991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:29 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
a bit of a sore subject for me: multiple construction delays

supposedly there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I am promised end of September "move-in" date.

finger crossed...
Good things for those who wait. It will be worth it in the end.

Take care
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Whether the touring package is a "cost" option seems to be unknown, but your chart puts it at 20% chance.

If the package includes more than just wing delete, chrome exterior accents (instead of black), and perhaps a specific color or color choices (perhaps a subset of the already available colors in standard palette), then I think it will be a "cost" options. Let me explain....

If, as you say with 100% likelihood, the touring package includes Houndstooth/Pepita seats, it will be a great bargain as a no cost option package, because getting those otherwise costs $8700 for the custom tailored seats Porsche Exclusive option. Of course we know houndstooth vs Alcantara seats centers don't really cost much different to make, but I'm just sayin'

If any "special" color is offered in combination with touring package that's not among the standard palette (seems unlikely), that will probably trigger a cost.

If the touring package should include exterior stripes, again, that's available as a Porsche Exclusive CXX option on GT3 and is over $1400 USD.

If the touring package should include special wheels or even just wheel finish other than standard silver, one would think it would trigger a cost. If not, again would seem to be a bargain.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and that the touring package includes houndstooth seats, speciial colors and more for no extra cost.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

^ Additional cost or not depends entirely on predicted demand for the option package. If Porsche predicts nobody is willing to pay extra, there will be no extra cost. If they predict the number of potential customers they are looking to sell to will pay $15k, they will offer it at that price.

Cost of options on other models isn't relevant; witness PTS cost for white paint and black paint on certain 911 models in recent history...
Old 08-13-2017, 12:30 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ Additional cost or not depends entirely on predicted demand for the option package. If Porsche predicts nobody is willing to pay extra, there will be no extra cost. If they predict the number of potential customers they are looking to sell to will pay $15k, they will offer it at that price.

Cost of options on other models isn't relevant; witness PTS cost for white paint and black paint on certain 911 models in recent history...
You are right.

Porsche, for the record, if you charge anything for the Touring Package, I'm not biting. Got that? Ignore everything we said in the last 873 posts above.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:48 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The content will likely be minimal. I would expect a 911R type rear deck, slightly modified front lip (which has been shown) and possible aluminum exterior accents with leather and houndstooth seat inserts rather than alcantara. Likely MT only but the PDK seems to still be in play. I doubt the rear seats will be offered, at least in the US, since the GT3, 911R, and GT3RS come to the US w/o rear seats and are certified as such. Conversely the ROW rear seat delete for the GTS is not available in the US for the same certification reasons.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:17 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Porsche, for the record, if you charge anything for the Touring Package, I'm not biting. Got that? Ignore everything we said in the last 873 posts above.
+1
Old 08-13-2017, 05:18 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Whether the touring package is a "cost" option seems to be unknown, but your chart puts it at 20% chance.

If the package includes more than just wing delete, chrome exterior accents (instead of black), and perhaps a specific color or color choices (perhaps a subset of the already available colors in standard palette), then I think it will be a "cost" options. Let me explain....

If, as you say with 100% likelihood, the touring package includes Houndstooth/Pepita seats, it will be a great bargain as a no cost option package, because getting those otherwise costs $8700 for the custom tailored seats Porsche Exclusive option. Of course we know houndstooth vs Alcantara seats centers don't really cost much different to make, but I'm just sayin'

If any "special" color is offered in combination with touring package that's not among the standard palette (seems unlikely), that will probably trigger a cost.

If the touring package should include exterior stripes, again, that's available as a Porsche Exclusive CXX option on GT3 and is over $1400 USD.

If the touring package should include special wheels or even just wheel finish other than standard silver, one would think it would trigger a cost. If not, again would seem to be a bargain.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and that the touring package includes houndstooth seats, speciial colors and more for no extra cost.
I get what you are saying, but here is the thinking behind the 20%.

20% is based off Australian dealers being told it will be a non cost option in Australia (at least). Information from dealers has been wrong before, hence leaving it at 20% as there is a chance this information is wrong.

Whilst I have 100% on textured centre of the seats (not Alcantara), I'm not really convinced yet that 'textured centre of the seats' equates to houndstooth or pepita. Georg Kacher called it 'corduroy' inserts in his article. This could be anything.

And whilst I think this car will be analogous to a 911R (4.0l GT motor in a GT chassis), I dont think it will be a direct knockoff - that doesnt make sense. Given the houndstooth seats were a 'thing' with the 911R my gut feel tells me the touring wouldn't have the same. The same logic applies to the exterior stripes - I see it highly unlikely they are a standard offering on the touring. Yes the 911R is the lightweight car and the Touring wont be (a key differentiator I think Porsche will remind us of when asked about it at the launch), but I also feel that strong visual brand points of the R are unlikely to be offered on the touring.

In terms of the other 'benefits' that the touring might have over the standard GT3, they not really benefits per se, they are just differences. Say the wheel offering is the aluminium rather than standard silver. The aluminium will be standard but if you want to change to the silver, you will have to pay for it.

The more I think about colours, the more I think the colour palette for this car will be restricted. They will pick a few combos from the GT3 colour range that work with the chrome accents (lets say 4 or so) and you choose one of them and thats it. I'd love them to do a Midnight Blue Metallic, but I would guess Black, Red, Yellow, and White. Again - time will tell.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Based on dealer comments here and mates dealer feedback in Europe, like some others my money is on a "package approach", a few items packaged together,( wing delete, chrome trim, sports seats with different insert, etc) all for a substantial premium on the standard no option approach. I imagine we will all try and vary it, pull it apart and change it, for which the answer will be a polite no. I would be surprised if it will roll out as a unique model but really my cleaning lady only cleans suburban houses a long way from P headquarters.. So no idea.

