Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Porsche NA backed themselves into a corner last week. They said they "almost know" whats wrong, and they will let us know the solution this week. So... If they simply don't call this week, even though they said they would, it will really put people over the edge.

I do not think GT3's would continue to roll off the assembly line if Porsche was going to buy them back, and we have multiple accounts of them still being produced (in person at the factory, as well as orders progressing). Most recently, mine, which I am watching carefully as it progresses through production.
For my own edification could you point me to where we have a car that progressed to a confirmed marriage (chassis meets engine) or production complete for a car that started production after 11 Feb 2014?

Ryan
Old 03-13-2014, 01:56 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Called PCNA - They were fairly consistent with their letter of last week. Engineers have made progress and we should be hearing something soon... I believe she said a "few days".
Old 03-13-2014, 01:59 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
For my own edification could you point me to where we have a car that progressed to a confirmed marriage (chassis meets engine) or production complete for a car that started production after 11 Feb 2014?

Ryan
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but there was a post last week from a member who visited the factory and saw them being produced. I guess that could mean being produced up to the point of engine install... I don't remember the specific verbiage.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:00 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paver
Tarnish its reputation...LOL
That's what they did last year with the centerlock track maintenance schedule handwashing move. They told me it wasn't an issue because most owners don't track the GT3's. What about us that do? We don't matter...
This is the most disappointing fact coming out of this fiasco...
While I really do feel the pain of the owners of 991 GT3, and wish a speedy and fair solution to the issue, I cannot just glance over the following:
(i) Porsche does not stand for values it claims it stands for in its marketing communication,
(ii) Porsche does not stand for the values it used to stand for in previous years.

Using a line from one of the GM's failed brand exercises:
It (Porsche) is a different kind of company,
it (GT3) is a different kind of car.

I stick to my team even when it is going through rough times, and I will do so with Porsche. But I do hope they find the proper course soon.

Best,
w
Old 03-13-2014, 02:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Tarnish its reputation...LOL That's what they did last year with the centerlock track maintenance schedule handwashing move. They told me it wasn't an issue because most owners don't track the GT3's. What about us that do? We don't matter...
Are you sure they said most GT3 owners don't track?!
Because I've heard AP in multiple interviews talking about the 991GT3,that 80% of GT3 owners track their cars!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wurlie
This is the most disappointing fact coming out of this fiasco...
While I really do feel the pain of the owners of 991 GT3, and wish a speedy and fair solution to the issue, I cannot just glance over the following:
(i) Porsche does not stand for values it claims it stands for in its marketing communication,
(ii) Porsche does not stand for the values it used to stand for in previous years.

Using a line from one of the GM's failed brand exercises:
It (Porsche) is a different kind of company,
it (GT3) is a different kind of car.

I stick to my team even when it is going through rough times, and I will do so with Porsche. But I do hope they find the proper course soon.

Best,
w
I'm afraid it will only get worse with VW in control
Old 03-13-2014, 02:07 PM
dsc999
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but there was a post last week from a member who visited the factory and saw them being produced. I guess that could mean being produced up to the point of engine install... I don't remember the specific verbiage.
I was the post last Friday from the factory. The GT3s I saw were in various phases on the production line. I did witness one drive out of the factory, one that was married as I stood and watched and one getting its wheels and tires (happens after the marriage obviously). What I didn't see was a parking lot full of quarantined GT3s. I saw a handful parked (and marked) around the facility presumably waiting to go to transport. When I asked if they were all being quarantined and held there in zuffenhausen the tour guide said yes.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:07 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

My car still says it is scheduled for V260, Vehicle entry to body shop (CP 0.0) tomorrow.

Porsche just must be producing the chassis and waiting to marry the engine.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dsc999
I was the post last Friday from the factory. The GT3s I saw were in various phases on the production line. I did witness one drive out of the factory, one that was married as I stood and watched and one getting its wheels and tires (happens after the marriage obviously). What I didn't see was a parking lot full of quarantined GT3s. I saw a handful parked (and marked) around the facility presumably waiting to go to transport. When I asked if they were all being quarantined and held there in zuffenhausen the tour guide said yes.
What date did you visit the factory?

Thanks - Ryan
Old 03-13-2014, 02:14 PM
dsc999
Track Day

What date did you visit the factory?

Thanks - Ryan
7 March....last Friday
Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc999
7 March....last Friday
well, the other possibility is that they have a fix and new production is obtaining the fix. That would suggest the cars newly produced are just being held for PR purposes? Perplexing
Old 03-13-2014, 02:21 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
well, the other possibility is that they have a fix and new production is obtaining the fix. That would suggest the cars newly produced are just being held for PR purposes? Perplexing
Also completely possible that they have engine components flowing from the supply chain so they build the chassis, assemble the engines, install the engines and if the fix requires an engine swap, they swap engines in those cars also.

Ryan
Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Called PCNA - They were fairly consistent with their letter of last week. Engineers have made progress and we should be hearing something soon... I believe she said a "few days".
Don't get too excited. I ordered a custom knife once that was "almost done" for about 18 months! Who knows what a "few days" means in German?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Oh the irony. Here I was very early on the wait list at my dealer and what does it get me? A car sitting on a dock, buried in snow for the last month. When it gets to the dealer: heart transplant. And all of this so it gets to me at the same time, maybe even later than someone behind me on the wait list gets their factory-fixed machine!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Also completely possible that they have engine components flowing from the supply chain so they build the chassis, assemble the engines, install the engines and if the fix requires an engine swap, they swap engines in those cars also.

Ryan
On the other hand, few cars are affected and allows Porsche to proceed with producing new GT3's. Had this involved a replacement of engines for all built and delivered Gt3's, Porsche would have to prioritize those cars for engines. The cost of loaner cars and other expenses to waiting owners would drive the priority list. The delay is identifying the cars affected.

Hey, I am grasping at straws.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?