Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 09:49 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
Never has less been said with more words.
Deep.

Heres an interesting thread.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=242&t=1793462

Also Mac was down globally in sales 4% in 2019 it seems.

I am not saying Macs are not good cars. They may be and obviously many love theirs. There are apparently those who were not as happy. As a result of what I’ve read and seen I don’t have the confidence to buy one. Others clearly do. To each his own. Doesn’t mean I can’t still like them.

it does seem that the piston head thread noted above was positive overall which is a good thing.

Last edited by Waxer; 05-29-2020 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
J9277655 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:03 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Thought this was a good article on the 765LT
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...eashed-123145/
Old 05-29-2020, 10:48 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
So your tone is acceptable? Really? LOL. You're just pissed because you can't and no one here can establish Mac's general public perception (I'm talking the car community) as to reliability and build quality, customer service etc is good. Fact is its poor. Sorry. That has nothing to do with me liking or not liking Macs. If you think I'm wrong show me. Just go on YouTube and do a search for Mac reliability.
LOL? Please tell me you're over 18..

I'm not pissed. I have never owned a Mac. I have no horse in this race. I am intrigued and interested in Macs. I drove a 720S for a weekend. I really liked it. More than a 488 GTB. I like what i have now but am interested in Macs. The 675LT and the 600LT are at the top of my interest list. Aren't car guys always reading , listening, interested in other cars. We have car-ADD. There are actual owners here (Wax - psst i dont have to search The youtube for dumb videos) and they can actually tell me what its like to own one. They also have RS's. So they can give some great insight as to why they like the 675 for example and why they like the RS - compare and contrast etc.. That's cool. Do you know what's not cool - some guy sh!tting all over that discourse - for what reason? Beats me.

Here's an idea - What happens if I just give in. I agree with the points you are trying to make. I'll try and guess what they are 1) Macs aren't as reliable as Porsche AND 2) the RS is the best car ever made - bar none. Now that you won and you have made your points and I agree with them/you. Can you enjoy your victory and just move on from these points and your argument. If so, i am willing to admit that you are indeed right and i am indeed wrong for challenging your brilliance on Youtube and the topic of "Mac v Porsche". LOL?

I do like your RS BTW - Guards and Aurum wheels are a nice combination
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
J9277655 (05-30-2020), thebishman (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

So, I hope it’s ok if I talk about what it’s like owning a Mac in this thread. Here goes...

Just got a chance to finally get out and drive the 600LT that I recently bought, now that I finally got some temp tags on it, and what an absolute riot!

It’s fast. Really fast. Mine is tuned with the Novitech stage 2 and their exhaust. Supposedly it’s making 680HP, I think? Don’t really care all that much, all I know is it’s really fast and really fun to drive.

With the exhaust and tune it makes loud cracks and throws flames out the exhaust that you can see flash from the rear view mirror. Lol, holy **** is it awesome!

The roof scoop looks awesome and sounds like Darth Vader when you’re driving. Also awesome.

As far as public perception, it garners WAY more attention than the GT3RS. I stopped over at my brother’s house and all the neighborhood kids ran over to check it out, along with a couple dads. They knew what it was and some of the kids did too, and were clearly car enthusiasts. All of them loved it and were fawning over the car. The GT3RS just doesn’t get that kind of reaction.

As far as personal impressions, I’m standing by my previous comments that the GT3RS has slightly better steering feel and handling, and it sounds better, but definitely not as fast in a straight line. I’ll need to track both before I can comment on cornering speeds and lap times. Although, honestly, don’t care about lap times between two different cars. I only care about having fun on track and if that means improving my own lap time, that’s all that matters to me.

I love both cars though and think they compliment each other well. I love the exotic look of the Mac, but also love the classic lines of the RS too.

I’ll have to own the 600LT longer before I can make any comments on reliability, but so far so good and my RS has been stellar.
The following 2 users liked this post by AllAboutThatP:
rodsky (05-30-2020), thebishman (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:18 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodsky
LOL? Please tell me you're over 18..

I'm not pissed. I have never owned a Mac. I have no horse in this race. I am intrigued and interested in Macs. I drove a 720S for a weekend. I really liked it. More than a 488 GTB. I like what i have now but am interested in Macs. The 675LT and the 600LT are at the top of my interest list. Aren't car guys always reading , listening, interested in other cars. We have car-ADD. There are actual owners here (Wax - psst i dont have to search The youtube for dumb videos) and they can actually tell me what its like to own one. They also have RS's. So they can give some great insight as to why they like the 675 for example and why they like the RS - compare and contrast etc.. That's cool. Do you know what's not cool - some guy sh!tting all over that discourse - for what reason? Beats me.

