Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Re pricing of the touring option, many of y'all are forgetting/leaving out the fact that you're deleting what would be a very expensive option on any other car - the GT3 aerokit.

If that aerokit was an option on the other models, it'd easily be an extra $10k, $15k. Historically Porsche offered pretty aggressive factory aerokit options and the pricetag was pretty steep, with the pricetag growing steeper as the aerokit grew more garish.

By ticking the touring box, you're leaving quite a bit of "value" on the table, and receiving no discount for it. Sure, the touring car will receive some unique features instead, but it would take a lot to eat up what value you have left behind to justify the touring pack being a cost option. Even more "value" is lost if they sub other stuff like centerlocks for 5 lugs, etc. Rear seats may very well be cheaper than the standard GT3 seat delete too, all things considered.

In essence, the no-cost touring pack option is a money maker for Porsche because it allows them to deliver a cheaper car to the customer for the same price.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:12 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy
Re pricing of the touring option, many of y'all are forgetting/leaving out the fact that you're deleting what would be a very expensive option on any other car - the GT3 aerokit.

If that aerokit was an option on the other models, it'd easily be an extra $10k, $15k. Historically Porsche offered pretty aggressive factory aerokit options and the pricetag was pretty steep, with the pricetag growing steeper as the aerokit grew more garish.

By ticking the touring box, you're leaving quite a bit of "value" on the table, and receiving no discount for it. Sure, the touring car will receive some unique features instead, but it would take a lot to eat up what value you have left behind to justify the touring pack being a cost option. Even more "value" is lost if they sub other stuff like centerlocks for 5 lugs, etc. Rear seats may very well be cheaper than the standard GT3 seat delete too, all things considered.

In essence, the no-cost touring pack option is a money maker for Porsche because it allows them to deliver a cheaper car to the customer for the same price.
Interesting, fair point.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:21 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy

considering they re not selling the miniturbos base S and GTS

"Touring package" is what a GTS should have been but priced as a GT3
(or what the R was in compare to the RS...)

marketing genius overthere...
Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Interesting, fair point.
I disagree.

I really don't think it's possible to quantify costs in that way. What something actually costs and what Porsche charges the customer is a mysterious dark art.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:20 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
I disagree.

I really don't think it's possible to quantify costs in that way. What something actually costs and what Porsche charges the customer is a mysterious dark art.
so true

on the gt3 everything is different

even choosing the manual option, represents $0 savings, vs the S-PDK

when in other models represents $2,500 less

but I believe rear seats, do represent more, vs a seat delet carpet
Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 291 Likes on 156 Posts

To ^ positing that Porsche is realizing a windfall with the Touring kit.

I believe you're conflating sales price and Porsche's cost. The cost of the GT3 aero kit is no where near the retail price Porsche would charge as an option.

The cost of a rear deck assembly found on a 911R is probably less than a wing, but I'd bet the delta is nominal.

Plus, we don't yet know what will be the option price for the Touring package.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

^^ The price of porsche options is directly proportional to the ability of their marketing team to covert a "want" into a "need". It carries no relevance to the actual cost of it... PTS, red stripes on rims, led lights with black surrounds, coloured seatbelts anyone ?

I will say I cant think of another car that I've purchased where I can easily add 25-30% to the base price by changing a few superficial specs...
Old 08-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dark art probably describes it best. Obviously most of it is what they feel they can charge, vs the actual cost to Porsche. It's all about customer perception and making someone feel like it's worth the cost. They only throw in the freebies like the smoking package and the footwell cargo net to make Porsche appear more fair and reasonable in the cost of their other options.

Good point, indeed the cost of that aerokit, to Porsche, is probably very cheap. But it still appears to be a large item to the customer, so it's hard to charge the customer more for what appears to simply be a delete of a large item (one item that substantially differentiates the GT3 and justifies part of the increased costs in the first place). Then again they charged more for less with the 911R all day long.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:28 PM
JohnKerr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 GT3 Touring Package

Does anyone have solid confirmation from a Porsche Dealer that the 2018 GT3 will have the touring Package available in the United States?

Today it is not available, and my dealer called a contact in Atlanta, who told us the package is only available in Europe.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKerr
Does anyone have solid confirmation from a Porsche Dealer that the 2018 GT3 will have the touring Package available in the United States?

Today it is not available, and my dealer called a contact in Atlanta, who told us the package is only available in Europe.
It has not been officially announced by Porsche, their is some speculation that it will be revealed at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

my dealer says it's not officially announced and he has no confirmation, though he believes it is coming and and will be available to order as an option package on GT3. He says anyone claiming to have confirmation of exactly what it will be, what it will include, pricing etc, is just speculating. My contact at Porsche Exclusive is in same boat and says they expect to have full details upon official reveal, with Frankfurt / Sep being the likely timing of the reveal.

neither has suggested to me that it wouldn't be avail in USA.

So I guess we all just have to hurry up and wait a few more weeks, unless a credible leak occurs before then.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
As reported before, unless 3 people who work for Porsche that I spoke to at a private unveiling of th GT3 I attended in March are wrong....which I doubt.... it is just an option spec on the GT3. Just like the Clubsport is just an option spec on the GT3. Anyway, you will all know on Sept 11.

BTW, Historically, the Sport Classic is just a nicely optioned Carreras S. It is not, and never will be, a GT3 based car. The Touring name has a much greater connection to the RS.
correct, and since the original release of the "clubsport package" in RoW, all cars w/o "clubsport" have been referred to as "touring" ...

I guess all will be revealed (or not) in a couple of weeks.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

which is because the clubsport pkg is only available in RoW, and cars that are not "clubsport" are "touring"...

Old 08-19-2017, 03:37 PM
zroom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I heard this as well

Likewise, a Northern California dealer told me he emailed Porsche about the Touring Package, and the response was that to the extent such an option will become available, it will only be made so in Europe and not the US.

If that is indeed the case, it is particularly interesting that one of the mythical creatures was spotted in California though, according to R&T:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...uring-package/

I guess we'll hopefully see in about a month.

Last edited by zroom; 08-19-2017 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong message
Old 08-19-2017, 04:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,940 Likes on 2,798 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
which is because the clubsport pkg is only available in RoW, and cars that are not "clubsport" are "touring"...

I would think it would have more to do with the availability of the folding bucket seats to access the rear seats (that seat is RoW only), if true...

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option