Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:29 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
That therein is the travesty in all of this. Dealers hoarding and waiting for victims. Meanwhile, the ability to build your own car is lost.
Newport Beach will be doing this. Sad! lol
Old 04-06-2017, 12:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That therein is the travesty in all of this. Dealers hoarding and waiting for victims. Meanwhile, the ability to build your own car is lost.
I'm sure that's somehow for your own and Porsche's good -- you just haven't figured out how yet.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:37 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick
Clearly opinions on exterior colors are subjective. That said, anyone that chooses chalk for is/her GT3 should have their head examined. It's just a horrible color for a sport car particularly the 911. I would urge anyone considering that color to see it in person on a 911.
Going to get head examined now...
Old 04-06-2017, 12:56 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 166 Posts

I still truly believe that Porsche makes enough for demand minus one. They are masters at it. Think about it. How much whining do you hear about not getting an allocation once the cars are at the end of production? In the beginning everyone said there wouldn't be enough GT4s, yet everyone I know that truly wanted one, got one. Even the 991RS. My buddy just turned down a new RS at msrp at a NorCal dealer. Supply is artificially limited by flippers and greedy dealers holding onto allocations in search of the big sucker. A list is just a list. Not indicative of actual demand. People are on multiple lists and many back out once it comes down to signing the paperwork. For the 991, I was number 17 and ended up being called as number 6 half way into production. I got offers from 2 other places at msrp at the same time.

A deposit gets you in line. First come, first serve. People with a prior history could potentially get higher up on the list, using a point system like CJ uses. Once the flippers and dealers restricting supply are taken out, the process gets a lot more simple.
Agreed - but the market is not equal on supply/demand initially. That is a dynamic timepoint that changes all the time. It extends past production, as it gets projected onto the used car market. Demand is the number of people who want the car at that time... not 2 years down the road. orked hard on making sure that I have good relationships with my dealer. I bring all my cars to that dealer for service. I give them first right at selling my used car, etc. And I don't haggle them to death for trade-in value or non-GT type cars.

First come first serve doesn't work well either. What would happen is people would all try to get in line about 3 years and just randomly speculate what car will be produced and put their name down for the next 5 years.

Even my LT I got at MSRP, because they knew my large presence online - both going to C&C's and being on track. That and I tend to spec nice looking cars which get a lot of social media exposure.

I think the allocation systems need to be more opaque. CJ's my friend and he's really got a great system and I applaud that. I also think that a nonrefundable deposit is needed - a large one. Make sure the people getting on the list are actually going to pay... so there's no inflated lists.

Long post - but having been through this for McLarens and Porsches I've gotten a little cynical about it.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
I am sickened by what I am hearing and seeing... Dealers asking for premiums over msrp on new untitled Porsches is horrible for the brand and ultimately will come back to hurt them in an economic downturn. Ferrari the king of premium pricing will not allow a dealer to sell an untitled new car for over MSRP. That is how it should be. Used cars may have a different value (up or down based on supply-demand) but new cars should be sold at MSRP especially to those customers that have supported those very dealerships with service revenue! My 2c worth!
Ferrari's model is not what it seems. You have to buy used Ferrari's from Ferrari to be able to get the new models, and you have to sell them through Ferrari. And if you think you can haggle those used model prices and trade-in prices... you won't get that brand new 488GTB.

No different these days with McLaren either. I had to sell my 12C through McLaren as well as be very active on social media - which is fine, I love my 675LT. But there's always a price to pay to get an allocation with Ferrari, and now McLaren.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:06 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastmd
I am having trouble understanding why everyone is so upset. If you get the car at the price you want, buy it, if not, don't buy it.

There are many options that are available. I love Porsches, my first car was a Porsche, but there is a limit for everything(imho).

The other thing is that I am seeing a lot of first time buyers of GT cars and Porsches complaining. If anyone deserves a car at MSRP, it's those that have been buying them all along.

The car world is cyclical, everyone should take a deep breath. Many manufacturers are testing the limits of consumers right now.
I agree
Old 04-06-2017, 01:12 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Honestly it's a car.. while it may stir up passions.. paying over MSRP is just plain dumb. If canadian dealers charged over for new cars I would never buy again. I would simply move on.. you guys in the US seem to crave the newest and greatest and that "must have it now" attitude is not benefiting you at all.

Now if you're extremely wealthy, I guess you may not care.. but the people of wealth that I know would never pay over.. Maybe their kids, but not them.
I know a lot of wealthy people as well - they don't like getting raped either. But they also chalk the over-MSRP markup as market forces. For them, it's worth it and they see it as a standard fee for being the first.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:16 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
fabe32, while I think you got the volume boning plan (especially on a Cayenne Diesel at close to MSRP...) it's your money and you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks. You simply paid $55k for the right to drive a GT car for about 3 years and then get the opportunity to pay sticker for your dream car. And when you factor in the value of driving the cars in the interim, the premium on the RS won't be all that much at the end of the day.
This. I never fault people for what they spend on cars. People value things differently. Even though we think he's hosed... he just did want he felt was necessary to get the car he wanted and not spend excess amounts of time trying to find a dealer to give him one at MSRP.