Here's an idea - What happens if I just give in. I agree with the points you are trying to make. I'll try and guess what they are 1) Macs aren't as reliable as Porsche AND 2) the RS is the best car ever made - bar none. Now that you won and you have made your points and I agree with them/you. Can you enjoy your victory and just move on from these points and your argument. If so, i am willing to admit that you are indeed right and i am indeed wrong for challenging your brilliance on Youtube and the topic of "Mac v Porsche". LOL?

I do like your RS BTW - Guards and Aurum wheels are a nice combination
Am I over 18? Mentally or physically? Lol.

Guess what? I’m intrigued and interested in Macs too. Almost bought one last summer. I swear. All day at the dealer.

Seems like reliability overall has improved with the 650 forward. Dealer network needs to improve and I have to have confidence in warranty coverage for me to pull the trigger. Extended warranty costs have to be more reasonable. They have to shore up resale value which is a big concern.

Always checking prices on the 600LT though. It’s an awesome bit of kit but I have lingering concerns.

There, I let you win one too. 😎

Curious, you are selling the Perf which I love but considering a Mac. Why? Aren’t they very similar except one is turbo?

What if any concerns do you have buying a Mac? Curious.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:33 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
So, I hope it’s ok if I talk about what it’s like owning a Mac in this thread. Here goes...

Just got a chance to finally get out and drive the 600LT that I recently bought, now that I finally got some temp tags on it, and what an absolute riot!

It’s fast. Really fast. Mine is tuned with the Novitech stage 2 and their exhaust. Supposedly it’s making 680HP, I think? Don’t really care all that much, all I know is it’s really fast and really fun to drive.

With the exhaust and tune it makes loud cracks and throws flames out the exhaust that you can see flash from the rear view mirror. Lol, holy **** is it awesome!

The roof scoop looks awesome and sounds like Darth Vader when you’re driving. Also awesome.

As far as public perception, it garners WAY more attention than the GT3RS. I stopped over at my brother’s house and all the neighborhood kids ran over to check it out, along with a couple dads. They knew what it was and some of the kids did too, and were clearly car enthusiasts. All of them loved it and were fawning over the car. The GT3RS just doesn’t get that kind of reaction.

As far as personal impressions, I’m standing by my previous comments that the GT3RS has slightly better steering feel and handling, and it sounds better, but definitely not as fast in a straight line. I’ll need to track both before I can comment on cornering speeds and lap times. Although, honestly, don’t care about lap times between two different cars. I only care about having fun on track and if that means improving my own lap time, that’s all that matters to me.

I love both cars though and think they compliment each other well. I love the exotic look of the Mac, but also love the classic lines of the RS too.

I’ll have to own the 600LT longer before I can make any comments on reliability, but so far so good and my RS has been stellar.
Not helpful. Now I want one even more. 😣
Old 05-30-2020, 12:52 AM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

Does the 600LT have hydraulic steering assist or is it electric now? I ask because while the amount of grip is probably greater in the RS, the steering feel in the 675 is significantly more raw and communicative. It's the biggest adjustment i have to make when i jump from one car to the other.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Excellent! I suspect the 600LT will be quicker than the GT3 RS unless the RS is on Cup2 R - also I have found it very difficult to get Cup 2R, and when you do get them, you fry them in 3 sessions if you're on the juice.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:22 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Does the 600LT have hydraulic steering assist or is it electric now? I ask because while the amount of grip is probably greater in the RS, the steering feel in the 675 is significantly more raw and communicative. It's the biggest adjustment i have to make when i jump from one car to the other.
Still hydraulic.

RE there other commentary in this thread: I've got about 3k miles on mine, and TBH, when it comes to fun...theres no modern Porsche that comes CLOSE to being as much fun anymore. The LT ruined GT cars for me...Porsche made them (new GT cars) super capable, but super clinical...the Macca is a riot, literally EVERY time I drive it in comparison. Been around the block long enough to know when a car still excites me 2 years after ownership on EVERY drive...thats an accomplishment. Oh, and Im still, without a doubt one of the biggest Porsche fanboys out there! No problem with really enjoying a product for a certain purpose from another company. As far as values, those 230k WP GT3 RS' are trading 30-40k under with just a few miles...the 600 LT definitely lost more, but percentage wise, its not that big of a deal more at all...and most of us are happy to pay extra for the extra amount of "HOLY F-ING CRAP" the LT's seem to provide...oh, and neither my former 650S with 17k miles or my current 600LT have ever thrown any strange engine lights
The following 3 users liked this post by sechsgang:
Gary(SF) (05-30-2020), neoprufrok (06-03-2020), thebishman (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 11:27 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Still hydraulic.

