Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 06:59 PM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
I almost pulled the trigger on the 600LT but the rear view mirror of that car shoke like crazy, even when the car was just idling and the SA told me all the 600LT are like that. What's your ownership experience?
I will say this, my 675 seems to have a low idle. Did you get the car up to speed and still have the issue? If it’s only an idle shake of the mirror does it really matter?
Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim50
I have been following this thread since I ordered my 600LT. It arrived last year on this day and I also purchased at 2018 GT3 991.2 last summer as a car to track instead of a 991.1 4S. I wanted to give some first hand experience regarding ownership and tracking of both of these cars - facts, not speculation. After about 10 track days with the GT3 I decided I needed to track the 600LT. They are both great cars for the track - they are purpose built for that purpose. Too bad most never see a race track. I love the sound of the GT3 revving to 9000 rpms. The 600LT doesn't rev as high, but the power and torque is amazing. I think the 600LT is more stable at higher speeds and especially when braking from 165 mph to 45 on the back straight. All in all, the 600LT is more fun to drive on the street or on the track for a bunch of reasons. But it should, as it cost almost twice as much as the GT3.

Track days have been primarily at VIR, but a few other tracks also get mixed in occasionally. I now have 8 track days at VIR this year in the 600LT. I was at VIR two days ago and had a very special experience with the car I wanted to share. By chance Randy Pobst was next to my trailer on the paddock and I ask him if he would have an interest in driving my 600LT. If you haven't heard of Randy Pobst, he has 91 pro wins and holds the track record in a variety of cars at many tracks. He said sure and he drove and I rode for 4 amazing laps. My car is stock other than conversion to the Girodisc steel rotors and pads and now running Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires, which are a little wider in the front. He was very complimentary of the car. He has driven McLarens before, including the 675LT, but noted that my car seemed to be much better around the track. He thought the car was very smooth and had incredible grip. Riding with him, I could tell when he was surprised at what the car would do. He ran a 1:59 on the first lap in the car and said he thought it was a 1:53-1:54 car if he had a little more time in it. These are extremely fast lap times for this track, and are within a few seconds of pro drivers in full race cars. See SCCA fastest times by class https://ncrscca.com/wp/wp-content/up...cords-1019.pdf There was a race team there practicing with GT4 Clubsport cars that race in IMSA and they said they do around 1:57, with maybe 1:54 in qualifying. A track friend of mine with a GT2RS had Randy Pobst drive his car with comparable times. He spent $450k on that car, $175K more than my 600LT. If you are interested in high performance value, there is no better value $ for $ IMHO than McLaren, especially the 675LT at where its prices are today.

My McLaren ownership has been very enjoyable. I have a local shop (Hbi Automotive) that does free track inspections and they do all of the pre and post track inspections recommended by McLaren. In the owners manual they are "recommended", but dealers say you run the risk of losing your warranty coverage, depending on claim. My dealer charges $326.40 each, with no discount if they are doing a post and pre at the same time. You do not have to go to McLaren to do these inspections. We have been told by a McLaren dealer that as long as the inspections are performed with their form and we keep a copy, everything is good. This shop has the McLaren computer and can remote into the McLaren system. There will be more and more independent shops that can work on these cars. Hbi also did my 1 year service for $1210. Dealer wanted $3000. You don't have to go to the dealer for the annual service. Here is a breakdown on my first year service. The list of items that check is extensive. The parts are more expensive, but not difference from other exotics.

I think this is typical for service on an exotic car. Mercedes S63 service was $550. 2nd annual service for GT3 quoted at $2955 by Porsche (this is a major service). Totally unrealistic to think a much more expensive car isn't going to be more expensive to maintain.

With regard to the extended warranty, I think $4000/year for a $250K high performance car that will be covered for track use is a bargain. I extended the warranty on my 2009 S63 Mercedes a while back and it was $3500 for an additional 2 years on a car worth $60K with half of the msrp of the 600LT. To suggest that $4000 a year is outrageous for an extended warranty on a 4+ year old hand built street legal car built to race and a reason not to buy the car is a little over the top. What would be "fair"? $3000 for the warranty and $1500 for the service? Are you really not buying an exotic car over an extra $1500 per year. Let's be honest. These cars are not for everyone. They are luxury items to the max. And if you take any Porsche or McLaren to the track the costs add up very quickly. Track fees, track insurance, 3rd party inspection fees (required by all PCA event sponsors in my experience), tires, brakes, more frequent oil and brake fluid changes, etc. Parts and labor on McLarens are expensive just like any other limited production exotics. Parts can obviously be made for less when they are made in the 1000s instead of 100s. Porsche sold 3176 991.2 GT3s and 1734 991.2 GT3RSs in the US and Canada. That is more than McLaren's total annual production. Less than 500 600LTs sold in North America, new 620R will only be 349 world-wide. The cars are hand-built limited production cars. Of course they are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain.

