Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Call it a 911R, call it a GTS, call it whatever they want. Just offer a high performance, lightish weight, NA, 6 speed manual sports car that doesn't look like it's ready to grid up on the track. The fact is, a big segment of the Porsche sports car customer base wants a true GTS. Not an option package 911S and not a turbo charged 7 speed. They want a true high performance sports car that looks reasonably like a street car. IMO, this should be the FIRST car that Porsche offers in its sports car line up. Every single other model should be considered AFTER this.
Well said!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
. Is there room for another fancy GTS to be launched on top of a 'softer' version of the already more user-friendly GT3? And if a 991.2 SC has the 4.0 (as some here are predicting), how is it differentiated? A paint/stripe/fabric trim package marketed as another model?
Yes.

As was said above, I don't want the turbos. And while the GTS is fast, it lacks the feel of the GT3.

I want a GT3 with rear seats and a manual. I'd even take a PDK. Preferably no wing.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

This thread conjures up a paraphrase from Churchill: Never has so much been said about so little by so many. It's a wingless GT3 that Porsche wants to cash in on after so called purists went bezerk over almost 1000 Rs that became the holy grail of profiteering overnight.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Zlaatan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Call it a 911R, call it a GTS, call it whatever they want. Just offer a high performance, lightish weight, NA, 6 speed manual sports car that doesn't look like it's ready to grid up on the track. The fact is, a big segment of the Porsche sports car customer base wants a true GTS. Not an option package 911S and not a turbo charged 7 speed. They want a true high performance sports car that looks reasonably like a street car. IMO, this should be the FIRST car that Porsche offers in its sports car line up. Every single other model should be considered AFTER this.
Couldn't agree more with this. It's just downright sad that they don't offer a car like this since it's essentially, to me at least, the "textbook" 911.

I seem to recall hearing Andreas Preuninger talking about replacing the GT3 in the future for an R model aimed more at road driving and keeping the GT3RS as the track focused version, which makes very much sense to me.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlaatan
I seem to recall hearing Andreas Preuninger talking about replacing the GT3 in the future for an R model aimed more at road driving and keeping the GT3RS as the track focused version, which makes very much sense to me.
Good idea except at least in america, of the current generation GT cars, it's the not RS that is seeing the track regularly.

( Rennlist members are a different breed), but otherwise in the US, 90% of 991 RS cars are bubble wrapped and only leave the house for cars and coffee because they're so valuable, while the 991 GT3s and GT4s are much more regularly being used on the track.

Last edited by Drifting; 08-05-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
This thread conjures up a paraphrase from Churchill: Never has so much been said about so little by so many about a car most will not even be able to buy. It's a wingless GT3 that Porsche wants to cash in on after so called purists went bezerk over almost 1000 Rs that became the holy grail of profiteering overnight.
FIFY
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
FIFY
+1
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'd have a problem with that. I can ditch the PDK and wing and still bolt on Hoosiers to take TTOD. Not if they soften the suspension though- I get what they're thinking but I'll need all the spring rate of the full fat version and then some.
Note this quote from AP on the Drivetribe interview on the launch of the .2 GT3.

What about the suspension?

"Suspension is re-worked as well, so we have a very RS-ish suspension on the car, we have helper springs on the back - more than meets the eye again."

Did you have that before?

"On the gen one no, on the R we had them, carried over from the RS and we had some little tricks we did on that car. The dampers are a new set up, so the low speed or normal road comfort - as stupid as it sounds - is better than a gen one, more compliant. You can use it on B-roads in the UK better than the gen one, while at the same time more responsive and taut on the track. So the variety of use of this car is ... it was big on the gen one ... now it's bigger, it's better on the road and on the track."
Based on this, other than retuning based on the lack of rear wing, there may not be much that needs to change on the Touring suspension vs the vanilla GT3.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Cedar_Land
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intel on Touring Pack

I recently got my GT3 allocation for Q4 production.

After seeing a recent report showing the Touring Pack is no longer just a Rumour, I called every source I had for Intel regarding the Touring Pack. Here's the response from the horses mouth:

Info on Touring Pack will be officially revealed in September. Production expected to begin in December. Will come with:

Fabric seat inlays.
Aluminum exhaust pipes.
Aluminum side door panel trims.
Manual gear box (only)
No rear wing

I BEGGGED my showroom to change my car to the Tourig Pack allocation... and they accepted as it was only 10 days ago when my full deposit was paid and I spec'd my GT3.

There will be a different price. Will keep y'all posted.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedar_Land

After seeing a recent report showing the Touring Pack is no longer just a Rumour, I called every source I had for Intel regarding the Touring Pack. Here's the response from the horses mouth:

Info on Touring Pack will be officially revealed in September. Production expected to begin in December. Will come with:

Fabric seat inlays.
Aluminum exhaust pipes.
Manual gear box (only)
No rear wing

I BEGGGED my showroom to change my car to the Tourig Pack allocation... and they accepted as it was only 10 days ago when my full deposit was paid and I spec'd my GT3.

Coincides with a lot of the info I was given, but the guy who took this photo (below) was positive that the car was PDK (didnt see the gear shift, but heard rapid fire downshifts when the car took an exit lane - too fast for manual). So who knows what this car will come with...

Old 08-07-2017, 08:57 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Coincides with a lot of the info I was given, but the guy who took this photo (below) was positive that the car was PDK (didnt see the gear shift, but heard rapid fire downshifts when the car took an exit lane - too fast for manual). So who knows what this car will come with... :confused:
He also wrote he saw rear seats.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

If rear seats turn up in this GT model... assuming then no LWBS as non foldable?

Also whats the guess its a detuned 4.0 with a special "touring" mapping to provide more X Y and Z (insert marketing talk) for road use..

Hopefully with all the potential touring comforts its not too soft.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedar_Land

Fabric seat inlays.
Aluminum exhaust pipes.
Manual gear box (only)
No rear wing

This would be perfect and exactly what I expected. I can't see them messing with rear seats, suspension, etc. for just an 'option package' on a GT3. Would be nice if they allowed removal of alcantara entirely from the interior though. Also, based on your info above, if true, I assume wheel color can still be specced any way you want.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:17 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This autoblog.nl video confirmed that there will be an option for wing delete
Old 08-07-2017, 03:36 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superchargedman
This autoblog.nl video confirmed that there will be an option for wing delete https://youtu.be/kl_Qf7CczqU

The wingless will be cool if specs are untouched apart from roll cage...
The strange part will be rear seat as this will never make the LWB possible hence no R like.
One gearbox only will not bring any added value, if PAG propose both, they will sell more
remember manual die hard lovers is a small community, the crowd wants PDKKKKKK

I prefer the wing and the 3 pedals

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option