Country to this, though I am intrigued to hear any rumours around "soften" it... engine detune, softer suspension, play around with the steering, narrower tyres ? This then is not really a package and starts to become a unique model does it not, so again think low probability on anything engineering / systems wise (other then wing deleted)

Interestingly, dealer has accepted an additional/separate deposit for a "sport classic" for which there were already a few deposits in front of me. Maybe he just likes collecting deposits ...
Old 08-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

I'm thinking what will happen is that the Touring Package will actually include only a small number of items, namely the wing delete, chrome trim instead of black, and some unique cloth/leather seat inserts. But it will REQUIRE the selection of a small set of other cost OPTIONS to accomplish the rest. That is, it will be incompatible with certain standard and option selections. And, just like, say BMW's habit of making their M Sport Package compatible with a smaller subset of exterior colors and offering sometimes one exterior color and one interior trim option available only in combination with the M Sport Package, Porsche will do same here.

For example, wouldn't surprise me if choosing Touring Package does the following to other options:
- subset of exterior colors only (JBM, agate grey, CWM, carmine, Chalk...), with outside chance of one new special color (a dark blue or dark green), all of which would contrast well with chrome exterior trim and which are "classy", all of which will have a cost over a non-Metallic standard color
- leather interior required (cost), with only one color deviated stitching avail.
- probably: MT only (no cost)
- maybe: Bose required (cost), would make sense
- maybe: Satin Aluminum or Platinum wheels required (cost)
- probably: 18-way seats or LWB seats only, no 4-ways (cost)
- maybe: unique dials color in dash (no cost, but not compatible with other choices)
- maybe: unique interior trim color/finish required, not paint, maybe brushed stainless steel? (probably cost), incompatible with other choices
- maybe: unique door sills required, maybe only stainless steel or illuminated stainless steel (cost)
Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Interestingly, dealer has accepted an additional/separate deposit for a "sport classic" for which there were already a few deposits in front of me. Maybe he just likes collecting deposits ...
Interestingly, my dealer did the opposite - said that my GT3 deposit would cover the Touring option/model/edition.

Lapis - interesting theory - certainly makes sense. And I would bite.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Interestingly, my dealer did the opposite - said that my GT3 deposit would cover the Touring option/model/edition.

Lapis - interesting theory - certainly makes sense. And I would bite.
There'll probably be a Sports Classic to sign off the 991, but if it's like the last one, only 250 cars I think, the deposit probably won't amount to much with 918VIP's in front of it.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

I'm thinking what will happen is that the Touring Package will actually include only a small number of items, namely the wing delete, chrome trim instead of black, and some unique cloth/leather seat inserts. But it will REQUIRE the selection of a small set of other cost OPTIONS to accomplish the rest. That is, it will be incompatible with certain standard and option selections. And, just like, say BMW's habit of making their M Sport Package compatible with a smaller subset of exterior colors and offering sometimes one exterior color and one interior trim option available only in combination with the M Sport Package, Porsche will do same here.
Seems plausible to me.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure too much can be read into a dealer taking a deposit for a certain model. I spoke to one recently who had several deposits for a gt4 RS, but openly admitted he didn't know if such a car was actually coming.

Let's count the sources for the gt3 touring:
- Georg Kacher (widely respected auto journalist)
- TomTomTom (who has a cleaning lady in Porsche development department)
- Porsche Belgium (who informed chrisnnnn at gt3 launch)
- Porsche Australia (who told all Australian dealers at a recent conference)
- I am sure there are others I have forgotten

I'm not saying a sport classic isn't coming (I have no idea), but this thing is the gt3 touring and we will see it in September.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Agree with the Gt3 touring in September. I was meaning the GT3 deposit is for the touring and in addition has accepted another separate one for a separate car. Doesn't mean much other then I was and am guessing there may be a classic of some description sometime..but out of interest wasn't the only one making the same punt.

Originally Posted by Bardman
I'm not sure too much can be read into a dealer taking a deposit for a certain model. I spoke to one recently who had several deposits for a gt4 RS, but openly admitted he didn't know if such a car was actually coming.

Let's count the sources for the gt3 touring:
- Georg Kacher (widely respected auto journalist)
- TomTomTom (who has a cleaning lady in Porsche development department)
- Porsche Belgium (who informed chrisnnnn at gt3 launch)
- Porsche Australia (who told all Australian dealers at a recent conference)
- I am sure there are others I have forgotten

I'm not saying a sport classic isn't coming (I have no idea), but this thing is the gt3 touring and we will see it in September.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

I like your thinking. An additional colour would make sense, a "touring only" so to speak. One of the older early model colours would work well with the chrome trim / wheels.

Like my earlier engine / suspension comment, too many unique touches potentially puts in the rarefied atmosphere again and we have the 911R drama repeat.. I hope its different but not too unique for us mere mortals.

For example, wouldn't surprise me if choosing Touring Package does the following to other options:
- subset of exterior colors only (JBM, agate grey, CWM, carmine, Chalk...), with outside chance of one new special color (a dark blue or dark green), all of which would contrast well with chrome exterior trim and which are "classy", all of which will have a cost over a non-Metallic standard color
- leather interior required (cost), with only one color deviated stitching avail.
- probably: MT only (no cost)
- maybe: Bose required (cost), would make sense
- maybe: Satin Aluminum or Platinum wheels required (cost)
- probably: 18-way seats or LWB seats only, no 4-ways (cost)
- maybe: unique dials color in dash (no cost, but not compatible with other choices)
- maybe: unique interior trim color/finish required, not paint, maybe brushed stainless steel? (probably cost), incompatible with other choices
- maybe: unique door sills required, maybe only stainless steel or illuminated stainless steel (cost)

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option