Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Look at it this way; La La land where a $200k yearly salary barely allows you to pay rent. Stupid $ in SV.
Unlike in your neck of the woods where that probably is enough for house payments.

So why again do people migrate there when everything appears to be overpriced? Has to be more than the climate, the 4 seasons: drought, flood, fire & normal.

My wife bought me these 3 posters and hung them up to remind me of the only reason I tolerate living here.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
I do not like taking someones deposit if there is ZERO chance of getting you a car as that is simply unfair to the client. I think folks that have dealt with me directly know I do not mince any words with respect to the deposit lists we have. We did receive 20 991 GT3's over the three year production cycle...I don't expect this model to last more than 2 years so how many units will we get? 20-25 would seem to me to be the number. Now we do have a unique situation with this new release in that 90% of our deposits want a manual transmission which will not be offered for the June, July and August builds. So the guy who is number 12 on our list will be getting the first car we receive...and so on...until we get a September build that we can specify a manual transmission and revert back to the number 1 guy on the list.

To the folks believing everyone will get one at MSRP good luck with that. I likely cannot fill half of the orders this store has...I have called my friends at other stores and they all have 40+ deposits as well with no chance of getting that many cars. For this store to get 40 GT3's, Porsche will need to make 5000 cars for the US market. I would love for that to happen...but it seems unlikely at best....
Do you believe that US dealers will be offered PDK allocation for June, July and August? I thought August the factory was closed and June and July were primarily Europe and ROW allocations.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Absolutely. And if the market tanked and prices dropped below sticker, it's not like customers would be lining up to pay MSRP anyway, out of loyalty to the dealership. They'd demand a lower price. I don't begrudge the dealerships wanting to get a premium for the cars. I also don't (totally) begrudge the way they hand out allocations. It's business and in business you keep your best customers the happiest. What little angst I have is directed squarely at Porsche. Proper production/pricing would solve it all.

That said, the GT3 is not a $50k over car and I can't see the market premiums paid, even for early builds, being that high, save for the rare exception.

And honestly, all Porsche would have to do to stop the shenanigans is to publicly say 'we're going to make enough of them to satisfy all the demand'. Even if it's a lie, all they'd have to do is make that statement and the market would react by keeping flippers out and pricing in line.
Look at it from Porsche' standpoint. Building more GT3's isn't free. They would probably need more capital investment to make that work, since there is a shelf life for any gen. And it would take time. There's also no guarantee that this car frenzy doesn't go pop, and when it does they could be staring at financial headwinds for quite a while. Meanwhile the dealer network is happy selling "limited" cars far over MSRP, banking the difference, not to mention great profit on the cars in the first place. And then there is the fact that GT cars aren't exactly Honda's on the road, so maintaining that exclusivity is something that attract buyers to as well.

Add it all up and there just isn't any desire from anyone involved to change the supply in a meaningful way. Now, when easy money goes away things will get a lot more real. Until then, pay up or buy something else. And for the record, I think this environment blows. But it is what it is.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Last edited by STG; 03-22-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ExMB
Look at it this way; La La land where a $200k yearly salary barely allows you to pay rent. Stupid $ in SV.
Unlike in your neck of the woods where that probably is enough for house payments.

So why again do people migrate there when everything appears to be overpriced? Has to be more than the climate, the 4 seasons: drought, flood, fire & normal.

Having lived in a few different states, I honestly think there is a mindset in California that there is no place else in the country worth living except there. At one point I had that view. Then you move away, understand the sacrifices you were making, get over the fact that weather changes, and learn to appreciate the benefits of where you moved to. And then you pray to god that people in California don't figure this out, or they will screw up your little slice of heaven.

Colorado is 1,000 miles away from California. That is the only thing saving it, and even then we get them. I know. I was one!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Rob --- a new video soon?? Could use a good laugh around here.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by STG
Rob --- a new video soon?? Could use a good laugh around here.
It is on my list, buddy!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:46 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

If a 911 R with an inferior motor and nothing superior other than being limited is worth 200k+ over; if a GT4 was/is 15-25k over; I can easily see the new GT3 end up and sell at 50k over.

Frankly I think Porsche under-priced it by about 20k already because that's about how much more I would have paid them before I started to have second thoughts.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Do you believe that US dealers will be offered PDK allocation for June, July and August? I thought August the factory was closed and June and July were primarily Europe and ROW allocations.
Yes that is correct...June, July and August builds...will all be PDK only and no PTS either. September PTS and manual orders can be placed.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
My wife bought me these 3 posters and hung them up to remind me of the only reason I tolerate living here.
Joe, where is the Buttonwillow poster?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Joe, where is the Buttonwillow poster?
Lol! I need to make it out there first! Maybe this thanksgiving!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:58 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Bronson,don't keep us hanging here sir : manual or pdk? Myself and Rob are taking bets.
No need to call me sir, I'm just like you, one of the guys. As far as keeping you hanging, it might just come down to a coin flip, still undecided. As I said to Rob, he will be the second to know and you can be the third. After all, I figure I should tell my wife first. Heck, I might just let her pick.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:00 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Yes that is correct...June, July and August builds...will all be PDK only and no PTS either. September PTS and manual orders can be placed.
Thank you for the information. Can 918 owners wait to place an order in Sept and be guaranteed a PTS car?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I think Bronson is going manual this time, Nick. Just a hunch!
Well let's put it this way, you have a 50, 50 chance of being right.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Thank you for the information. Can 918 owners wait to place an order in Sept and be guaranteed a PTS car?
918 guys that are on the VIP program have their own schedule that I am not privy too.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread