McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 01:33 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

My 2 keepers............

The following 3 users liked this post by Maverick787:
007DT (06-01-2020), mjj (05-31-2020), thebishman (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 02:31 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,031 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Not sure on details but wish Mac offered something like that. It would be a game changer imho.
They do offer extended warranty out to 12 years (at least down under) - I think they do the same in the US. Also you can pick it up anytime in blocks of 1 or 2 years ~ 4k pa (down under).
Old 05-31-2020, 06:36 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I mean if you think about it all the Macs are very limited in production. A few adjustments to their business plan would make all the difference imho. It seems the issues today aren’t really with the cars but with the board which impact the car.

Maybe Mac owners ought to organize a concerned owners group like Porsche owners did and voice their opinions and what they would like to see? What ’is Mac going to say “we don’t care about what you have to say or just pay it lip service? I think Mac owners which include continuing Mac owners of new models have a stake and should be heard . You have a vote. With your wallet. I’d let them know that. Mho.

Then again what do I know I’m just an annoying Porsche fan boy.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:32 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^^^^thats a good idea, better to be proactive than reactive It would be really interesting to see a full shareholder register

Mumtalakat Holding Company 56.4%, TAG Group Limited (Mansour Ojjeh) 14.32%, Nidala (BVI) Limited (Michael Latifi) 9.84%, Favorita Limited 5.78%, Perlman Investments Limited 5.77%, McKal Holdings Ltd 5.24%, Acanitt Limited 2.65%.

This was the register at the end of 2018 - capital raising post this will have altered the structure. The capital structure is part of the problem and its likely the Board and Exco are apparatchiks. A simple solution would be to go public.

The market cap of the company is or was ~ 2 billion pounds (at the time Latifi bought in) - so small fry.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^^^^thats a good idea, better to be proactive than reactive It would be really interesting to see a full shareholder register

Mumtalakat Holding Company 56.4%, TAG Group Limited (Mansour Ojjeh) 14.32%, Nidala (BVI) Limited (Michael Latifi) 9.84%, Favorita Limited 5.78%, Perlman Investments Limited 5.77%, McKal Holdings Ltd 5.24%, Acanitt Limited 2.65%.

This was the register at the end of 2018 - capital raising post this will have altered the structure. The capital structure is part of the problem and its likely the Board and Exco are apparatchiks. A simple solution would be to go public.

The market cap of the company is or was ~ 2 billion pounds (at the time Latifi bought in) - so small fry.
Hmmm. Automotive sales and the profits therefrom are responsible for the bulk of their revenue. Correct? Where do owners fit into those %s? Where would they be without you? 😬
Old 05-31-2020, 06:24 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
Here’s a great video from the guy that runs the Apex Nurburgring Taxi program. They have over 1000 laps on the 675 and have other Mac products, but also run a full GT2RS Manthey Racing, pista, etc.
i think what he says is spot on. The business is broken, but the cars are incredible experiences.
I just posted a similar article on Aston Martin, Ferrari, and McLarens businesses post the release of their Q 1 2020 results: https://karenable.com

Unless you are Ferrari, its not very pretty.....
The following 2 users liked this post by SSO:
AlexCeres (05-31-2020), rodsky (06-02-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:28 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

spent an hour of friday afternoon driving the SOs 570 Spider around the nearby hills.
car has about 4200 miles on it now, of which i've probably only done a few hundred so can't claim a lot of seat time.
that said, the car impresses me more and more each time i drive it -- and this is the "lowliest" McLaren!

sitting in the car, it feels like you are in a much more bespoke and special place than my 997.2 GT3 (which i've put ~30k miles on)
i really like the dash display layout you get when you put the drivetrain into track mode. the upshifts and downshifts sound great too.
this car does have the optional MSO titanium sports exhaust so i'm sure that's helping with the sound.

the acceleration, suspension feel and even steering are all impressive. the suspension is amazingly good at feeling supple yet flat.
love the way it carves up the twisties and sprints from one corner to the next. turbo lag isn't an issue if you keep the revs up.
i had an Evo 8 before and it was the same with that car -- just keep in the power band and drop a gear when you need to.

only complaints i can think of are the A-pillar sometimes seems to block my view more than i notice in my GT3 and i don't get to drive it often enough.
i still love my GT3 and i don't see us adding any cars to the fleet anytime soon, but a used 600LT would be on my short list (along with 997.2 GT3 RS).
Old 05-31-2020, 11:12 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Waxer
Hmmm. Automotive sales and the profits therefrom are responsible for the bulk of their revenue. Correct? Where do owners fit into those %s? Where would they be without you? 😬
If you want to change a Company and or its behaviour - you start speaking to the top shareholders. You could also speak to the holders of its debt. You need to get to the people that are capable of making things happen.

"Turnover for the year ended 31 December 2019 stands at £1,486.1m, an increase of 18.2% over the £1,257.0m achieved in the comparative year. In addition, the Group reported an Operating profit of £24.9m in 2019 versus an Operating loss of £3.9m in 2018. Overall losses for the Group before tax are significantly lower, with a loss of just £28.0m reported in 2019 versus the £67.6m loss reported in the prior year."

In 2019 Automotive accounted for 84% of revenue which in total for that period was 1,486m pounds stirling. Quarter 1 2019 they sold ~ 953 cars and in Q1 2020 307 cars - so big hit to revenue as expected - its going to be a tough year for them.

If someone wanted to deal Mclaren its a really simple step - you go to the Sovereign Wealth Fund of Bahrain and offer to buy their share.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:45 AM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I gotta say, I have been following this thread for a long time, and have enjoyed the reviews. What I love about Rennlist is there are people here that have a lot more money than I will ever have. I like what mooty says, a million dollars is a rounding error for them. Or, they just look at cars differently and don't care what the loss is, and they change cars monthly. Maybe Im just too poor and worry about value too much. Either way, love the different perspectives, and honestly without this board I would not have been able to make the car moves I have in the last few years without the endless discussion and research surrounding cars. Right now, the GT3RS Is my favorite car I have owned, and I have a feeling I will be back someday. However, I want to check some boxes and see what Ferrari (488 Pista), McLaren (675LT) and Lambo (SVJ) offer. Would love to have them all, but my finances allow for one of those vehicles at any one time.

For me, I am very interested in the 675LT right now. I am currently negotiating the purchase of one as we speak. It's amazing how much almost every McLaren dealer that was sitting on a 675LT for 6 months + doesn't even really want to negotiate, or they offer really silly discounts like 2% off ask. The one dealer I am working with is attempting to be aggressive, and if they can throw in 2 years of CPO, we may have a deal. They were the only ones wiling to talk, with the rest giving me a long speech about the 675LT is rare, is a great investment, is aggressively priced despite sitting for almost a year, etc...

I have to say, all the comments of McLaren and how they may not be around in the somewhat near future, quality issues, and massive depreciation are all making me very nervous as I am close to sealing the deal. What is worse, I can't get over how much the 675LT continues to depreciate. Why? I think I know why, but it doesn't matter. For what the car offers on looks, surface, performance, it keeps going down noticeably. I heard my friend got a trade offer of 165k for his 675LT with about 4000 or so miles. This shows the retail offerings for these cars is already a pretty good delta, and if one decides to enjoy the car and actually get out and drive...I don't know what the hell will happen. I have been told wholesale is 180, and they don't go through manheim often, but a friend of mine is checking on that.

Anyway, I wish I could throw caution into the wind with money and these cars, but I tend to watch very closely and attempt to lose the least amount of money possible. Maybe it's the stock guy in me, which is the only reason I can even get these cars since my day job would never allow me to even look at them. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. In the end, I'd be a liar if I didn't say the "drama" surrounding what many people say about McLaren is holding me back.

