Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 12:45 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
This is all getting silly. Does anyone know how hard it is to build a succesful car Company making 250K+ cars that are reliable, perform amazingly etc. Ferrari didnt really do that until arguably the 458 and that was 50+ years into their history. Lambo's were crap until recently. Mac is in their 10 year range (the 12C was really the start of the journey) and is putting out amazing cars. To the point where people are picking them over Ferrari and Porsche and Lamborghini (see 600LT, 675LT, 720S, and soon to be 765LT). And they are now dealing with the worst economy since 1929. Arm chair quarterbacks on Rennlist telling them what race series to be in etc. Saying they arent doing well etc. They were doing fine until March of this year and now they arent.. They have probably had some reliability issues but on whole pretty good for 10 years. I dont understand why people feel they have to knock them and say their customer service is bad. Actually mostly non-owners that are doing that. Which is amazing when you think about it. People who have never been customers knocking their customer service. Isnt the internet amazing. Most customers (some on here) argue the other way. i know who i'd listen to. A customer vs a non-customer.

Porsche is an amazing sports car manufacturer. Arguably the best. They have been at it for 60+years. But not without their blemishes. They didnt just jump in and back the .1 GT3 engines. it took a lot of 3rd party actions to get them to do so (see Robmypro and his actions). Remember IMS/RMS and so forth. So lets appreciate the marques for what they both bring to the table.
Thank you... The tone of this thread is being set by only a handful of individuals (some may own a Mac but others certainly do not). The fact is that as an owner myself I have had no significant issues with any of my previous 3 macs. None that would stand above any of the issues I've had with my previous Porsches. In fact I have a handful of friends who own macs who would would report the same. Like most exotic car owners though, they don't have the time to verbalize their praise for their cars here.

Bottom line is satisfied enthusiasts enjoy and complainers complain.
The following users liked this post:
neoprufrok (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Apparently 1,200 jobs represented 25% of the workforce

Old 05-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Guys this just the start of this mess, and capital markets are drying up as many company’s looking for liquidity. Hell Boeing just borrowed 25B, and cutting staff/engineers. This is much bigger than a MAC problem ...look at Nissan below.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-pandemic.html
AlexCeres (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 07:32 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

The feeling that I have is that once we are out of this Covid-19 crisis and the economy is showing constant growth again for certain period of time I would have to buy a preonwed Mac.

The 600LT made such a great impression on me after the testdrive last year that I can’t stop thinking of it.

Those are offered now in Germany for 200K euro ($220K) already for a 1 year old car with 6000 miles or so.
If I am to be aiming at 600LT I would rather wait until those have the major depreciation hit. So I presume the car should be 2 years old and might be in the range of 160K euro ($175K) by that time.

Otherwise if not looking specifically at LT and go with a modest option, then the current prices for 570S being offered for 130K euro ($140K) for a 2 year old car is such a great deal that I can hardly see any alternative to it.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:52 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
The feeling that I have is that once we are out of this Covid-19 crisis and the economy is showing constant growth again for certain period of time I would have to buy a preonwed Mac.
You and me both A gently used Mac at a decent discount would be a great addition to my GT3. There really is no competition at their market price right now. I was *THIS* close to trading my GT3 for a 570s exactly a year ago, but I'm realizing adding is the only way for me.

I dunno why everyone's getting their azz hairs in a knot over car companies and their perceptions. Buy what you like and drive the hell out of them. No one can make that decision for you except for yourself. Opinions based on personal ownership experience is what I look for in threads like this and I thank everyone for their non-biased opinions with their Macs!

I hope everyone is staying safe through these times.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:03 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
You and me both A gently used Mac at a decent discount would be a great addition to my GT3. There really is no competition at their market price right now. I was *THIS* close to trading my GT3 for a 570s exactly a year ago, but I'm realizing adding is the only way for me.