Are Porsche GT cars amazing cars? Of course they are. No one would really dispute that. But IMHO after owning both, I think the 600LT is a faster, sleeker, more beautiful and certainly more exclusive car. It makes me smile just sitting in it and starting the engine. And the smile gets bigger as you accelerate though the gears, with the downshift cracks. Riding with Randy Pobst in the car showed me a level of performance that is frankly scary. I've never driven another car like it. I'm sure there are better cars out there, and maybe someday I'll have a chance to drive one. For now I'll just wait for delivery of my 620R this month. And maybe I'll get a 765LT after it depreciates a bit. Those of you who think these cars will continue to depreciate steeply should consider McLaren's current production plans. Keep in mind the factory was closed for almost 2 months. Other than a few 720s that were on order and in production future production for this year will be limited to completing the 620R builds (unknown how many) and building the Elva and 765LT that are already fully allocated. My dealer is trying to source cars from other dealers and the nationwide new car inventory of 600LTs and 720Ss is quickly being bought up. There won't be any more of these cars built. Many of the cars being sold as new by dealers recently are not really new, just never registered. They are McLaren marketing, corporate or Pure McLaren cars that have been used, in some cases quite hard. Those are the cars that people report selling for $50K off sticker and its because McLaren is selling them to the dealers cheap. Admittedly McLaren dumped a lot of cars on the market in 2019 and early 2020. That won't be the case for the next cars in the production plan. They won't need to sell as many because they will be much more expensive and more profitable.

For any of you who are thinking about buying a McLaren, I don't think you will be disappointed moving from a Porsche GT3 or GT3RS. A GT2RS might be a different story.
You are entitled to your view as to the Mac warranty pricing being a bargain. I think a lot of people would disagree and I think this has something to do with their poor resale values. To me $4000 a year for a warranty is ridiculous and the annual requirement for a $2000 "looksie" is over the top. There are likely many who don't have a Mac approved shop around or convenient.

Porsche services are comparatively inexpensive and there is no pre and post track inspection nor an annual inspection required.

I wish Mac approached things different.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:09 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
You are entitled to your view as to the Mac warranty pricing being a bargain. I think a lot of people would disagree and I think this has something to do with their poor resale values. To me $4000 a year for a warranty is ridiculous and the annual requirement for a $2000 "looksie" is over the top. There are likely many who don't have a Mac approved shop around or convenient.

Porsche services are comparatively inexpensive and there is no pre and post track inspection nor an annual inspection required.

I wish Mac approached things different.
‘The warranty price has ever been an issue, knew when I purchased the car. Main residence is ATL we have one MAC dealer and 2 Porsche dealers so location is really a tie. By the way I would never buy a car if service cost being an issue.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:14 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

And here is an article with Randy flogging both cars at Willow Springs. Faster time achieved by him in the RS.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/m...-times-review/
Old 06-05-2020, 07:17 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Wax come on man .....most here don’t even keep cars for 2-3 years. (:
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (06-20-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 07:27 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Wax come on man .....most here don’t even keep cars for 2-3 years. (:
True but since when has that stopped all the argument and bench racing?

; )
Old 06-06-2020, 01:32 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
True but since when has that stopped all the argument and bench racing?

; )
How about when you can't get the Cup2 R tires for the RS - its currently a six month wait in my part of the world and Porsche head office don't have stock either. Makes times set on Cup 2R moot really

Old 06-06-2020, 08:09 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim50
I have been following this thread since I ordered my 600LT. It arrived last year on this day and I also purchased at 2018 GT3 991.2 last summer as a car to track instead of a 991.1 4S. I wanted to give some first hand experience regarding ownership and tracking of both of these cars - facts, not speculation. After about 10 track days with the GT3 I decided I needed to track the 600LT. They are both great cars for the track - they are purpose built for that purpose. Too bad most never see a race track. I love the sound of the GT3 revving to 9000 rpms. The 600LT doesn't rev as high, but the power and torque is amazing. I think the 600LT is more stable at higher speeds and especially when braking from 165 mph to 45 on the back straight. All in all, the 600LT is more fun to drive on the street or on the track for a bunch of reasons. But it should, as it cost almost twice as much as the GT3.

