Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 01:15 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

I would guess they get bought out by someone if it came to that, and it would be up to the new owner how they deal with warranty, parts, etc.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I would guess they get bought out by someone and it's up to them how they deal with it.
That assumes that only the ownership changes but the business remains viable and operational. There's not always a buyer for every business that goes belly up. In this age of free fiat money (and loans always available for the next buyer to take a shot and to cover the losses longer) we seem to have forgotten that businesses often just go away.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Hypothetically, if McLaren goes belly up, then what happens with the warranty, service, maintenance, parts, usability, and values of the current Macs on the road?
The liability gets purchased by the new owner, and would be business as usual. I would assume they would sell the business before they go belly up, and get swallowed up by a large manufacture. They’re so far from liquidation which is another ball game, and this always the risk being a small private company ......2020 lots of companies will be needed infusion. Expect to see lots of luxury cars sitting on lots as people hoard cash waiting for the bottom.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:49 AM
Revans134
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Older thread but I am new to the forum. I have owned a 570s for 6 mo with 700 out of 1000 miles done on the track. Fully spec’d it was less $$ than a Gt2rs o-60 in 3.1 , fantastic quality, loads of carbon fiber and faster in a straight line than a Gt3RS. That being said I just bought my first Gt3RS(2019) after driving one on the track and it would eat the Mclaren’s lunch for lap times but looks just aren’t as unique as the Mclaren to me. Whether the 18 new Mclarwn models scheduled over 24-36 months dilutes the brand we will see. Both great, each has their own cool qualities, it is cool to drive home from the track with the retractable hardtop top in spider mode though🙂
Old 04-11-2020, 03:37 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Jim50-

if your car was on the floor, and it has a deposit against it- they will build it. anyone with a 'sold unit' will get their car.

what will change- and this is for ALL manufacturers, including Chevy or Ford- is that there will be a decline in total production in 2020. most factories will have closed or slowed down for at least 30-60 days...so expect car output to follow a similar streak of being 7-18% off the projected annual.

so a company like mclaren would do 5000 cars, subtract 350-900 off that number now to be safe.

companies like Mac and Ferrari will likely see the following from this in 6-9 months:

later transition to 2021 model year
less unsold cars being produced
less 'regular' cars made/ focus on LT/ Pista/ RS type cars since they are easier to sell and parts are ordered in smaller batches
cancellation of funky special editions, like an 'anniversary' car or 'can-am'
expect MSO to really be shuffled as the Elva/ LT work balance along with historic F1 cars to fight for wrenches and lift time.

customization could decrease if 'too risky' or too much R+D is needed.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Revans134
Older thread but I am new to the forum. I have owned a 570s for 6 mo with 700 out of 1000 miles done on the track. Fully spec’d it was less $$ than a Gt2rs o-60 in 3.1 , fantastic quality, loads of carbon fiber and faster in a straight line than a Gt3RS. That being said I just bought my first Gt3RS(2019) after driving one on the track and it would eat the Mclaren’s lunch for lap times but looks just aren’t as unique as the Mclaren to me. Whether the 18 new Mclarwn models scheduled over 24-36 months dilutes the brand we will see. Both great, each has their own cool qualities, it is cool to drive home from the track with the retractable hardtop top in spider mode though🙂
Only the McLaren has a carbon fibre tub
Old 04-11-2020, 12:12 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Revans134
Looks like you can't handle the speed of the Mac...

Old 04-11-2020, 03:09 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
Looks like you can't handle the speed of the Mac...

570s is showing slower lap times than gt3rs.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:09 PM
Revans134
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I can handle the speed but the 570 can’t keep speed in a tight road course I drive on (2.4 miles) like the GT3RS. Yes in a straight line the Mac is faster and top speed faster by 6-7 mph but around a technical road course it can’t hold a candle to the GT3RS or the 600 LT and I have driven both
Old 04-11-2020, 03:16 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

RS has mucho grip!
Old 04-11-2020, 03:46 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
570s is showing slower lap times than gt3rs.
I'll post the video again. side by side 12c totally stock except goodyear supercar 3r tires vs .2 gt3rs (both are track records for the respective cars at Laguna Seca). Motortrend tested 570 and it was a little bit faster then 12c on corsa tires. The driver/owner of the 12c went 4 seconds faster then 12 c time at Laguna Seca.

You can check his channel as he has significant experience with gt3rs and the Mac's. (I know him and the gt3rs driver)

His comment in the comment section:

