Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 05:39 PM
zim32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
My 675 has had a failed A/C, gps for data track telemetry, and a check engine all in 3 track days this year.

And having said all that it was above and beyond the greatest track experience I have EVER had including half a dozen Porsche's i owned including 991 GT2rs and manual 991.2 gt3.

The mclaren is at a different driving experience to all road Porsche's - drive it and don't rely on others for their experience.

But....I've also likely lost $100k with the 675 in depreciation this year alone. But again it's not an investment and the car if anything is more special as I drive more newer build stuff.

Next move from a McLaren LT is a race car - and I'm almost there so....
Have approx. 9k miles on my 675LT with about half of that track mileage...I'm the original owner. Had minor coolant leak and one check engine light in 4 years of ownership.
Completely different experience on track compared to my .1 GT3rs although I must say the rs feels much much more "bulletproof"...the 675LT takes everything up a few notches and so rewarding..
The following 2 users liked this post by zim32:
17bhub (12-03-2019), thebishman (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

got to drive the 570 Spyder again today. car always makes me smile, but in a different way than my 997.2 GT3.

the 570 drives much smoother, quieter and faster than the GT3. love getting on the gas and feeling the turbos kick in.
the GT3 drives livelier, louder and is more engaging than the 570. love the immediacy and rawness of it.

up to about 3400 miles on the 570 now and other than an oil leak around the filter housing early on the car has been problem free.
it's the SO's car and think she plans to keep it for quite some time, so will def look into the extended warranty options.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Best Melville design yet
Name:  photo176.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  330.5 KBName:  photo260.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  308.5 KBName:  photo58.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  335.8 KBName:  photo20.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  288.5 KBName:  photo599.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  264.8 KB
Old 11-13-2019, 10:00 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

So effectively their SP1/2? Interesting they have an optional windshield. The airflow management seems really interesting.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...specs-hp-info/
Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
So effectively their SP1/2? Interesting they have an optional windshield. The airflow management seems really interesting.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...specs-hp-info/
Interesting. I wonder if this "air-windshield" will also work for rocks and debris. Though for anyone that can afford a $1.7m car, paying for brain surgery should not be a problem.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Interesting. I wonder if this "air-windshield" will also work for rocks and debris. Though for anyone that can afford a $1.7m car, paying for brain surgery should not be a problem.
will need James May to test it out and see if he gets hit by a bug like he did in the Caterham.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:26 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Though for anyone that can afford a $1.7m car, paying for brain surgery should not be a problem.

LOLOLOL
Old 11-14-2019, 08:51 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 390 Posts

Today I got a lead on a sub-500 mile Senna for around MSRP ~$1 million. What are these going for now?

If you're interested, send me a PM with your name, mobile phone, email, and city and I'll try to be helpful.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:59 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Mac dealer (same owner as Porsche dealer) sent an email to get a spin in a GT so I grabbed an early spot during the day as the Mac dealer is between my one house and the other house/work.

I had watched all the reviews and was intrigued by the GT. Figured it might be a buy after the first owner took a $100k hit, especially if it comes in a Spyder. Here is my impression as a Porsche/British vehicle guy.

I had spent zero time in a Mac. Never even sat in one.

Mac corp rep gave me the run down on specs features etc. sat in the car and it became clear that the economics and systems are terrible. Took me 3 minutes to feel my way through the seat switches which are blind, on the wrong side, and seemingly will not do what you expect. Then, after the car was started, I touched the screen to see what the radio looked like as far as an interface and .... nothing happened. Screen did not respond. Rear visibility was crap, except ahead, visibility all around was poor, headroom was barely tolerable as the seats would not go down far enough, the engine sounded like crap and had a sort of rough idle shake. I had high hopes for the interior (I hate alcantara and carbon) and the leather was nicer than Porsche leather, but no where near as nice as the really good leather you see in rolls/Bentley/merc upgraded/Lambo upgraded. I asked if it was semi analine and the rep said yes. But the fit and finish was far from perfect and it seems as though the pieces were not selected to go together and the grain had abrupt changes panel to panel and the stitching was not perfectly placed. Also the cargo area is very big but extremely shallow. If you wanted to carry three garment bags it might make sense .... or skis as the rep mentioned. And I guess golf clubs fit. The rep said the target audience was Aston DB11 and Bentley conti drivers. And you can’t get wood trim or senna seats.

