (most of which were still shipping).

Dont you find all this a little bit curious?

If I were a betting man I would say Porsche have very cautiously reacted to prevent litigation in the USA and elsewhere by blanket freezing all cars until they can determine the date range and suspect component, supplier and batch. I personally believe (i.e. opinion) that this is islotaed to a group of cars produced since mid Jan 2014, many of which are on the water, at Emden or in Dealerships awaiting delivery (some may have already been delivered). I believe that the bulk of these cars were for USA delivery not ROW and this has probably accelerated Porsches seriousness in guaranteeing all cars.

I understand its with glee that many on the 997 GT3 boards point at this and claim its evidence that the 991 GT3 is a POS. I think the 991 GT3 was born from a troubled birth and will give trouble throughout its life to thgose who hold everything old school dear. Being 100% firmly old skool myself (I thought the 996 GT3 was not nearly as good as the 993RS when I owned both!) I bought the 991 GT3 as an experiment to be challenged - this I have noted many times on this board in the last 12 months - and I guess in some ways it has definitely fulfilled that wish!

That being said my early build (late Nov 2013) 991 GT3 which I picked ip in the first few days of Decemeber was thrashed Merciless on some of teh best back roads Ive had the pleasure of driving (even compared to Tassi and NZ Targa!) and for a month delivered some amazing drives. Never let me down and 3500km used 200ml oil running in. Hasnt been subject to a single campaign either right up till last week (see attached 17 Feb). Bloody brilliant car which SHOULD be scaring the old skool guys as it has my eyes wide open and it seems there are many respectable motor journos and professional drivers who also feel the same....

Maybe Im just drinking the cool aid but I half expect a call in a few weeks time when my car arrives on the ship from Europe to say "your all fine your VIN wasnt affected". I hope so :-).

For those who are affected, dependant on the cause there will be an outcome and Porsche will repair/fix this fault or give you your money back.

Id quietly love it of they recalled all of them to the factory for crushing! Id refuse to give them mine. Will be worth a fortune in 10 years time and I can retire LOL!. I remember years ago buying a few collectable items that had been recalled by manufacturers and werent supposed to exist (they were all supposed to be returned for full refund. One was a Carbon Fibre Monte Blanc Razor that uses a Gillette head (Mach 3) which was made without correct license from Gilette by Monte Blanc - all were recalled barr a few - those things are worth a mint now - other was BMW "scooter" that matched my "Street Carver" BMW skateboard - those are also worth a mint now). My late grandfather was a well known antiques and collectables guy in London. He told me - son as soon as they recall something desirable go and pay 10% extra to buy all you can , stash them away and sell them later LOL!

Now I digress.....
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
We still know nothing other than the fact that the engine and crankcase sustained damage in both fires. We do not know if the cause of the fires originated there or elsewhere.
The press release/letter clearly states the cause of the fire -

...the crankcase was significantly damaged. Leaking engine oil ignited on the hot engine components, causing the vehicles to catch fire.
Originally Posted by 0Q991
As for PAG crossing their fingers? I disagree it's that as a possibility. To recklessly put out one of their halo 911 products market KNOWING about a potentially life threatening fault?!
Maybe they didn't realize/know about the risk of the fire back then, thought it was just small risk of few blown engines probably more economically taken care of via a warranty repair. But unfortunately for them the fires happened. Just speculating. Yea, I too don't believe Porsche would knowingly risk lives. But then again CLs hint otherwise.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?