Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:23 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
waxer - curious which mac you own or owned?
Curious- That’s relevant to the issue because????
Old 05-26-2020, 11:29 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fastmd
The people on here who make assumptions with regards to Mac ownership and reliability Who don’t own one or never have are of the same value of the the current crowd talking about treatments/vaccines for Covid-19 who have never treated a patient and no understanding of clinical data.

It’s getting absurd.
Nothing to do with making assumptions on anything.

Aside from all the negative YouTube blogs you don’t need to own one to read stuff like this that appears all too often and form a negative impression.

https://www.mclarenlife.com/threads/...oncerns.89265/

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mclare...-mclaren-570gt

Last edited by Waxer; 05-26-2020 at 11:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Napoli (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

No, one should not assume the worst about management but one should thoroughly and carefully review. That is the job of an independent board and, in a company with a very limited number of shareholders such as McLaren, ultimately of the shareholders.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:36 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I think its pretty straightforward - if you have owned one you will understand how you buy/order a car, how MSO works - what the servicing and reliability is like. Theres nothing like ownership to give you actual perspective.

I really enjoy my 720S its an event every time I drive it. What has Porsche got up it sleeve? another larger, heavier, GT3 and GT3 RS. I can't see any reason to buy a GT3 or the next RS, perhaps a 992.2 GT3 RS to replace my current RS as a dedicated comp car.

In contrast, I can see a lot of reasons why I would "gentleman drive" a 765LT. There are a few below.

The colour is MSO Abyss black with carbon black and dove grey interior and is finished with the MSO Clubsport pro pack, has a paltry 770Nm torque, spits flames from quad exhaust tips, weighs 1,229 kg dry, gets to 200kmh in 7s and stops from 200kmh in 110m - Art, design, engineering meets performance - interest registered

Another Porsche customer going, going, going................................................................... .............................

Last edited by groundhog; 05-27-2020 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:47 AM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I think its pretty straightforward - if you have owned one you will understand how you buy/order a car, how MSO works - what the servicing and reliability is like. Theres nothing like ownership to give you actual perspective.

I really enjoy my 720S its an event every time I drive it. What has Porsche got up it sleeve? another larger, heavier, GT3 and GT3 RS. I can't see any reason to buy a GT3 or the next RS, perhaps a 992.2 GT3 RS to replace my current RS as a dedicated comp car.

In contrast, I can see a lot of reasons why I would "gentleman drive" a 765LT. There are a few below.

The colour is MSO Abyss black with carbon black and dove grey interior and is finished with the MSO Clubsport pro pack, has a paltry 770Nm torque, spits flames from quad exhaust tips, weighs 1,229 kg dry, gets to 200kmh in 7s and stops from 200kmh in 110m - Art, design, engineering meets performance - interest registered

Another Porsche customer going, going, going................................................................... .............................
I’ve owned a 12c and a 720s . I’ve Also driven almost every Mclaren produced. Here’s my unbiased opinion:
positives
1. very cool looking
2. people who like to show off love the doors
3. very very fast
4. great structural rigidity
negatives
1. Horrible build quality
2. horrible customer service
3. horrible depreciation
4. Mediocre sound
5. horrible reliability
6. Horrible electronics
7. motor not made by Mclaren and basically rebaked over and over again for all their cars
8. Too many new models constantly coming out
9. Turbo lag especially early in rev range (better on 720s but still not great)
So after owning almost every exotic out there I keep coming back to Porsche GT cars. They’re the best balance of a sports car available imo.
Napoli (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 01:53 AM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I will take that as you havent owned one
Old 05-27-2020, 02:05 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Howydo
I’ve owned a 12c and a 720s . I’ve Also driven almost every Mclaren produced. Here’s my unbiased opinion:
positives
1. very cool looking
3. very very fast
negatives
3. horrible depreciation
4. Mediocre sound
5. horrible reliability
6. Horrible electronics
7. motor not made by Mclaren and basically rebaked over and over again for all their cars
So after owning almost every exotic out there I keep coming back to Porsche GT cars. They’re the best balance of a sports car available imo.
you crapped on 720s and mclaren Over and over again and then you finally disclosed that you modified the car and had a warranty claim denied right ? It went from the best car ever to the worst car ever after that event , no?
Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Howydo
positives
1. very cool looking
3. very very fast
negatives
3. horrible depreciation
4. Mediocre sound
5. horrible reliability
6. Horrible electronics
OK my 720S (UNMODIFIED)
1. very cool looking - yep
2. people who like to show off love the doors - don't like to show off - but everyone loves the doors and the view from inside
3. very very fast - yes indeed
4. great structural rigidity - yes indeed
5. My turn - fantastic balance, turns on a dime
6. One of the best all round suspension set ups you will find on any car at any price
negatives
1. Horrible build quality - my 720S has better build quality than the last three Porsche sports cars I've owned all of which have had more than minor warranty work - all were purchased new
2. horrible customer service - not my experience, try dealing with Porsche Germany - I have and they weren't good experiences - slow, unresponsive, didn't really care
3. horrible depreciation - sure, if you're worried about that. I'm not but then again I invest well and don't buy things I can't afford
4. Mediocre sound - Porsche turbo makes mediocre look good - but never been worried about sound
5. horrible reliability - see above - How would you rate a roof liner simply falling down whilst driving, coil packs going, water pump leaving the car stranded, loose belt tensioner (on the point of failure luckily picked up by my race mechanic who was doing "spanner" checks for me......
6. Horrible electronics - have no problems with mine
7. motor not made by Mclaren and basically rebaked over and over again for all their cars - no but its made by MB, who given their F1 performance know how to make great engines and clearly the engine in the 720S blows the doors off anything made by Porsche - motors made by Porsche mmmm the 991.1 GT3 engine......say no more. Moreover, which manufacturer is leading the GT3 Intercontinental GT championship - oh its Mercedes Benz.
8. Too many new models constantly coming out - unlike Porsche who are a vacuum - another GT3 its 20kg heavier than the last model and has 30 more HP........oh the excitement and the Mclaren hierarchy is quite simple Sports, GT, Super and Ultimate - how many variations do Porsche make of the 911?? - no need to answer its a rhetorical question
9. Turbo lag especially early in rev range (better on 720s but still not great) - change down a gear, problem gone

