Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

It is unclear to me as to whether Porsche dealers can continue to sell GT3's. I am getting mixed reports. Does anyone know? If it is true that dealers have been told to suspend selling the GT3 then the issue is much more serious than replacing bracket bolts.

Be that as it may, I just read that a dealer in Europe is saying an announcement from Porsche is coming out either Wednesday or Thursday this week. Hopefully we will know then what the problem is, how it will be fixed and which cars have been affected.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Nick -- I read that post on RT too. I understand the frustration, but I think that all of our independent attempts to investigate won't yield any real hard results. We'll have the answers sooner than later, I imagine.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:27 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
It is unclear to me as to whether Porsche dealers can continue to sell GT3's. I am getting mixed reports. Does anyone know? If it is true that dealers have been told to suspend selling the GT3 then the issue is much more serious than replacing bracket bolts.

Be that as it may, I just read that a dealer in Europe is saying an announcement from Porsche is coming out either Wednesday or Thursday this week. Hopefully we will know then what the problem is, how it will be fixed and which cars have been affected.
As was the case with a poster near the beginning of this thread, the following information was furnished to me by my dealer who told me he copied and pasted it from an email from PCNA:

"Effective immediately and until further notice, delivery of any new 2014 911 GT3 units must be suspended. This Stop Sale action is being taken in order to investigate a quality issue that potentially exists with the engine of the subject vehicles. While additional details are not readily available, please know this matter is of the highest priority in the Porsche organization."

You may want to check with your dealer and ask him yourself about the existence of such an email.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Thanks I am familiar with the email. Notice it says delivery and makes no mention of sales. A Texas dealer has suspended selling the GT3 pursuit to the email. I have seen other reports saying the same. Cannot deliver nor sell GT3's.

My dealer has used up his allocations and waiting for more probably toward the end of the year. It may be dealers can fill their allocation orders but they may not be processed by PCNA until which time Porsche lifts the suspension.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 PM
0Q991
Drifting

@Nick -- Not sure we can tie the stop delivery to the inability of some dealers to take orders. Too many other variables at play (allocations, etc.). Making the assumption that there is a connection can (1) lead to an incorrect correlation and (2) further angst over current situation.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0Q991
@Nick -- Not sure we can tie the stop delivery to the inability of some dealers to take orders. Too many other variables at play (allocations, etc.). Making the assumption that there is a connection can (1) lead to an incorrect correlation and (2) further angst over current situation.
Amen!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Has production of the GT3 been halted?
Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Has production of the GT3 been halted?
I would not be surprised if it had, probably easier to retrofix any engine problems at the component level than on assembled cars/engines.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:08 PM
0Q991
Drifting

The following comes from Wardsauto.com--note that 2 fires have been confirmed (not the 5 that have been rumored), 322 cars have been delivered "this year," meaning that the number could actually be higher than that if you count anything in 12/2013, and we should (hopefully) have some sort of official announcement this week:

Porsche Suspends 911 GT3 Deliveries While Fires Probed
Newswire

BERLIN, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Porsche has stopped deliveries of the most expensive version of its overhauled 911 sports car after two of them caught fire, the German automaker said.

Engineers at Porsche's Stuttgart-based headquarters are examining the remains of the gutted vehicles used in Switzerland and Italy to determine the cause of the fires, a spokesman said on Tuesday, confirming a report on German newswire dpa.

The Volkswagen-owned carmaker expects to conclude the investigation this week, the spokesman said, adding that Porsche had this year delivered 322 of the GT3 models, which start at 137,000 euros ($187,700).

Porsche expects to hit a target of selling more than 200,000 sports cars and SUVs in 2015, three years earlier than first scheduled, Chief Executive Officer Matthias Mueller said last week. ($1 = 0.7298 euros) (Reporting by Andreas Cremer; editing by Tom Pfeiffer)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post 0q991.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:30 PM
0Q991
Drifting

@Dude -- No problem. We'll have our answers soon--more importantly, we'll have our cars at some point after that! Might be extra days or weeks, but it will happen. Things have not been smooth with the rollout, but in this Internet / message board / blog driven day and age, it's made it potentially a lot more scary / frustrating than it had to be.

The 458 caught fire when introduced due to an issue with the adhesive they used. Problems get solved, people get their cars, and, with cars of this level of performance and enjoyment ilk, people move on and forget about the initial hiccups.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Dude-
Pro

It's still snowing here so the delay is great timing for me. I had questioned the 5 cars earlier and thought it was weird that there were no history on the other four cars. We all should have been more investigative.

Anyhow, the reviews are still coming in from current owners and I so excited for me and the folks who is expecting one. With this issue and slowing down the production line for GT3's, maybe... just maybe it will be a short production year which will this car even more special.

Hope porsche is listening......how about cutting the production early as a thank you note to early adopters.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dude-
It's still snowing here so the delay is great timing for me. I had questioned the 5 cars earlier and thought it was weird that there were no history on the other four cars. We all should have been more investigative.

Anyhow, the reviews are still coming in from current owners and I so excited for me and the folks who is expecting one. With this issue and slowing down the production line for GT3's, maybe... just maybe it will be a short production year which will this car even more special.

Hope porsche is listening......how about cutting the production early as a thank you note to early adopters.
that's pretty mean thinking
Old 02-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Dude-
Pro

LOL....OK I was selfish. Im sorry. All rennlist member who wants one gets one. Nobody else. LOL.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dude-
LOL....OK I was selfish. Im sorry. All rennlist member who wants one gets one. Nobody else. LOL.
That's more like IT!

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?