The perspectives have been much appreciated here and on McLaren life. It's great to hear perspectives from many people who have owned multiple makes/models in here. I'm biased towards Porsche and likely would pick a GT3RS at the track over any vehicles, but I have not had a Lambo or some of the other brands, so I feel like I am doing myself a disservice by not trying them. Some of you in here are very good at pointing out pros/cons of different makes here in an objective way, and I just want to say, many thanks...
The following 6 users liked this post by theunitedstates:
AlexCeres (06-02-2020), bccars (06-10-2020), Maverick787 (06-02-2020), mjj (06-02-2020), robmypro (06-02-2020), thebishman (06-02-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:05 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Good luck with your choice, and you can’t go wrong with any of those/get what makes you smile I always say.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
AlexCeres (06-02-2020), robmypro (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by theunitedstates
I gotta say, I have been following this thread for a long time, and have enjoyed the reviews. What I love about Rennlist is there are people here that have a lot more money than I will ever have. I like what mooty says, a million dollars is a rounding error for them. Or, they just look at cars differently and don't care what the loss is, and they change cars monthly. Maybe Im just too poor and worry about value too much. Either way, love the different perspectives, and honestly without this board I would not have been able to make the car moves I have in the last few years without the endless discussion and research surrounding cars. Right now, the GT3RS Is my favorite car I have owned, and I have a feeling I will be back someday. However, I want to check some boxes and see what Ferrari (488 Pista), McLaren (675LT) and Lambo (SVJ) offer. Would love to have them all, but my finances allow for one of those vehicles at any one time.

For me, I am very interested in the 675LT right now. I am currently negotiating the purchase of one as we speak. It's amazing how much almost every McLaren dealer that was sitting on a 675LT for 6 months + doesn't even really want to negotiate, or they offer really silly discounts like 2% off ask. The one dealer I am working with is attempting to be aggressive, and if they can throw in 2 years of CPO, we may have a deal. They were the only ones wiling to talk, with the rest giving me a long speech about the 675LT is rare, is a great investment, is aggressively priced despite sitting for almost a year, etc...

I have to say, all the comments of McLaren and how they may not be around in the somewhat near future, quality issues, and massive depreciation are all making me very nervous as I am close to sealing the deal. What is worse, I can't get over how much the 675LT continues to depreciate. Why? I think I know why, but it doesn't matter. For what the car offers on looks, surface, performance, it keeps going down noticeably. I heard my friend got a trade offer of 165k for his 675LT with about 4000 or so miles. This shows the retail offerings for these cars is already a pretty good delta, and if one decides to enjoy the car and actually get out and drive...I don't know what the hell will happen. I have been told wholesale is 180, and they don't go through manheim often, but a friend of mine is checking on that.

Anyway, I wish I could throw caution into the wind with money and these cars, but I tend to watch very closely and attempt to lose the least amount of money possible. Maybe it's the stock guy in me, which is the only reason I can even get these cars since my day job would never allow me to even look at them. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. In the end, I'd be a liar if I didn't say the "drama" surrounding what many people say about McLaren is holding me back.

The perspectives have been much appreciated here and on McLaren life. It's great to hear perspectives from many people who have owned multiple makes/models in here. I'm biased towards Porsche and likely would pick a GT3RS at the track over any vehicles, but I have not had a Lambo or some of the other brands, so I feel like I am doing myself a disservice by not trying them. Some of you in here are very good at pointing out pros/cons of different makes here in an objective way, and I just want to say, many thanks...
I feel your pain. I’ve been struggling with Mac desire = Mac anxiety for 3 years now.

The company seems tone deaf to the issues and changes that would change a lot for a lot of people.

Vocal Owners Group needed imho if there’s any chance of positive change.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:50 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
I just posted a similar article on Aston Martin, Ferrari, and McLarens businesses post the release of their Q 1 2020 results: https://karenable.com

Unless you are Ferrari, its not very pretty.....
Thorough analysis.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:11 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Old 06-02-2020, 04:49 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
it was interesting, but focused entirely on "become just like Ferrari". Clearly McLaren has over produced cars, but it's not self evident to me they would be well received by instituting Ferrari rules. McLaren has gotten a lot of good will by not being Ferrari.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by theunitedstates

I went through the same mental gymnastics over the relatively pedestrian 570S about two years ago. In the end, the combination of a less than stellar initial experience with my local dealer, the chatter about all the issues with the cars, and, frankly, my disappointment with the fit and finish of the cars that I looked at, killed it for me. If I was willing to toss $100k out the window to own the car for a couple of years, I would have taken the risk, but I just couldn't do it. I get why people with the cash (or guts) would do it though. Very cool cars, but I see them as definitely on the next level up in TCO relative to the Porsche GT cars.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success