Track days have been primarily at VIR, but a few other tracks also get mixed in occasionally. I now have 8 track days at VIR this year in the 600LT. I was at VIR two days ago and had a very special experience with the car I wanted to share. By chance Randy Pobst was next to my trailer on the paddock and I ask him if he would have an interest in driving my 600LT. If you haven't heard of Randy Pobst, he has 91 pro wins and holds the track record in a variety of cars at many tracks. He said sure and he drove and I rode for 4 amazing laps. My car is stock other than conversion to the Girodisc steel rotors and pads and now running Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires, which are a little wider in the front. He was very complimentary of the car. He has driven McLarens before, including the 675LT, but noted that my car seemed to be much better around the track. He thought the car was very smooth and had incredible grip. Riding with him, I could tell when he was surprised at what the car would do. He ran a 1:59 on the first lap in the car and said he thought it was a 1:53-1:54 car if he had a little more time in it. These are extremely fast lap times for this track, and are within a few seconds of pro drivers in full race cars. See SCCA fastest times by class https://ncrscca.com/wp/wp-content/up...cords-1019.pdf There was a race team there practicing with GT4 Clubsport cars that race in IMSA and they said they do around 1:57, with maybe 1:54 in qualifying. A track friend of mine with a GT2RS had Randy Pobst drive his car with comparable times. He spent $450k on that car, $175K more than my 600LT. If you are interested in high performance value, there is no better value $ for $ IMHO than McLaren, especially the 675LT at where its prices are today.

My McLaren ownership has been very enjoyable. I have a local shop (Hbi Automotive) that does free track inspections and they do all of the pre and post track inspections recommended by McLaren. In the owners manual they are "recommended", but dealers say you run the risk of losing your warranty coverage, depending on claim. My dealer charges $326.40 each, with no discount if they are doing a post and pre at the same time. You do not have to go to McLaren to do these inspections. We have been told by a McLaren dealer that as long as the inspections are performed with their form and we keep a copy, everything is good. This shop has the McLaren computer and can remote into the McLaren system. There will be more and more independent shops that can work on these cars. Hbi also did my 1 year service for $1210. Dealer wanted $3000. You don't have to go to the dealer for the annual service. Here is a breakdown on my first year service. The list of items that check is extensive. The parts are more expensive, but not difference from other exotics.

I think this is typical for service on an exotic car. Mercedes S63 service was $550. 2nd annual service for GT3 quoted at $2955 by Porsche (this is a major service). Totally unrealistic to think a much more expensive car isn't going to be more expensive to maintain.

With regard to the extended warranty, I think $4000/year for a $250K high performance car that will be covered for track use is a bargain. I extended the warranty on my 2009 S63 Mercedes a while back and it was $3500 for an additional 2 years on a car worth $60K with half of the msrp of the 600LT. To suggest that $4000 a year is outrageous for an extended warranty on a 4+ year old hand built street legal car built to race and a reason not to buy the car is a little over the top. What would be "fair"? $3000 for the warranty and $1500 for the service? Are you really not buying an exotic car over an extra $1500 per year. Let's be honest. These cars are not for everyone. They are luxury items to the max. And if you take any Porsche or McLaren to the track the costs add up very quickly. Track fees, track insurance, 3rd party inspection fees (required by all PCA event sponsors in my experience), tires, brakes, more frequent oil and brake fluid changes, etc. Parts and labor on McLarens are expensive just like any other limited production exotics. Parts can obviously be made for less when they are made in the 1000s instead of 100s. Porsche sold 3176 991.2 GT3s and 1734 991.2 GT3RSs in the US and Canada. That is more than McLaren's total annual production. Less than 500 600LTs sold in North America, new 620R will only be 349 world-wide. The cars are hand-built limited production cars. Of course they are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain.