RE there other commentary in this thread: I've got about 3k miles on mine, and TBH, when it comes to fun...theres no modern Porsche that comes CLOSE to being as much fun anymore. The LT ruined GT cars for me...Porsche made them (new GT cars) super capable, but super clinical...the Macca is a riot, literally EVERY time I drive it in comparison. Been around the block long enough to know when a car still excites me 2 years after ownership on EVERY drive...thats an accomplishment. Oh, and Im still, without a doubt one of the biggest Porsche fanboys out there! No problem with really enjoying a product for a certain purpose from another company. As far as values, those 230k WP GT3 RS' are trading 30-40k under with just a few miles...the 600 LT definitely lost more, but percentage wise, its not that big of a deal more at all...and most of us are happy to pay extra for the extra amount of "HOLY F-ING CRAP" the LT's seem to provide...oh, and neither my former 650S with 17k miles or my current 600LT have ever thrown any strange engine lights
Thanks owners for sharing your perspectives and getting this thread back on track. Love hearing real world experiences of the 600LT. And from Porsche owners too. Verdict is that the 600 LT is super fun. Hmmm 😀
The following users liked this post:
vtgt (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 02:52 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I have not met one person who disliked their 600LT. Nothing but praise and awe. I must say though having put a good number of miles on my 675, when I test drove the 600 I wasn't floored by it. I actually wasn't impressed. This bothered me for quite a while as again everyone I've EVER spoken to raved about it. I've put a lot of thought into this and came up with a few reasons why this may have been....

1. It was a very limited/reserved drive with the salesman where I couldn't fully appreciate what the car had. (Very probable)

2. Was only able to floor it a couple of times to feel it's acceleration but never really got to experience its handling. The +\- 66hp and difference in torque between the two cars was noticeable to me right away. Maybe I ruined it for myself by owning a 675 and the "step down" was just that noticeable to me. (Good reason as well)

Maybe I'm getting old and just don't know what the hell Im talking about?? (Most likely reason).
Old 05-30-2020, 02:59 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

Here’s a great video from the guy that runs the Apex Nurburgring Taxi program. They have over 1000 laps on the 675 and have other Mac products, but also run a full GT2RS Manthey Racing, pista, etc.

i think what he says is spot on. The business is broken, but the cars are incredible experiences.

The following 3 users liked this post by J9277655:
AlexCeres (05-31-2020), amerifrikaner (06-12-2020), vtgt (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 03:10 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
I have not met one person who disliked their 600LT. Nothing but praise and awe. I must say though having put a good number of miles on my 675, when I test drove the 600 I wasn't floored by it. I actually wasn't impressed. This bothered me for quite a while as again everyone I've EVER spoken to raved about it. I've put a lot of thought into this and came up with a few reasons why this may have been....

1. It was a very limited/reserved drive with the salesman where I couldn't fully appreciate what the car had. (Very probable)

2. Was only able to floor it a couple of times to feel it's acceleration but never really got to experience its handling. The +\- 66hp and difference in torque between the two cars was noticeable to me right away. Maybe I ruined it for myself by owning a 675 and the "step down" was just that noticeable to me. (Good reason as well)

Maybe I'm getting old and just don't know what the hell Im talking about?? (Most likely reason).
I would really love to test drive a 675LT to compare to my 600LT. Since mine is tuned and supposedly has 680HP, it might be a lot closer to a stock 675.

I think the thing that seems most special to me about the 600LT is the exhaust placement and being able to see flames shoot out of it from the rear view mirror. It just makes me laugh every time.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:11 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Here’s a great video from the guy that runs the Apex Nurburgring Taxi program. They have over 1000 laps on the 675 and have other Mac products, but also run a full GT2RS Manthey Racing, pista, etc.

i think what he says is spot on. The business is broken, but the cars are incredible experiences.

https://youtu.be/xikEXHL6l4w
Good video. I agree with his points. They need to shore resale value up. Offering extended warranties at more reasonable prices would also help. Maybe even opening service centers to make service more convenient.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:29 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Good video. I agree with his points. They need to shore resale value up. Offering extended warranties at more reasonable prices would also help. Maybe even opening service centers to make service more convenient.
Hey, speak for yourself. 600 & 675 prices are falling just fine.

Eventually depreciation will slow down and stabilize at a level where even the expensive warranties or repairs make sense. That level is certainly not zero.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success