I passed on the test drive after spending 15 minutes in it.

Anyway, I just don’t see the appeal of it. It has a veneer of luxury with the leather and aluminium speaker grills (this speaker grill trend needs to stop), but it is not luxurious by any stretch. It has lotus Evora level fit and finish (ok not that bad), sounds merc 4.0 turbo V8 boring, it is a pretty big car, weights 3400lbs plus, has worse than jag level reliability (by reputation at least) and nothing in it made any sense. How did the company which made the greatest car in history end up here?

The following 2 users liked this post by evilfij:
Howydo (11-30-2019), JAhmed (12-01-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 11:58 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
The rep said the target audience was Aston DB11 and Bentley conti drivers. And you can’t get wood trim or senna seats.
How did the company which made the greatest car in history end up here?
”Aston Martin sales are heading in an amazing direction! Let’s get in on some of that action”
”you’re holding their sales chart upside down, genius”
Old 11-15-2019, 12:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I think I'd wear a helmet with face screen (good practice in a Caterham, Ariel Atom, and BAC Mono also).
Old 11-15-2019, 02:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Mac dealer (same owner as Porsche dealer) sent an email to get a spin in a GT so I grabbed an early spot during the day as the Mac dealer is between my one house and the other house/work.

I had watched all the reviews and was intrigued by the GT. Figured it might be a buy after the first owner took a $100k hit, especially if it comes in a Spyder. Here is my impression as a Porsche/British vehicle guy.

I had spent zero time in a Mac. Never even sat in one.

Mac corp rep gave me the run down on specs features etc. sat in the car and it became clear that the economics and systems are terrible. Took me 3 minutes to feel my way through the seat switches which are blind, on the wrong side, and seemingly will not do what you expect. Then, after the car was started, I touched the screen to see what the radio looked like as far as an interface and .... nothing happened. Screen did not respond. Rear visibility was crap, except ahead, visibility all around was poor, headroom was barely tolerable as the seats would not go down far enough, the engine sounded like crap and had a sort of rough idle shake. I had high hopes for the interior (I hate alcantara and carbon) and the leather was nicer than Porsche leather, but no where near as nice as the really good leather you see in rolls/Bentley/merc upgraded/Lambo upgraded. I asked if it was semi analine and the rep said yes. But the fit and finish was far from perfect and it seems as though the pieces were not selected to go together and the grain had abrupt changes panel to panel and the stitching was not perfectly placed. Also the cargo area is very big but extremely shallow. If you wanted to carry three garment bags it might make sense .... or skis as the rep mentioned. And I guess golf clubs fit. The rep said the target audience was Aston DB11 and Bentley conti drivers. And you can’t get wood trim or senna seats.

I passed on the test drive after spending 15 minutes in it.

Anyway, I just don’t see the appeal of it. It has a veneer of luxury with the leather and aluminium speaker grills (this speaker grill trend needs to stop), but it is not luxurious by any stretch. It has lotus Evora level fit and finish (ok not that bad), sounds merc 4.0 turbo V8 boring, it is a pretty big car, weights 3400lbs plus, has worse than jag level reliability (by reputation at least) and nothing in it made any sense. How did the company which made the greatest car in history end up here?
Just wait until McLaren comes out with their SUV.

Mid-engined, carbon monocoque SUV with suicide doors.

#StickToWhatYouKnowBest
Old 11-15-2019, 05:44 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just wait until McLaren comes out with their SUV.

Mid-engined, carbon monocoque SUV with suicide doors.

#StickToWhatYouKnowBest
sadly, you know they’d sell a **** ton of them. Almost hard to blame them. Almost
Old 11-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Great video at Laguna comparing the 600LT and the 991.2 GT3RS, both are excellent drivers.
The following users liked this post:
yesyoucan (11-19-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 06:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

This car seems awesome...love the 600LT looks. The roof scoop seems rare too

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Quick Reply: McLaren Success