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
you crapped on 720s and mclaren Over and over again and then you finally disclosed that you modified the car and had a warranty claim denied right ? It went from the best car ever to the worst car ever after that event , no?
Oh didn't know he (howydo) did that..........well theres the fairly straight forward explanation for the straw man argument. Blaming Mclaren for after market modifications is not a strong position to take.

I have come to a sensible position - For me personally, Porsche are not building the types of car I like or want to move on with. It doesn't mean I don't respect some of their product offerings - I do, the RS being one of them. I like many others feel they could have really moved on with the Cayman platform - this is a real missed opportunity. The level of self torture is epitomised by the mid-engined RSR.

Another thought, going forward electric vehicles are going to become more prevalent - the peak motorsport for electric vehicles is Formula E. Who provides the batteries, ECU and electric motors......................is it Porsche? No, its Mclaren.

Last edited by groundhog; 05-27-2020 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added unmodified
Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FLGT
I will take that as you havent owned one
And I’ll take it that you can’t explain why it’s relevant to the issue at hand.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:37 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

7. motor not made by Mclaren and basically rebaked over and over again for all their cars - no but its made by MB, who given their F1 performance know how to make great engines and clearly the engine in the 720S blows the doors off anything made by Porsche - motors made by Porsche mmmm the 991.1 GT3 engine......say no more. Moreover, which manufacturer is leading the GT3 Intercontinental GT championship - oh its Mercedes Benz.
The motor is "made by Mercedes" ?

I thought is was developed and built by Ricardo and is a bespoke competition crushing piece of awesomeness
Guest89 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:45 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Yep. Just as I thought you and the other Mac owners here are stuck on personal “actual perspective” based on ownership.

I’M NOT DISCUSSING ACTUAL PERSPECTIVE BASED OWNERSHIP.

For purposes of this argument I’ll stipulate all your personal ownership experiences have been orgasmic and that to all you starry owners here Mac is the Mecca of automobiles. 😍😍😍😍

Done.

Now explain to me how that’s relevant to the issue of poor public perception they suffer from.

Now lay out the case Macs don’t suffer from poor public perception.

Convince me. I’m fair minded.

Napoli (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep. Just as I thought you and the other Mac owners here are stuck on personal “actual perspective” based on ownership.

I’M NOT DISCUSSING ACTUAL PERSPECTIVE BASED OWNERSHIP.

For purposes of this argument I’ll stipulate all your personal ownership experiences have been orgasmic and that to all you starry owners here Mac is the Mecca of automobiles. 😍😍😍😍

Done.

Now explain to me how that’s relevant to the issue of poor public perception they suffer from.

Now lay out the case Macs don’t suffer from poor public perception.

Convince me. I’m fair minded.

There is no need to take the time trying to convince you, you won't understand
Old 05-27-2020, 08:23 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Close buddy, had a 720s, recently traded it in at a major loss for a Gt2RS.

Although the 720 is special, that amazing suspension for everyday driving, crazy ridiculously fast. If you think it’s tough getting in and out of a RS, you would laugh at doing the same in the 720, Porsche also has a lot more room inside.

Even though, we both loved the 720s, the danger with cost of ownership, with all its advanced technologies, the constant little problems, service still trying to figure out these cars, the quick depreciation. vs. Porsche simple approach to getting the job done, never an issue with service, GT2 RS handles a lot better, is also very fast.

Reduced cost of ownership, proven reliability, Porsche wins.
Napoli (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:31 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely the 720S is quicker than a 2RS, in a straight line, plus for daily street driving it’s ridiculously smooth.. that’s about it!

Porsche did not build a drag car, nor a compliant daily driver, it built a car that can lay down some serious lap times without trying to kill you. The application of power, It’s aero, is married to the suspension ability to stick. It’s a balanced approach.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

This is getting ridiculous!!

Moderators- will you finally move this thread. It should of been closed a year ago.

This should be on some Mac forum.
P-Car777 (05-27-2020)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success