Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,637 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
It appears there will be considerable delay regarding the repair and return of the cars to the owners. Porsche does not sound optimistic about a quick fix.
where did u hear that?

not doubting you, just want to learn more.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

macca, while it may sound that way, but i dont think the 997 brethens are that gleeful. it's just a situation where one doesn't know to laugh, smile, cry or cuss.

it's probably the 2nd time that 911 gets NEW design (first was 996) and everyone is scare or confused with the NEW stuff. i dont know what i am saying or what i want. but i sure hope it's fixed soon so i can enjoy one of the new paddles like you and mike in CA have been.

finally, it's friday here in USA. some of us are wating time in office trying to make the clock go faster so we can go home and prep for trackday..... thus we blabber... all in good cheer.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Macca, I appreciate your optimism and pep talk. At this point in time we all need it.

FWIW, my concern is not whether Porsche will find and fix the problem. My concern will be what the fix is. Not sure how I will deal with it.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well @Macca -- I always respect your opinion even when it means that my car (produced Week 4/5 and currently on a boat) is one of those that may be affected.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ nick i dont know how long you have been with porsche, every model is f'd up

quad cam 356, there are like 2 ppl in the world who can tune it right
911 SC has bad chain tensioner, exploding air box, self destruct clutch
964 no head gasket, think women forgot pads tampons at the wrong time..... messy
993, wiring harness, and if you swing the door too fast, ckeck strap breaks, door flies off. LSA dynamic rear toe, 3 ppl in the world can get it right (ok, i am exagerating now)
996, it's loud, no not the engine, the cheap plastic interior outsource to my home country... think asia
997, oh... the clutch just failes and chews up flywheel and some times the bell housing too. and the intake flap gets eaten and engine kabooms.
991 just a little fire.... it will be fixed.

that said, it's always interesting to chat about the issues and pain we go through....
Old 02-21-2014, 08:15 PM
0Q991
Drifting

@sunnyr -- Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I'm being picky / naive / crazy, but that quote about the crankcase I understand--but what we do NOT know is whether something occurred FIRST and if the crankcase and engine damage and fire was subsequent to the initial event. My point is that (for now) it seems like they do not know and surely we do not know.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Macca. This is why I have a very short fuse with negative posters with no history, posters who don't intend to buy and insinuate negativity on the 991 on every post. There is only 2 posters who is the latter but do contribute which may be helpful that I know of.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
The press release/letter clearly states the cause of the fire -
It seems odd to me that if "our engineers are still working intensively on analysing the engine problems" anyone would put out information about the sequence of events that caused the 2 fires.

Since we're speculating, my guess is that someone in UK customer service, not Porsche AG, issued this letter with premature details and has already gotten their *** chewed by Corporate for jumping the gun.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:21 PM
0Q991
Drifting

^^+1, Mike.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
macca, while it may sound that way, but i dont think the 997 brethens are that gleeful. it's just a situation where one doesn't know to laugh, smile, cry or cuss.

it's probably the 2nd time that 911 gets NEW design (first was 996) and everyone is scare or confused with the NEW stuff. i dont know what i am saying or what i want. but i sure hope it's fixed soon so i can enjoy one of the new paddles like you and mike in CA have been.

finally, it's friday here in USA. some of us are wating time in office trying to make the clock go faster so we can go home and prep for trackday..... thus we blabber... all in good cheer.
Thanks Mooty. Thats quite an endorsement for the 991 GT3 coming form somoen such as yourself.

You beat me to it but I was about to say how short peoples memory is. I remember only 10 years ago being on the 993 board when a few guys lost their cars to fire caused by a faulty wiring loom - after EJ instigated a support letter from this forum Porsche were forced to fess up and replace EVERY SINGLE engine wiring loom world wide including mine in NZ!

Just as a side note you are welcome to travel to NZ any time you like and drive my 991 GT3 ragged on some of our fantastic driving roads. I for one will be driving this car to the dealer myself should/if the time come when I have to return it for some work due to this "recall". If the damn thing didnt burn myself and my wife to a cinder in Europe over 30 days of driving it daily I strongly suspect its not going to toast my *** on a 15km trip to the dealer. Sure that may sound irresponsible but I wont be travelling with loved ones ;-)

Lastly OPQ911 - Im sorry if my comments were negative for you. They were pure conjecture as I openly stated - I just cant accept Porsche build and designed this engine which country demostrators have been trashing mercilessly in Europe and UK now for month or road, journos, track etc including my own very direct experiences and all of a sudden its an endemic design fault? Two cars with barely delivery mileage go up in flames in the last two weeks but guys like Sam and others in the USA have been going to weekend track days and have 2000+ miles on them? If you installed a new batch of crankshaft bearings in the bottom end and they parted from their casingas at high rpm and threw a conrod which gushed lires of hot oil onto the cat converter and caused a fire - yip I understand. If you are telling me those same bearings are in my engine or some that have done 5-1000 miles out there Id ask, surely why havent they failed yet? To me this sounds like a bottom end component failure, and could be down to a batch of supplied components. I guess Porsche are working on thios. Heck it could be something totally unrelated like an oil tube joint as previously rumoured....fact is you dont have your car yet so when you finally do it will be sorted. period. Thats the best I can offer sorry mate!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It seems odd to me that if "our engineers are still working intensively on analysing the engine problems" anyone would put out information about the sequence of events that caused the 2 fires.

Since we're speculating, my guess is that someone in UK customer service, not Porsche AG, issued this letter with premature details and has already gotten their *** chewed by Corporate for jumping the gun.
Mike, the quote I posted was from the letter Porsche to European dealers that Macca posted here - https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...p-sale-31.html. Not the 'UK letter'.

Any way I don't mean to get too caught in the negative emotions around this. Like Stronbl said, my sympathies for the affected people. but it is just a car again and hope all this gets resolved successfully.

1 More hour before TGIF!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Haha. No offense taken at all, @Macca! Like you and I have communicated previously--it is what it is. Eventually, it will be resolved and when I'm finally on the road, I'm sure I'll quickly forget the hiccups of these final weeks.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Wtf is up with cars catching fire?Multiple Ferrari's/Lamborghini /Tesla/Porsche it's weird.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Wtf is up with cars catching fire?Multiple Ferrari's/Lamborghini /Tesla/Porsche it's weird.
Sadly: https://rennlist.com/forums/11152151-post400.html

the fact is, cars harness energy from something that runs on oxidizing certain fuels; that stuff burns. Also, they rely on electricity in some form... that stuff can short, etc.

It's impossible for this to never happen. We just always hope it doesn't happen with our cars, or the models we want to buy. But it happens. The reassuring thing for me is the fact that PAG is taking sweeping, drastic measures to ensure safety while investigating a suitable resolution.
But yes, ugh. It's annoying/weird, and I wish it didn't happen.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Mike, the quote I posted was from the letter Porsche to European dealers that Macca posted here - https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...p-sale-31.html. Not the 'UK letter'.

Any way I don't mean to get too caught in the negative emotions around this. Like Stronbl said, my sympathies for the affected people. but it is just a car again and hope all this gets resolved successfully.

1 More hour before TGIF!
I thought it was the same letter or at the least that it had the same "we're still looking into it" language. For some reason I can't find Macca's letter with your link to compare but anyway if I was wrong in my assumption, my bad.

Didn't mean to come across as a negative to your comment, sunnyr; your post just triggered my musings. Your weekend should be here by now,; enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?