I dunno why everyone's getting their azz hairs in a knot over car companies and their perceptions. Buy what you like and drive the hell out of them. No one can make that decision for you except for yourself. Opinions based on personal ownership experience is what I look for in threads like this and I thank everyone for their non-biased opinions with their Macs!

I hope everyone is staying safe through these times.

Fully in agreement.
Mac should be IN ADDITION not INSTEAD.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
Thank you... The tone of this thread is being set by only a handful of individuals (some may own a Mac but others certainly do not). The fact is that as an owner myself I have had no significant issues with any of my previous 3 macs. None that would stand above any of the issues I've had with my previous Porsches. In fact I have a handful of friends who own macs who would would report the same. Like most exotic car owners though, they don't have the time to verbalize their praise for their cars here.

Bottom line is satisfied enthusiasts enjoy and complainers complain.
The tone of this thread is fine. The issue is some get pissed at the messenger pointing out the truth which hurts. Public perception of Macs is not good.

Even Dealers have pointed to continued quality issues.

Facts don’t care about emotions.

If some wish to lay out the argument that the overall perception of Mac is great or even good I’m all ears. I think it’s a tough roe to hough but make your argument. Maybe I’ll be convinced.

And I do not doubt many there are many Mac owners that love their cars. Hell, I like them. Unfortunately, the complainers whether in the majority or minority of owners won the day and poisoned the punch bowl.

Only Mac can change that.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

On a related issue, with McLaren laying off 1200 people, which suggests the workforce was previously bloated, I'm surprised that senior management is still employed. Aston, on the other hand, facing similar issues, has terminated Mr. Palmer, it's CEO.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

The people on here who make assumptions with regards to Mac ownership and reliability Who don’t own one or never have are of the same value of the the current crowd talking about treatments/vaccines for Covid-19 who have never treated a patient and no understanding of clinical data.

It’s getting absurd.
zim32 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Indeed, as one looks back at the termination of Martin Whitmarsh of the F1 Team and Antony Sheriff of McLaren Automotive, and the millions of pounds that they were reportedly paid to leave, one wonders what they knew.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:16 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
On a related issue, with McLaren laying off 1200 people, which suggests the workforce was previously bloated, I'm surprised that senior management is still employed. Aston, on the other hand, facing similar issues, has terminated Mr. Palmer, it's CEO.
McLaren delivered ~4,800 cars in 2019; simplistically, a workforce reduction of 25% would represent a corresponding ~25% decline in volume (notwithstanding that 70 of the eliminated jobs are in F1).

Do you think that Palmer’s fate was sealed when the Yew Tree consortium made its initial capital injection? Or only more recently?
Old 05-26-2020, 10:25 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
The tone of this thread is fine. The issue is some get pissed at the messenger pointing out the truth which hurts. Public perception of Macs is not good.

If some wish to lay out the argument that the overall perception of Mac is great or even good I’m all ears. I think it’s a tough roe to hough but make your argument. Maybe I’ll be convinced.

And I do not doubt many there are many Mac owners that love their cars. Hell, I like them. Unfortunately, the complainers whether in the majority or minority of owners won the day and poisoned the punch bowl.

waxer - curious which mac you own or have owned?

Last edited by FLGT; 05-26-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Yes Waxer, public perception of Mclaren is not good as exemplified by sales being up 43.9% YOY in 2018... That's the only fact that matters.

No need to change anything. Carry on and those that can survive this recession will be even stronger on the other side.

If you don't like depreciation, buy a house instead of a car

If you don't like paying for extended warranty, buy a VW

The only thing that never breaks is night. (Some will get it, many won't).
Old 05-26-2020, 11:18 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
So was United or American Airlines bloated in February or Ruth's Chris or pick any Company that suddenly sees a drop of 20% to 90% of their revenues. Why would we assume management is a problem - in all cases?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
waxer - curious which mac you own or have owned?
None - he just stayed at a Holiday Inn Select last night

Quick Reply: McLaren Success