The RS has an incredible T/C system which makes the car very easy to drive at the limit, in the sense that it will keep you out of trouble 99/100 times. There is a very small advantage to turning all nannies off. The power is very linear and lower-torque, so you can really roll on the throttle without much worry of punishment. It also has great visibility and remains mechanically consistent lap after lap. A really impressive car. Probably the easiest in it's lap time ability out of any car to drive 90%.The 12C has been one of the most challenging cars for me to drive at the limit. My first two track days I wasn't getting my fastest laps until the end of the day, which is very abnormal for me. It's a little hard to explain, but I always felt that I was at the limit, but realized there was more and more, but you have to get on the throttle so early to get the power to deliver when you want it. By committing that early you really have to know the outcome, otherwise it will run you off the track, or you will have to lift and then run into the same issue of waiting for the power to come back on. It can be so early, in fact, that you cannot always rely on your vision to know when to roll on throttle (a whole new skill for me). In addition, once it starts to slide it is fairly challenging to catch it. There is a BIG difference in having the T/C on or off as far as laptimes. The newer McLaren's have a dynamic mode, which is really great and was needed for the 12C. The car feels like it is driving itself with the T/C on (makes sense why all of the reviewers talked about it this way), but that disappears when it goes off.The initial limit that the 12C gives you mentally is very easy to achieve, but that laptime will be 2 seconds off the pace and it is very hard to find that last bit. I probably wouldn't have pushed into that realm unless it was my car, but I do have to say it is very easy for me to drive it at that point now. It was just learning a whole new beast (which has been incredibly fun for me, I love the challenge).
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 04-11-2020, 04:10 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

but you have to get on the throttle so early to get the power to deliver when you want it. By committing that early you really have to know the outcome, otherwise it will run you off the track, or you will have to lift and then run into the same issue of waiting for the power to come back on. It can be so early, in fact, that you cannot always rely on your vision to know when to roll on throttle (a whole new skill for me). In addition, once it starts to slide it is fairly challenging to catch it. There is a BIG difference in having the T/C on or off as far as laptimes. The newer McLaren's have a dynamic mode, which is really great and was needed for the 12C. The car feels like it is driving itself with the T/C on (makes sense why all of the reviewers talked about it this way), but that disappears when it goes off.The initial limit that the 12C gives you mentally is very easy to achieve, but that laptime will be 2 seconds off the pace and it is very hard to find that last bit. I probably wouldn't have pushed into that realm unless it was my car, but I do have to say it is very easy for me to drive it at that point now. It was just learning a whole new beast (which has been incredibly fun for me, I love the challenge).
​​​​​​
Turbo lag? Looks like very hard to closely straddle the grip limit (with micro corrections for over/under). T/C is useless for fun regardless of lap-times. It just guarantees that you are NOT straddling the grip limit and that you are safely under it most of the time except for the short overshoots when it intrudes to prevent a spin.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:28 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

I'll post the video again. side by side 12c totally stock except goodyear supercar 3r tires vs .2 gt3rs (both are track records for the respective cars at Laguna Seca). Motortrend tested 570 and it was a little bit faster then 12c on corsa tires. The driver/owner of the 12c went 4 seconds faster then 12 c time at Laguna Seca.

You can check his channel as he has significant experience with gt3rs and the Mac's. (I know him and the gt3rs driver)

His comment in the comment section:

The RS has an incredible T/C system which makes the car very easy to drive at the limit, in the sense that it will keep you out of trouble 99/100 times. There is a very small advantage to turning all nannies off. The power is very linear and lower-torque, so you can really roll on the throttle without much worry of punishment. It also has great visibility and remains mechanically consistent lap after lap. A really impressive car. Probably the easiest in it's lap time ability out of any car to drive 90%.The 12C has been one of the most challenging cars for me to drive at the limit. My first two track days I wasn't getting my fastest laps until the end of the day, which is very abnormal for me. It's a little hard to explain, but I always felt that I was at the limit, but realized there was more and more, but you have to get on the throttle so early to get the power to deliver when you want it. By committing that early you really have to know the outcome, otherwise it will run you off the track, or you will have to lift and then run into the same issue of waiting for the power to come back on. It can be so early, in fact, that you cannot always rely on your vision to know when to roll on throttle (a whole new skill for me). In addition, once it starts to slide it is fairly challenging to catch it. There is a BIG difference in having the T/C on or off as far as laptimes. The newer McLaren's have a dynamic mode, which is really great and was needed for the 12C. The car feels like it is driving itself with the T/C on (makes sense why all of the reviewers talked about it this way), but that disappears when it goes off.The initial limit that the 12C gives you mentally is very easy to achieve, but that laptime will be 2 seconds off the pace and it is very hard to find that last bit. I probably wouldn't have pushed into that realm unless it was my car, but I do have to say it is very easy for me to drive it at that point now. It was just learning a whole new beast (which has been incredibly fun for me, I love the challenge).
​​​​​​
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngl_cX2mIi0

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/paskad2no78h

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

Old 04-11-2020, 06:08 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 119 Posts

Most tests on the 570S were done on Corsa tires while the RS on Cup2's so the times are not representative of how the two cars compare if on identical tires. It'd be relatively cheap to add a Race Chip tuning box to the 570S and get 675HP out of the car. BTW I have a used tuning box for sale if you are interested.
https://www.racechip.us/shop/mclaren...-443lb-ft.html
Old 04-11-2020, 06:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bli8
Most tests on the 570S were done on Corsa tires while the RS on Cup2's so the times are not representative of how the two cars compare if on identical tires. It'd be relatively cheap to add a Race Chip tuning box to the 570S and get 675HP out of the car. BTW I have a used tuning box for sale if you are interested.
https://www.racechip.us/shop/mclaren...-443lb-ft.html
Aren't all Macs using the same 3.8 turbo engine making them all one chip tune apart from the rest at least in HP/TQ?

Quick Reply: McLaren Success