Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 03:44 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
You sure post a lot about public perceptions on a car you have never owned.
I'm not sure any one of us is a great barometer of public perceptions based on a few people's (or even 100 peoples) on line posts or videos.
Most owners don't post stuff anywhere. Probably less than 1% of owners.
I hope they, and other companies survive this crisis.
FWIW - I don't own a Mclaren currently. Have owned 2. No real issues with either of them.
Yeah, see that’s the whole thing about discussing public perception. Ownership not required.
The following users liked this post:
Napoli (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:45 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Regardless of what the public perception of McLaren is (either good, bad, or somewhere in between), it does matter and it is relevant.

Just look at Aston Martin. They are a British car marque, making gorgeous cars, who source their engines from a 3rd party, but have a public perception that their cars are leaking oil buckets with steep depreciation curves. Sound familiar?

Aston Martin and financial trouble go together like peanut butter and jelly, and it isn't necessarily because they make bad cars (although some of it is), but it's mostly because of the public's perception of their cars.

I hope McLaren does well going forward, if for nothing else because no one should ever root for people losing their jobs.
+1

You know Ipse is correct when I agree with him. 😁
Old 05-28-2020, 04:40 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Yeah, see that’s the whole thing about discussing public perception. Ownership not required.
Agree. But might be required to talk (in person) to more than 5-10-20 people and reading a few posts on an internet chat site.
Just saying.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:59 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 106 Posts

Ok, i need some help here. Can somebody explain what the point of the bickering is? I aint trying to pick sides - people are entitled to their opinions! But it seems as though some people on here (nudge nudge) aren't going to get off the soapbox until everyone agrees these are **** kit cars with no future in sight. Like OK, let's say we all agree to that. Then what?

Bottom line, some people like'm some people despise them. Get over it. We collectively wouldn't be acting with such superiority complexes in real life. How about a little give and take in this online setting?

Keep in mind this thread was started at a time when it was costing $50k above MSRP to have a shot at getting a Porsche GT product, and Mclaren seemed to offer an alternative. We sure were moaning and groaning then, but for totally different reasons!

Last edited by J9277655; 05-28-2020 at 06:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by J9277655:
AlexCeres (05-31-2020), Maverick787 (05-28-2020), rodsky (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:48 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by J9277655
Ok, i need some help here. Can somebody explain what the point of the bickering is? I aint trying to pick sides - people are entitled to their opinions! But it seems as though some people on here (nudge nudge) aren't going to get off the soapbox until everyone agrees these are **** kit cars with no future in sight. Like OK, let's say we all agree to that. Then what?

Bottom line, some people like'm some people despise them. Get over it. We collectively wouldn't be acting with such superiority complexes in real life. How about a little give and take in this online setting?

Keep in mind this thread was started at a time when it was costing $50k above MSRP to have a shot at getting a Porsche GT product, and Mclaren seemed to offer an alternative. We sure were moaning and groaning then, but for totally different reasons!
Isn't that what forums are all about? Discussing, debating and at time bickering.
Keeps us distracted to an extent from the real world problems.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:14 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Yeah but this thread is kinda getting ruined - I think its turned into Car "politics" and its ruined the enthusiasm for appreciating Macs and what they're bringing to the table. I am not saying we all have to agree etc., but the tone just went in a wrong direction. I'd prefer to hear from Mac owners and what they like, dont like, etc. My sense is they don't want to be here too much longer (most have left) to get abused by the Porsche "fan boys". Isn't half the fun of owning a car, sharing experiences with others. i don't necessarily want to hear about Macs from people that dont have one or havent had a lot of seat time in one.
The following 3 users liked this post by rodsky:
AlexCeres (05-31-2020), PierreTT (05-29-2020), thebishman (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 10:28 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Yeah but this thread is kinda getting ruined - I think its turned into Car "politics" and its ruined the enthusiasm for appreciating Macs and what they're bringing to the table. I am not saying we all have to agree etc., but the tone just went in a wrong direction. I'd prefer to hear from Mac owners and what they like, dont like, etc. My sense is they don't want to be here too much longer (most have left) to get abused by the Porsche "fan boys". Isn't half the fun of owning a car, sharing experiences with others. i don't necessarily want to hear about Macs from people that dont have one or havent had a lot of seat time in one.
You’re spot on many owners here have 2 to 20 cars, and they do cross all brands. This thread evolved into the benefits of both brands. I’ve personally learned about various experiences here, and will always be a Porsche die hard but will always try new things. There’s a lot of great people here that don’t have tunnel vision to other brands, but hell its clearly reflective of society as many are only open to their window view in life. Sad, but life is about experience and this is from a guy who will always have a GT car in the garage, but I will always have a wild exotic because Porsche doesn’t sell one. I do like to chat with many here. Let’s stop the foolishness were better than that! What’s funny some will eat their own brand of choice as the R vs Touring is worse than this thread go figure that!
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
rodsky (05-29-2020), thebishman (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 10:45 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

