GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 03:38 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Originally Posted by Nemesis77
I guess I shouldn't be worried that much just yet, since I want to do a ED for next late spring season...

I have a question.

Since this is the first time a GT3 is offered with both PDK and manual, what do you think the used market will do down the road, seems to me that a huge percentage (maybe over 90%) of the total of all GT3s will be manual.
Do you think in the used car market the PDK will have more value in the long run, especially when all the previous gens were all manuals as well.
How about this...instead of worrying about what the future value of a manual or PDK car might be...get the transmission that YOU WANT. Done.
+1

If one is worried about future resell one is not buying the correct car. BTW, that goes for color and options as well IMHO.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis77
I guess I shouldn't be worried that much just yet, since I want to do a ED for next late spring season...

I have a question.

Since this is the first time a GT3 is offered with both PDK and manual, what do you think the used market will do down the road, seems to me that a huge percentage (maybe over 90%) of the total of all GT3s will be manual.
Do you think in the used car market the PDK will have more value in the long run, especially when all the previous gens were all manuals as well.

First I have to agree that you should really just get the transmission that will bring you the most joy (or try to get it).

That being said the production will not be lopsided (aka 80% MT and 20% PDK). As I mentioned in the past post, Manual will not get its own allocation, so you don't have to worry about securing a manual allocation in order to buy one in manual. You will be able to choose from either as long your production date falls correctly. However, that being said, its going to have the same issue as GT4 LWBs. If the demand is as high as we suspect for manual (which honestly RL is definitely not a good gauge for the market of MT or PDK), some time next year Porsche will announce a stop sale on the some of the options, like manual (and other options like LWBs and PTS). It'll happen for 2 reasons. The first reason, is that they will run out of this GT sport transmission parts and cannot supply the part as fast as production, which obviously then they cannot make more GT3 manual for a few productions months. Second reason is, if the part issue is fine, Porsche will still announce a stop sale because of total emission numbers. Porsche will file beforehand the total estimated carb emissions for these cars that they will import based on a somewhat conservative number of PDK vs Manual cars. If it ever gets to even close to 75% manual, they will be way over the quota and Porsche will find a way to balance it, by adding a 7th gear to the GT sport transmission. NO JK, by selling more PDK cars through force.

As for the market, who knows. Its everyone's speculation. But it'll be quite different for short term vs long term. If there is a stop sale for MT, it will definitely drive the price up for manuals for short term. Whether it will balance out over the years that is to be determined.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

For all Carrera models, approximately 10% are ordered with a manual as a point of reference. Very low.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chaosoul
First I have to agree that you should really just get the transmission that will bring you the most joy (or try to get it).

That being said the production will not be lopsided (aka 80% MT and 20% PDK). As I mentioned in the past post, Manual will not get its own allocation, so you don't have to worry about securing a manual allocation in order to buy one in manual. You will be able to choose from either as long your production date falls correctly. However, that being said, its going to have the same issue as GT4 LWBs. If the demand is as high as we suspect for manual (which honestly RL is definitely not a good gauge for the market of MT or PDK), some time next year Porsche will announce a stop sale on the some of the options, like manual (and other options like LWBs and PTS). It'll happen for 2 reasons. The first reason, is that they will run out of this GT sport transmission parts and cannot supply the part as fast as production, which obviously then they cannot make more GT3 manual for a few productions months. Second reason is, if the part issue is fine, Porsche will still announce a stop sale because of total emission numbers. Porsche will file beforehand the total estimated carb emissions for these cars that they will import based on a somewhat conservative number of PDK vs Manual cars. If it ever gets to even close to 75% manual, they will be way over the quota and Porsche will find a way to balance it, by adding a 7th gear to the GT sport transmission. NO JK, by selling more PDK cars through force.

As for the market, who knows. Its everyone's speculation. But it'll be quite different for short term vs long term. If there is a stop sale for MT, it will definitely drive the price up for manuals for short term. Whether it will balance out over the years that is to be determined.
Interesting information. Again Chaosoul you are giving us a much better understanding of how this "game" is played

I will be getting a manual as well, with LWB, Graphite blue, black wheels, PDLS, extended gas tank, aluminum package in anthracite, and Zuffenhausen delivery.

