Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Am seriously considering the Speciale ...

I'll assume you've had a chance to compare both before the down tools on the GT3...

how do they contrast?
Bill, I haven't actually, since I've barely driven the GT3 before the Speciale arrived. And did 1,500 km in the latter in the 10 days that I have it. And I'm selling the GT3...

The Speciale is at another level, if you ask me. Which it should be, considering the price is more than double. Sure, the new GT3 is an amazing and very capable car, but the Speciale is in another galaxy when you're on it. The cornering speed and braking are insane. Yet it is relatively decent when you want or have to drive it normally.

Here's the message that I got from a new friend, a Cayman R owner, after he joined me in the Speciale as a passenger, on a road familiar to him in lots of (very) fast cars:
"That drive in the Speciale decimated and obliterated what I thought was fast and capable in a road car, so much so cerebral readjustment was required afterwards. I am laughing my *** off looking at the in car videos now."
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
So at this point (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Porsche may or may not know the root cause.
2. Porsche has stopped delivery of all GT3s globally.
3. Porsche has determined that the threat to life and potential for a class action suit against the manufacturer for replacement cars, injuries, or loss of life is high enough to request all 785 owners across the globe to immediately stop using their cars.
4. Porsche has directed the dealerships to arrange for flatbed towing of all GT3s back to the dealerships.
5. Porsche is arranging for loaner transportation for all 785 owners.
6. Porsche is still examining the 2 cars confirmed to have experienced a fire that started in or near the engine bay.

What we do not know ...

7. Has Porsche stopped GT3 production or are GT3 stacking up like cord wood in Stuttgart?
8. How long will it take to identify the root cause?
9. How long will it take to produce the retrofit kits and accompanying service documentation?
10. Can Porsche dealerships affect the retrofit without factory rep support?
11. How long will it take to distribute the kits, docs and personnel to affect the repairs?
12. How long will the repair take?
13. Depending on the total time for 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 will Porsche provide an extended warranty on GT3s that have already been delivered?
14. If the total time for 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 extends to the point that US customers are meeting thresholds for the lemon law is Porsche going to offer to "buy back" their cars?

I'm keeping my deposit down, but the PAG press release is far from reassuring that things will be quickly resolved.

Ryan

Excellent summary of the situation.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:23 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77

"That drive in the Speciale decimated and obliterated what I thought was fast and capable in a road car, so much so cerebral readjustment was required afterwards. I am laughing my *** off looking at the in car videos now."
Ok, I was an amazed passenger too. But let's be fair Tom. You could have driven exactly the way you did that day with just a "normal" 458. Also with the Italia you might have managed a top speed of 334 km/hr instead of the 331 you got with the speciale that day.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Still waiting for the Chris Harris 458 Speciale review…...
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
HB Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, my GT3 is on the boat now on the way to San Diego. If they can't start or drive them are they going to send a flatbed truck on the RORO to off load our 3 GT3 on the Glovis Condor? I guess it's not really a RORO (Roll on Roll off). I guess it's a ROTO (Roll on Truck off). Or maybe they can push it off

Last edited by HB Driver; 02-20-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Are people still seriously considering taking these cars? 140k and your going to "roll the dice" on an issue with Porsche that has never happened before, let alone a GT car.
This is exactly the comment I was referring to.

Yeah you're not overreacting.

My point was/still is, if you actually had a 991gt3 in your possession, you wouldn't care about this recall crap because they will fix it.

And because the car is awesome, this is nothing but an inconvenience...
Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone who decides to not get a 991 GT3 because of this incident is seriously missing out. This stuff happens. The fact that Porsche is taking drastic measures this quickly is a testament to Porsche and how much they care.

Toyota still hasn't owned up to some issues that have happened over the last decade in some of their most popular cars.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

And, remember, fires happened to the 458 when it was first introduced.

And the Tesla Model S. :P
Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
And, remember, fires happened to the 458 when it was first introduced.

And the Tesla Model S. :P
Somehow, I don't think that's reassuring and nor is it an achievement to match the failures of others... Fires should happen on barbeques and in fireplaces, not cars...
Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Somehow, I don't think that's reassuring and nor is it an achievement to match the failures of others... Fires should happen on barbeques and in fireplaces, not cars...
Could not agree more. But, the fact is, cars harness energy from something that runs on oxidizing certain fuels; that stuff burns. Also, they rely on electricity in some form... that stuff can short, etc.

It's impossible for this to never happen. We just always hope it doesn't happen with our cars, or the models we want to buy. But it happens. The reassuring thing for me is the fact that PAG is taking sweeping, drastic measures to ensure safety while investigating a suitable resolution.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HB Driver
So, my GT3 is on the boat now on the way to San Diego. If they can't start or drive them are they going to send a flatbed truck on the RORO to off load our 3 GT3 on the Glovis Condor? I guess it's not really a RORO (Roll on Roll off). I guess it's a ROTO (Roll on Truck off). Or maybe they can push it off
LOL, Maybe we don't need this mod. Glovis Condor is sure slow but its getting close
Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still hearing from my source that the problem is a sub standard batch of bolts (oil pan and header) and there's nothing internally wrong with the engine and the recall is precautionary.

As of today there have been no change in my build date (April)... Can't wait to get my car...

Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aamersa
Ok, I was an amazed passenger too. But let's be fair Tom. You could have driven exactly the way you did that day with just a "normal" 458. Also with the Italia you might have managed a top speed of 334 km/hr instead of the 331 you got with the speciale that day.
Aamersa, I don't know if I could. Best way to try is to next time use your car and drive it the exact same way. If you allow me, that is! And see what the differences are. In handling. Braking. Cornering speeds. I would be very surprised if there aren't any...

Top speed: seriously, who cares? That's just as irrelevant as acceleration times (from a BMW M3 as compared to other cars here)... even forgetting that my car had only 1,200 km on the clock.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Speciale is at another level, if you ask me. Which it should be, considering the price is more than double. Sure, the new GT3 is an amazing and very capable car, but the Speciale is in another galaxy when you're on it. The cornering speed and braking are insane. Yet it is relatively decent when you want or have to drive it normally.
The Speciale is at "another level" and "another galaxy" of... drama. The 458 is slower than the GT3 and the Speciale is maybe a second or two faster than that.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Aamersa, I don't know if I could. Best way to try is to next time use your car and drive it the exact same way. If you allow me, that is! And see what the differences are. In handling. Braking. Cornering speeds. I would be very surprised if there aren't any...

Top speed: seriously, who cares? That's just as irrelevant as acceleration times (from a BMW M3 as compared to other cars here)... even forgetting that my car had only 1,200 km on the clock.
Looks like Rennlist should set up a Ferrari forum for 458 folks.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?