Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Mike, does your letter use the phrase "abundance of caution"?
Old 02-22-2014, 04:27 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ I like that...
Old 02-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike, does your letter use the phrase "abundance of caution"?
Here is the letter. The info in the link referenced in the letter is at the bottom.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX:

We are writing to you concerning reported engine problems with the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 sports car. Porsche AG, our parent company and the manufacturer of your car, has just this morning released an update and we wanted to share it personally with you. Click here to view Porsche AG’s news release.

As you will see from the news release, we are asking, until we are able to identify exactly the potential problem with the GT3, that you please not drive it. This is because Porsche AG received two reports in Europe of engine damage leading to fires in two brand new GT3 vehicles. Porsche is devoting all possible resources to investigating these incidents, so that it can determine as quickly as possible what engine modifications might be needed, if any, and on what group of cars.

We are not certain that your car is affected at all, but your satisfaction and safety are our first priority. We wish to take all possible preventative measures until Porsche’s engineers have identified any problem and we become able to either repair your car or verify that it does not have a problem. Thus, this request that, for now, you not drive your GT3.

If you wish, we will arrange for your car to be shipped to your preferred authorized Porsche dealer, where any repair that might ultimately be necessary can be made. A Porsche representative will endeavor to call you beginning almost at once to discuss this. Ideally we will speak with you later today, or as soon as convenient for you.

Our representative will endeavor to answer, or quickly obtain the answer to, any questions you may have when they call. If you would prefer to make contact with us sooner, you may call Porsche Customer Commitment at 1-800-PORSCHE, option 3.

We are committed to minimizing your inconvenience and we apologize to you. We only trust we can ask you to understand that we could not have you take any chance while we finish our investigation.

Thank you very much, and we will be in contact again very soon.

Very truly yours,

Tim Quinn
Vice President, Aftersales

Porsche inspecting engines of current 911 GT3 models

Stuttgart. The sports car producer Porsche is inspecting all engines of 911 GT3 vehicles of model year 2014. Porsche is informing the owners of the affected vehicles directly and recommending that they stop using their vehicles. The company is offering to pick up the vehicles and take them to a Porsche Centre immediately.

Safety is a number one priority at Porsche, and the company takes its responsibility seriously. After engine damage occurred in two vehicles in Europe and the vehicles then caught fire. Porsche decided to inspect all 785 delivered vehicles worldwide. There was no traffic accident and no personal injure. Internal studies to determine the cause of the engine damage have not been completed yet.

Porsche will report on any new findings immediately.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Started up the car a few minutes ago and backed it out into the driveway. Just like the previous 1K miles, no weird noises, no blown oil lines, rods through the crankcase or conflagration which I choose to take as a positive sign. Can't drive the damn thing, might as well give it a wax job......
Mike - feel the same way - having major withdrawals. I have over 1300 miles on mine and just starting to really get in the groove. Definitely a bummer.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH

Mike - feel the same way - having major withdrawals. I have over 1300 miles on mine and just starting to really get in the groove. Definitely a bummer.
Why stop driving? If yours catches fire it's under warranty and Porsche will replace.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:51 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why stop driving? If yours catches fire it's under warranty and Porsche will replace.
Guess I just don't want to be that guy on the news
Old 02-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Me either. Also, not a lawyer, but it might be harder to make a warranty claim against Porsche once they've informed you of a potential problem and advised you not to use the car. Things could get especially sticky if others are injured by your car blowing oil all over the freeway.

Admittedly chances of all this are low, but I'm willing to see how things play out. I'm not interested in waiting another 6 months for a car....I like this one.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Wear an extra pair of undershorts, pull and your big boy pants and drive over to Starbucks. Keep your head and nose on a swivel. You'll be fine.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:58 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree. That would suck.

Question for the GT3 guys since I'm only a lowly C2S owner with no powerkit.

Is there anything (super small print ) when you are purchasing a GT3 new from the showroom that says anything about this being a race car and leaving it open to interpretation that certain types of owner usage could be grounds for warranty rescission or a Porsche AG loophole to get out something?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

NOPE! Once Porsche warns you not to drive because of fire risk or crankcase failure your on your own if the car burns or crankcase fails. Porsche will not pay for the car. Your insurance company might but they could argue that you drove the car despite the warnings not to compromised their ability to go after Porsche and therefore your policy coverage on the car is voided.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Me either. Also, not a lawyer, but it might be harder to make a warranty claim against Porsche once they've informed you of a potential problem and advised you not to use the car. Things could get especially sticky if others are injured by your car blowing oil all over the freeway.

Admittedly chances of all this are low, but I'm willing to see how things play out. I'm not interested in waiting another 6 months for a car....I like this one.
Completely understand. But if you wanted to take the GT3 out tonight for date night I'm sure you'd be just fine. What's another 100 miles.

I feel very sorry for you guys. Hope this gets resolved and you early owners get compensated quickly.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MarcusG
I agree. That would suck.

Question for the GT3 guys since I'm only a lowly C2S owner with no powerkit.

Is there anything (super small print ) when you are purchasing a GT3 new from the showroom that says anything about this being a race car and leaving it open to interpretation that certain types of owner usage could be grounds for warranty rescission or a Porsche AG loophole to get out something?
No, not that I've seen. In fact, with this GT3 the language that track driving *will* void the warranty has been replaced by language that it *can* void the warranty *if* certain accelerated maintenance schedules that are defined in writing aren't followed.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick

NOPE! Once Porsche warns you not to drive because of fire risk or crankcase failure your on your own if the car burns or crankcase fails. Porsche will not pay for the car. Your insurance company might but they could argue that you drove the car despite the warnings not to compromised their ability to go after Porsche and therefore your policy coverage on the car is voided.
Easy. Don't open the mail. Mark RTS. Wear rubber gloves.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:07 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

No, not that I've seen. In fact, with this GT3 the language that track driving *will* void the warranty has been replaced by language that it *can* void the warranty *if* certain accelerated maintenance schedules that are defined in writing aren't followed.
Thanks Mike!

For the most part the words "can" and "if" can be very useful.

So sorry you guys have to wait to start driving your cars again.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Completely understand. But if you wanted to take the GT3 out tonight for date night I'm sure you'd be just fine. What's another 100 miles.

I feel very sorry for you guys. Hope this gets resolved and you early owners get compensated quickly.
Thanks.

Funny you should mention, my daughter is here today for her birthday. First time she's seen the car. I really wanted to take her for a ride and let her drive it but I'm not going to do it. Couldn't live with myself if something happened. Really stupid, I suppose, but some things you just don't take unnecessary chances with.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?