Again, I don't advocate markups. I just won't haze people who pay them.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaosoul
I would like to clear this up once and for all. I don't work for Porsche or any dealer, any reseller, and I don't work for the auto industry.

Though I won't post purchase contracts online, I will gladly show it to RL members on the next meet/track days. I've met a lot of you, and some of you guys know me already but you guys just don't realize it. As I said before, I am not new to the forum, I am the 7 year RL member. Its how I provide you with information, and time will tell about the accuracy of my information. For example, you will see soon that the 911 will get a brand new color: a pearlescent color as non-PTS standard special color.

Your intent to not ridicule, insult, or inform in a not so gentle way is driving people away. I am super surprised he still replied with positivity. Because over the years I have already seen too many cases where new GT owners post on here once and never again. The forum has become some peer pressured about buying at MSRP that I am almost 100% positive that a lot of members here bought it at 5-15k over and have never admit it due to the feedback they might get.

And it really does sound like bragging every time someone said they bought it at over MSRP, someone else replies I bought all these cars at MSRP with no problem, and then point out its at an ultra high demand region (to further point out they're not in the Midwest or something), which is why I said why I said to get a taste of your own medicine. And its true but I really rather not have said it.

I just wish this place to really be positive about sharing experience. You may not like it, or condone it, but you don't have to get in people's faces. They may be able to share with you invaluable information down the line that you won't know. As for helping, I don't think the use of a "parenting" educating tactic is the right way. You guys all could've suggested him how to approach it next time in a better way imo.
Well said, I know many people who stopped coming to forums because of this behavior. They're great people. They have reasons for doing what they do. They don't want to waste their busy time getting ridiculed and told they were dumb.

If you never met someone and meet them in real life and say, "you're a dumbass for doing that" it's unlikely you'd be socially acceptable. For all the times someone has said that to me online, I've seen 0 people do that to me to my face. Not that I'm a threatening person - when they meet me they understand my sincerity and how helpful I am to people who aren't familiar with car meets, track events, etc.

The problem is that we need to hear more from people paying over MSRP and why. We need to see how many people are doing so - to get an idea where us non-markup payers stand.

Being unwelcoming, and shouting people away from the forum and then saying they have no thick skin is not a way to get the best discussion.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

I called Carlsen a while back about their list and the dbag who answered laughed and said they don't have any list or allocations they give out, they spec all the cars themselves and sell them at market price.
Yeah I've never been a fan of Carlsen. They benefit that they sit in Silicon Valley and a lot of non-informed buyers walk in and buy their cars.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Even the 991RS. My buddy just turned down a new RS at msrp at a NorCal dealer.
Just saw this. If this is true, please PM me the dealer. I thought I knew all the RS's that were in inventory up here and none of them were being offered at MSRP. If there is one out there, I'd be interested in knowing.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Porschmich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw this. If this is true, please PM me the dealer. I thought I knew all the RS's that were in inventory up here and none of them were being offered at MSRP. If there is one out there, I'd be interested in knowing.
I have yet to hear about a MSRP at a dealer or non-dealer for sale. California or not tell us who to call on that one.
Guess I did see one with a salvage title.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I shouldn't be worried that much just yet, since I want to do a ED for next late spring season...

I have a question.

Since this is the first time a GT3 is offered with both PDK and manual, what do you think the used market will do down the road, seems to me that a huge percentage (maybe over 90%) of the total of all GT3s will be manual.
Do you think in the used car market the PDK will have more value in the long run, especially when all the previous gens were all manuals as well.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:06 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis77
I guess I shouldn't be worried that much just yet, since I want to do a ED for next late spring season...

I have a question.

Since this is the first time a GT3 is offered with both PDK and manual, what do you think the used market will do down the road, seems to me that a huge percentage (maybe over 90%) of the total of all GT3s will be manual.
Do you think in the used car market the PDK will have more value in the long run, especially when all the previous gens were all manuals as well.
How about this...instead of worrying about what the future value of a manual or PDK car might be...get the transmission that YOU WANT. Done.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
How about this...instead of worrying about what the future value of a manual or PDK car might be...get the transmission that YOU WANT. Done.
I know what you mean about not worrying and, trust me, I will get the transmission that I like, just for conversation purposes I'm asking, it will be a main topic in 2 years time from now, so I'm give it a head-start.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread