Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'd have a problem with that. I can ditch the PDK and wing and still bolt on Hoosiers to take TTOD. Not if they soften the suspension though- I get what they're thinking but I'll need all the spring rate of the full fat version and then some.
For track use? A number of reviewers mentioned that the 911R suspension was sublime for road use, one compared directly to the .2 GT3 and said it was much better for the road. The video sure seemed to indicate it too, as the GT3 looked more frenetic on the same road.

I'd much prefer the 911R suspension in a road car. Heck, if they could take the latest iteration of the X73 that's in the 981 Spyder and make it work that well on the 911, I'd take that over any suspension Porsche has ever put in a road car.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
For track use?
Hoosiers + TTOD (Top Time of the Day) = competition use; autocross.

I like the Spyder suspension as well, but the point is that it it's designed to work with lower grip tires.

For a pure road car I'd probably go with even further in the direction of the Spyder- even more forgiving tires with less outright grip and very round shoulders for adjust-ability, small package that's easy to place on the road, etc. For most of the roads around here I consider the 911R too much, and thus I wouldn't get one (or a GT3 knockoff) purely for road use. Competition would still be a large part of the mission for me.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the best of both worlds would be a GT3 PDK-S and a Touring with 6 sp manual for daily driving. May as well have your cake and eat it too
Old 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Well the best of both worlds would be a GT3 PDK-S and a Touring with 6 sp manual for daily driving. May as well have your cake and eat it too
If dreaming perhaps it's a 911R and GT3RS LE.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Or a 997 RS 4.0? Covers more breadth than anything I've driven, great on the street and still easily TTOD capable in the right hands.

With two cars I'd be tempted to go something like a BAC Mono plus a 981 Spyder for road use. Or early long hood hotrod if I was prepared to sacrifice some safety.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADW
If dreaming perhaps it's a 911R and GT3RS LE.
Cool

Assuming you mean the 4.2.

I'd be happy with that & Sport Classic (na)
Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I wonder if the Touring Pack would get the option for roof rack mounts?

The GT3 has plastic blanks in place of the tiny metal flip-up tabs of the Carrera -- all else is the same, including the lift-up rubber strips. I think we're talking grams of weight difference between the tabs and the plastic blanks.

I just want to be able to run my bikes on top w/o relying on suction cups....

That said -- I'd rather take a proper winged GT3 with the rack mount tabs. If all else fails, seriously considering drilling roof channels under rubber strips for some proper attachment points.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:19 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ideal car would be a manual GT3 as is, but with back seats and folding LWBs. Since the latter isn't available to the US, I have to keep dreaming. But if the back seat rumors are true, I will consider a touring with aftermarket folding buckets. Hmm...
Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Petevb
Hoosiers + TTOD (Top Time of the Day) = competition use; autocross.

I like the Spyder suspension as well, but the point is that it it's designed to work with lower grip tires.

For a pure road car I'd probably go with even further in the direction of the Spyder- even more forgiving tires with less outright grip and very round shoulders for adjust-ability, small package that's easy to place on the road, etc. For most of the roads around here I consider the 911R too much, and thus I wouldn't get one (or a GT3 knockoff) purely for road use. Competition would still be a large part of the mission for me.
But what alternative is there if you want a new/late model 911, with a 6 speed manual and big power? There is no other choice. The only two cars that are going to get me to pull any money out of my pocket in the near future are a super low mile 981 Spyder (at a reasonable price) or a manual GT3, preferably in touring trim. There is simply no other option for a NA, 6 speed, reasonably big power street car out there.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:56 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You call it following their heritage; I call it dubious marketing.

Is there room for another fancy GTS to be launched on top of a 'softer' version of the already more user-friendly GT3? And if a 991.2 SC has the 4.0 (as some here are predicting), how is it differentiated? A paint/stripe/fabric trim package marketed as another model?

when Porsche was " taken in " under the VW umbrella a few yrs ago , some here , incl me , predicted that the 911 was gonna start coming out with an ever greater number
of " badge engineered " niched variants copying what they ( VWAG marketing dept overlords ) had been doing with their Lambo Gallardos for years

it has played out as expected ...and VWAG will leave no stone unturned going forward as they need every low hanging fruit $$$ to pay current and coming emission cheat $$$ billions !
Old 08-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by James Walker
I have never seen an insurance policy that required a car have DOT approval as a matter of fact I have several show and display cars that do not have DOT approval but are fully insured
Of course you can insure show and display cars--you can insure anything really. I do not believe a US insurance company would pay out medical/liability in a car that has had seats installed (in a location that the factory car did not have seats). You can argue that they are "real seats" but the VIN they insure tells them the number of seats it should have.

Most US insurance companies will do anything they can to avoid a payout.

Example case: you add back seats to a 991 GT3. Child is in the back seat. Accident happens. Child is injured, requires trip to the hospital. The more money is involved, the more attention will be put into the claim.

Last edited by Tangerine; 08-04-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarify that the seat positon would be "new"
Old 08-04-2017, 02:43 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I don't care what badge Porsche slaps on the back, "wingless GT3" is an oxymoron, as is "four-seat GT3".
That is my point.

I do understand that many people want the following for a variety of reasons:

1. back seats
2. manual
3. NA engine
4. Sports suspension, but not to sporty????
5. More subtle (no tail)

I wouldn't mind any or all of those combinations personally. But, I find it muddies (and possibly dilutes) the lineup to have every single combination possible.

It appears that had the 911R been available to anyone who wanted one, that would have satisfied this group enough to not want another combination.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
TI wouldn't mind any or all of those combinations personally. But, I find it muddies (and possibly dilutes) the lineup to have every single combination possible.
That's why of all the options it seems like calling it the Sport Classic would make the most sense at this precise moment in time. It's not a GT3, and can be more differentiated while keeping all the things most of us want from it.

It seems the only reason not to call it a Sport Classic is that traditionally that has been a super limited run. I wish they'd just charge a premium and make them unlimited. Offer them in a classic color palette with the chrome window trim or whatever.

I really wish they would go this route. It's not like they are cannibalizing normal 911 sales. I expect anyone interested in a Sport Classic has zero interest in the turbo lineup.

At this point I kind of wish someone else would setup up to take our money. What kind of car could Ford make if they took the GT350 and added $50K ONLY in fit/finish/materials? Every time I hear one of those on the street I get goosebumps.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Call it a 911R, call it a GTS, call it whatever they want. Just offer a high performance, lightish weight, NA, 6 speed manual sports car that doesn't look like it's ready to grid up on the track. The fact is, a big segment of the Porsche sports car customer base wants a true GTS. Not an option package 911S and not a turbo charged 7 speed. They want a true high performance sports car that looks reasonably like a street car. IMO, this should be the FIRST car that Porsche offers in its sports car line up. Every single other model should be considered AFTER this.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:17 PM
zroom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Amen!!

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Call it a 911R, call it a GTS, call it whatever they want. Just offer a high performance, lightish weight, NA, 6 speed manual sports car that doesn't look like it's ready to grid up on the track. The fact is, a big segment of the Porsche sports car customer base wants a true GTS. Not an option package 911S and not a turbo charged 7 speed. They want a true high performance sports car that looks reasonably like a street car. IMO, this should be the FIRST car that Porsche offers in its sports car line up. Every single other model should be considered AFTER this.
Totally on point. The R or what this alleged GT3 Touring should be the baseline, available to all (or most) model from Porsche: wingless for mostly street driving, NA, 6 speed, sport tuning. I hope someone there is listening and will not let this be another R-like situation where the car everyone wants and is willing to pay MSRP for is deemed too special for mere mortals to even be able to order. This should be the bread and butter, and is arguably the DNA, of the 911 IMHO.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option