Are Porsche GT cars amazing cars? Of course they are. No one would really dispute that. But IMHO after owning both, I think the 600LT is a faster, sleeker, more beautiful and certainly more exclusive car. It makes me smile just sitting in it and starting the engine. And the smile gets bigger as you accelerate though the gears, with the downshift cracks. Riding with Randy Pobst in the car showed me a level of performance that is frankly scary. I've never driven another car like it. I'm sure there are better cars out there, and maybe someday I'll have a chance to drive one. For now I'll just wait for delivery of my 620R this month. And maybe I'll get a 765LT after it depreciates a bit. Those of you who think these cars will continue to depreciate steeply should consider McLaren's current production plans. Keep in mind the factory was closed for almost 2 months. Other than a few 720s that were on order and in production future production for this year will be limited to completing the 620R builds (unknown how many) and building the Elva and 765LT that are already fully allocated. My dealer is trying to source cars from other dealers and the nationwide new car inventory of 600LTs and 720Ss is quickly being bought up. There won't be any more of these cars built. Many of the cars being sold as new by dealers recently are not really new, just never registered. They are McLaren marketing, corporate or Pure McLaren cars that have been used, in some cases quite hard. Those are the cars that people report selling for $50K off sticker and its because McLaren is selling them to the dealers cheap. Admittedly McLaren dumped a lot of cars on the market in 2019 and early 2020. That won't be the case for the next cars in the production plan. They won't need to sell as many because they will be much more expensive and more profitable.

For any of you who are thinking about buying a McLaren, I don't think you will be disappointed moving from a Porsche GT3 or GT3RS. A GT2RS might be a different story.
Wow the thing that jumps out to me is a $76 drain plug?????
What kind of drain plug is on this car????
Not to mention the gasket and washer cost?
I'm cool with a higher price for items on a car like this, but that just sounds crazy.
I'm surprised they don't upcharge the oil needed for the car.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:25 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts
Default “ McLaren open to sale of F1 team shares to raise finance”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...hares/4808424/

McLaren is considering selling a stake of up to 30% in its Formula 1 team as it seeks to raise extra finance with which to improve its level of competitiveness.The main McLaren Group has been searching for extra funding in recent months having been hit hard by the Covid-19 crisis and resulting staff furlough.

However a source has confirmed that the sale plan, first revealed by Sky News, only involves shares in McLaren Racing, which also encompasses the Indy team as well as F1.

McLaren sees the introduction of the $145m budget cap in 2021 as an opportunity to be on a level playing field with the established top three.

It’s thus regarded as essential to have the funding that will allow the team be in a position to spend to the limit – especially in 2021 when the new generation of cars is being developed – and thus have the best possible chance of climbing the order.

At the moment McLaren Racing has the same shareholders as its parent, so a sale of a stake in the team would involve some form of restructuring.

Around 56% of McLaren Group is owned by Bahrain’s Mumtalakat Holding Company, 14% by Mansour Ojjeh and 10% by Michael Latifi, with the remaining 20% split between minority shareholders.

Latifi has been linked to an investment in Williams, having already agreed a loan with the Grove team, and should that happen it remains to be seen whether there will be any impact on his long term McLaren involvement.

Last month McLaren Group announced plans to cut staffing levels, with the racing team expected to be trimmed by 70.

Regarding its wider search for funding the parent company also noted that it “is currently looking at a number of potential financing alternatives, secured and unsecured, of up to £275m equivalent to strengthen its liquidity position. An update will be provided as soon as reasonably practicable.”
Old 06-20-2020, 12:57 PM
Jim50
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The annual "inspection" you reference is just an annual maintenance requirement. Porsche has annual maintenance requirements as well. Every car does.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:43 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 575 Posts

test drove 600LT this afternoon
have driven 570 S and MP4 before and did not really fall in love
though today the 600 LT was extremely impressive , engine sound , transmission , speed , steering were all very impressive . It has a lot of emotional connection
minor complaints , still the brake feel is not to my liking , but I think people get used to it with time
still have turbo car feel with surge of power , as compared to more linear feel in the newer turbo cars for example my M5C feels more linear
overall , this is a car that I will seriously consider
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:39 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

test drove both the 600lt and 720s a couple weeks back and was impressed with both. 600lt definitely felt sharper and more track oriented while the 720s was just power and felt more comfortable.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:28 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

I’m finding myself driving the 600LT more and the GT3RS less. I love the sound of the GT3RS. It’s just amazing, but it’s the only thing I think is better than the 600LT. I need to get both on track, but right now for the street I find myself gravitating to the 600LT.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:26 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I’m finding myself driving the 600LT more and the GT3RS less. I love the sound of the GT3RS. It’s just amazing, but it’s the only thing I think is better than the 600LT. I need to get both on track, but right now for the street I find myself gravitating to the 600LT.
Will be interesting to see how you feel in a couple months when the newness of the 600LT wears off. Keep us posted!
Old 06-21-2020, 05:38 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Maybe it’s just the car that’s already on the ground gets driven more often.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success