I'm struggling to decided on the lift system... Not sure if I should get it or not.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:20 PM
otisdog
Pro

Yeah, I paid over for my RS because I wanted to have the car
God, I find this to be just a little bit ironic....aren't you the guy that views people that pay over negatively? I assume you paid this money to a "stealer?"
Old 04-06-2017, 04:35 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think USC was specifically insulting unlike some of the other posters that ridiculed the poster who paid $25K over MSRP with homoerotic critique like "taking it hard up the a**"

That's like my real estate clients telling me...forget the commission rebate, we like you so much that we'll pay you extra commission.
Originally Posted by otisdog
God, I find this to be just a little bit ironic....aren't you the guy that views people that pay over negatively? I assume you paid this money to a "stealer?"
Old 04-06-2017, 05:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
Originally Posted by surfer
I don't think USC was specifically insulting unlike some of the other posters that ridiculed the poster who paid $25K over MSRP with homoerotic critique like "taking it hard up the a**"
I wouldn't insult anyone who paid over since I did. I actually paid a person the extra amount for his allocation which I fully specced (his allocation was MSRP at a midwest dealership). I think everyone knows where I stand on things...I hate stealer tactics like...trolling calls from one dealer to another wanting to buying the GT allocations (Auto Gallery), stealers calling around to see if someone will pay some stupid price over instead of selling to their good local customers, calling their local good customers basically trying to do an auction to see how much they are willing to pay, and not selling any of the cars by just speccing them themselves and trying to extract as much blood as they can (Carlsen). Those are the things that really make my blood boil.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:44 PM
chaosoul
Pro

I wouldn't insult anyone who paid over since I did. I actually paid a person the extra amount for his allocation which I fully specced (his allocation was MSRP at a midwest dealership). I think everyone knows where I stand on things...I hate stealer tactics like...trolling calls from one dealer to another wanting to buying the GT allocations (Auto Gallery), stealers calling around to see if someone will pay some stupid price over instead of selling to their good local customers, calling their local good customers basically trying to do an auction to see how much they are willing to pay, and not selling any of the cars by just speccing them themselves and trying to extract as much blood as they can (Carlsen). Those are the things that really make my blood boil.

USC is your name by the way ^

Yea there's a fine grey line between reasonable and unreasonable.

Its their dealer so whatever, conduct the business in any legal way you want. However, at the minimum they should deal with customers in an honest fashion. If you tell a client A, it should be A. Don't tell a client your car is sold at MSRP and when the car comes you hustle for more. Don't tell a client you are on the list, in reality you are not. Don't tell a client you are 3rd on the list, but obviously they got more than 5 cars in and you never got a call. Don't tell a client you already have 3 clients paying 50k over if that's not the truth.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:37 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I wouldn't, especially if you're in TX hill country and not planning to do any track time. The Spyder (and any Boxster for that matter) is a superior backcountry road carver to the GT3.
I'm getting my .2 GT3 primarily for TX Hill Country cruises with the wife, Local PCA meets/cruises/AutoCx. The local PCA is fairly active. Being honest here. Im no track junky, but do intend on at least one day at COTA to cross it off the list. Dont have a Spyder/boxter though.

Chaosoul (or anybody), what is the "most classic Motorsport Porsche" color available as non-PTS?

White? Or Is there a certain silver (ei: GT vs Rhodium)?
Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
I'm getting my .2 GT3 primarily for TX Hill Country cruises with the wife, Local PCA meets/cruises/AutoCx. The local PCA is fairly active. Being honest here. Im no track junky, but do intend on at least one day at COTA to cross it off the list. Dont have a Spyder/boxter though.

Chaosoul (or anybody), what is the "most classic Motorsport Porsche" color available as non-PTS?

Congrats on your gt3.

Just a little warning about taking your gt3 to the track once to tick it off your bucket list.

That might involve buying a trailer and new wheels and tires down the road.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:48 PM
chaosoul
Pro

That would be white and guards red for non PTS color.

As you probably can tell most Motorsport and GT RS cars are solid non-metallic paint (not all). That doesn't leave you with much choice for non PTS.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

White. Silver also for German marques in general. If you really want a *color* and some historical Porsche reference, look to the original RS/RSR and the cars from the IROC series that were all painted different colors. Our resident PTS guru has written extensively on this topic if you search through this forum.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:59 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

HI sorry if this has been covered as i did not read through the whole thread
configurator does not show MT as an option
what are you guys putting
thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by pitt911
HI sorry if this has been covered as i did not read through the whole thread
configurator does not show MT as an option
what are you guys putting
thanks

Manual Transmission will not be on the configurator until later.

The first 2.5 months of production will not include manual transmissions.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:11 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

thanks for the quick reply as I have been asked to submit a build code by my dealer
I guess I have to wait if I insist on MT
will have to think it over

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread