Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi PantsFire, a genuine question as there is a bit of active debate around the impact and why the GT market is so hot atm. Given your personal preference for rear seats, PDK for daily driving rather then track times, why your preference for a GT3 rather then perhaps a Turbo, a GTS, a 4S optioned up etc.. The GTS is near on a quick as the last generation GT3 if not quicker, has no rear wing and for the price, you could probably option it up (PTS, interior etc) so much better..

Market / Perception of the GT3 ?
Naturally aspirated engine ?
Perception that GT cars go up in value ?
Other ?

Not questioning your personal choice at all, but as I said genuine interest as this hype around the GT cars is as high as I have ever seen it and intrigued as to why.

Originally Posted by PantsFire
Sounds awesome! I hope they consider a PDK, especially if they allow back seats, because back seats in a 911 are pretty much always for kids (like my own) and PDK allows for more relaxed driving when you're trying to calm two lunatics in the back
Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

911 club sport
Old 08-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

^+1
Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 AM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Hi PantsFire, a genuine question as there is a bit of active debate around the impact and why the GT market is so hot atm. Given your personal preference for rear seats, PDK for daily driving rather then track times, why your preference for a GT3 rather then perhaps a Turbo, a GTS, a 4S optioned up etc.. The GTS is near on a quick as the last generation GT3 if not quicker, has no rear wing and for the price, you could probably option it up (PTS, interior etc) so much better..

Market / Perception of the GT3 ?
Naturally aspirated engine ?
Perception that GT cars go up in value ?
Other ?

Not questioning your personal choice at all, but as I said genuine interest as this hype around the GT cars is as high as I have ever seen it and intrigued as to why.
I currently drive a 991.1 C2S with two child seats in the back which I daily, bringing my children to school and nursery, going to meetings etc.

While I would love the GT3 it would sit in the garage unused, not because I care about resale values but because I couldn't daily it with my family like I do right now, it'd be a shocking waste of a car that deserved to be driven.

Now I've tried the 991.2 C4S and GTS and they are great cars, but the engine is not as fun, it doesn't sound fun, it doesn't feel fun, at least not up here in the hills where the fun is had between 20 and 70 as you accelerate out of the corners before breaking into the next.

I've more or less decided to upgrade to a used 991.2 Turbo or (more likely) Turbo S when I change cars next year, I'd probably get a Sharkworks exhaust to bring out more of the 3.8 and I know I'll be very happy with it.

But if I had a choice between the 4.0 Naturally Aspirated or the 3.8 Turbo I know what I'd pick without a second thought.

When the idea of a 'GT3 Touring' cropped up I and many others on here got excited, we could possibly get what we want from Porsche, but every post I've read has never been about the GT3 badge, it's been about the drive, the sound and the fun.

We don't want a GT3, we don't want to devalue, confuse, muddy or damage the GT3 branding for past, present or future owners either. But in Porsche's current line-up the GT3 is the closest vehicle to the car we want, one that I think would be very popular with Porsche owners around my age, with young families, dogs etc...

Porsche can call it anything they want and I'd still buy it, new, and keep it, probably forever, assuming they let me have one
Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 291 Likes on 156 Posts

Never heard anyone criticize the 911R for the lack of a GT3 badge on it. And if it's the wing that makes it a GT3, then that doesn't say much for the rest of the car.

Call it GT3T, Club Sport, or 911Z, whatever -- who cares about the nomenclature?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
I currently drive a 991.1 C2S with two child seats in the back which I daily, bringing my children to school and nursery, going to meetings etc.

While I would love the GT3 it would sit in the garage unused, not because I care about resale values but because I couldn't daily it with my family like I do right now, it'd be a shocking waste of a car that deserved to be driven.

Now I've tried the 991.2 C4S and GTS and they are great cars, but the engine is not as fun, it doesn't sound fun, it doesn't feel fun, at least not up here in the hills where the fun is had between 20 and 70 as you accelerate out of the corners before breaking into the next.

I've more or less decided to upgrade to a used 991.2 Turbo or (more likely) Turbo S when I change cars next year, I'd probably get a Sharkworks exhaust to bring out more of the 3.8 and I know I'll be very happy with it.

But if I had a choice between the 4.0 Naturally Aspirated or the 3.8 Turbo I know what I'd pick without a second thought.

When the idea of a 'GT3 Touring' cropped up I and many others on here got excited, we could possibly get what we want from Porsche, but every post I've read has never been about the GT3 badge, it's been about the drive, the sound and the fun.

We don't want a GT3, we don't want to devalue, confuse, muddy or damage the GT3 branding for past, present or future owners either. But in Porsche's current line-up the GT3 is the closest vehicle to the car we want, one that I think would be very popular with Porsche owners around my age, with young families, dogs etc...

Porsche can call it anything they want and I'd still buy it, new, and keep it, probably forever, assuming they let me have one
Word, sums it up nicely. And yes I've a number of kids to put back there that would make a GT3 that much more usable.