What I cannot understand is why anyone would fight over any inanimate object, car or otherwise, it's only a thing. The world is in the midst of crisis, America has other issues of its own. Perhaps it's time to stop arguing about unimportant things and focus upon helping to solve issues of real import.
neoprufrok (06-03-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by CAlexio:
928cs (05-29-2020), Guest89 (05-28-2020), kart driver (05-29-2020), tgibrit (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:31 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,031 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
You’re spot on many owners here have 2 to 20 cars, and they do cross all brands. This thread evolved into the benefits of both brands. I’ve personally learned about various experiences here, and will always be a Porsche die hard but will always try new things. There’s a lot of great people here that don’t have tunnel vision to other brands, but hell its clearly reflective of society as many are only open to their window view in life. Sad, but life is about experience and this is from a guy who will always have a GT car in the garage, but I will always have a wild exotic because Porsche doesn’t sell one. I do like to chat with many here. Let’s stop the foolishness were better than that! What’s funny some will eat their own brand of choice as the R vs Touring is worse than this thread go figure that!
Very true - however, it appears the world turns upside down if you like/own something else - in my case I'm limited to 4 cars due to a combination of insurance and where I live. I have gone through the registration of interest process for the 765LT - largely driven by what I have seen with respect to the 600LT and 675LT and the fact that I have had a good ownership experience with my 720S (and the fact its a missile). So, all being well, I'll end up with two "super cars" a 991.2 GT3 RS and a 981 GTS. I was looking at a Spyder in the interim but that fell over as the delivery date was likely well into the future.

I think there are number factors that seem to fuel these debates (1) it is a Porsche forum (2) many Porsche owners seem to feel the GT3 is some sort of top dog car (3) others who have broader ownership experience see something like a GT3 as a well made car that punches above its weight in many respects but isn't particularly special (4) many of us buy top end - high end cars for different reasons e.g. design, looks, engineering Vs performance and (5) some of us aren't wedded to Porsche (6) and finally money unequivocally is part of the angst hence the abysmal depreciation and value threads.

So from my perspective my GT3 RS is my competition car (it was bought for the sole purpose) and my Mclaren is my performance meets art and design car. The 981 GTS has stayed with me because of its simple all round goodness and the car making way for a possible 765 is a SP3T like WRX STI with Cosworth high compression long block (this will be moved to secure long term storage). Both the RS and STI are log book cars (e.g. race records, safety and scruit records and driver hours - all signed off by various officials and engineers where required).

The R Vs GT3T debate is interesting to watch - I'd take the R every time as it perfectly suits its brief and is very typical of one of the facets I respect about Porsche - attention to detail, the RS is like the R a car that shines through attention to detail. In contrast the GT3 is trying to balance too many end members and becomes a classic case of jack of all traders but master of none. I'm not saying its a bad car, but rather pointing out the obvious that it doesn't have the attention to detail and focus that the R and RS have which allow them to shine in very different ways.

Last edited by groundhog; 05-29-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Maverick787 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:11 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

yes we are biased...that said im on a 2 plus year love affair with the RS

Old 05-29-2020, 03:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655

jono, it's bc
1. they don't eat great food liek we do
2. they don't have time to go ride bike in beautiful places we did

I like Mac
but English and finance... they don't mix.. literally all English car company have financial issues.
vtgt (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:09 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
What I cannot understand is why anyone would fight over any inanimate object, car or otherwise, it's only a thing. The world is in the midst of crisis, America has other issues of its own. Perhaps it's time to stop arguing about unimportant things and focus upon helping to solve issues of real import.
That is precisely why people jump o these forums. Its a brief escape from the realities we live in today. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Nothing is wrong with that other than if it gets too serious and/or virulent. And, btw, such arguments were happening before COVID-19.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:31 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Nothing is wrong with that other than if it gets too serious and/or virulent. And, btw, such arguments were happening before COVID-19.
The thread is just fine. The only thing making it “serious” are a few Mac owners getting their panties twisted in a bunch about valid concerns regarding Mac reliability and depreciation which are already well known and not first invented here. I for one am enjoying and learning from both sides of the argument.

On a related note, a pristine 2013 12C Spider with 1300 miles just sold on BaT for $108k + $5k BaT fee. Msrp: $331k.
Napoli (05-29-2020)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success