Originally Posted by WernerE
Never heard anyone criticize the 911R for the lack of a GT3 badge on it. And if it's the wing that makes it a GT3, then that doesn't say much for the rest of the car.

Call it GT3T, Club Sport, or 911Z, whatever -- who cares about the nomenclature?
Agreed just call it a GT3, 'touring' would be an option package, like LWBs or deviated stitching.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:32 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT3 will not be visible and you will just have the PORSCHE logo and job is done.
no need to think about how to call it.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,940 Likes on 2,798 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Added some updates, looking at some of the other items people have raised.
  • Detuned engine
  • Additional Colours
  • Cost Option?
If the engine is detuned, it will have nothing to do with the ram air scoops. Their contribution on the GT3 and RS is not included in the power rating (which is measured on a test bench without assistance from high vehicle speed). For illustration, both the 991RS and 911R have identical engine ratings, while the RS has ram-air and the R does not...
Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Word, sums it up nicely. And yes I've a number of kids to put back there that would make a GT3 that much more usable.

Agreed just call it a GT3, 'touring' would be an option package, like LWBs or deviated stitching.
So after a talk with my dealer I've submitted a request for a GT3, you have to do it in writing, according to his guy the Touring package would be treated like the Clubsport package, they don't have confirmation of it yet but they're fairly confident it will be a thing.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I have an order for a GT3 and neither my dealership owner/principle, nor the rep with Porsche Exclusive in the USA with whom I've been in continual contact with about my order for months, admits to any information yet about any of this, though neither denies that it may happen.

Here's hoping it does happen and that my order can be changed, as this type of car is exactly what I would like. The seats alone would be great, because 911R-style LWBs with houndstooth cloth inserts are what I'd like but to get on GT3 requires $8700 USD custom tailoring option.

The chrome trim and exhaust tips are fine either way.

The wing delete I would like for practical reasons (better rear visibility, easier to wash...) but mainly to drive around without shouting. I might go to track once per year, and on the kind of road course I'd use and at my skill level, the aero Porsche would equip the car with will be enough for me.

Some other special color deviated stitching and badging would be a nice touch.

Back seats would be great, but of course that can't be done with the LWB seats that I would want. Folding LWBs?

A special classy color or two (oak green Metallic, Brewster green, meerblau, slate grey, etna blue, Meissen ), would be a very nice touch indeed. Special stripes or wheels/wheel finish would be great too.

Name-wise, guess it's not a deal breaker either way, but Sport Classic has a nice ring to it. Either way, I will probably opt for model designation delete on exterior (unless they decide to call it 911 R.... )
Old 08-10-2017, 04:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

They should call it GT3 T. Why not completely mock years of history in the interest of profit? Yeah,I know...the Touring pkg was available many years ago...but back then Porsche was making 2-3 versions of the 911,now they're making 100.

I remain of the opinion I've had in the beginning of this thread : realistically,this car will have enough changed components from the GT3,that will differentiate the 2 cars,NOMENCLATURE INCLUDED.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

GT3-T is a bit redundant, since the Touring bit is already in between the G and the 3 bits.

It's just a GT3 with the touring package, aka wing delete and whatnot. That's it. That's what it's supposed to be. That's what all of the reports have said it would be. Historically you could select a different aerokit on the same model as an option, same thing with transmissions and interior options. Why is this different?

A different name would be a different model, at least the way Porsche does it. This has been described as an option (cost or no cost) from day 1. Is a 911 S a 911 with the S package? I don't think so...
Old 08-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
They should call it GT3 T. Why not completely mock years of history in the interest of profit? Yeah,I know...the Touring pkg was available many years ago...but back then Porsche was making 2-3 versions of the 911,now they're making 100.

I remain of the opinion I've had in the beginning of this thread : realistically,this car will have enough changed components from the GT3,that will differentiate the 2 cars,NOMENCLATURE INCLUDED.
Originally Posted by Craigy
GT3-T is a bit redundant, since the Touring bit is already in between the G and the 3 bits.

It's just a GT3 with the touring package, aka wing delete and whatnot. That's it. That's what it's supposed to be. That's what all of the reports have said it would be. Historically you could select a different aerokit on the same model as an option, same thing with transmissions and interior options. Why is this different?

A different name would be a different model, at least the way Porsche does it. This has been described as an option (cost or no cost) from day 1. Is a 911 S a 911 with the S package? I don't think so...
lets start the rumor (or the petition demanding that) the car will be badged "911 T"

Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Well whatever they call it, I'm looking forward to it.

My sources tell me today that although they have nothing official, and of course everything subject to change at PAG's whim before announcement, it will simply be an option package that can be selected on a GT3, and NOT a different model or model name (that is, not "Sport Classic" or another nameplate).

further my dealer tells me that no dealer anywhere in world can confirm an order for it now, because it's neither announced or in the ordering system in any way, shape or form. So any dealer who tells a customer so is just speculating based on rumor or possibly inside info of what PAG's plans are. But nothing is for certain until PAG announces it and puts it in system for dealers to order.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy

Because Porsche would be completely watering down the GT3 brand and what it stood for since the 996 GT3.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option