Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 03:44 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
Title is definitely click bait. Everything he discusses/presents as fact was probably pulled from various threads on pistonheads. A bit of its true, a lot of its opinion, and his fact checking is abysmal (see his comment about Ferrari and 399 Enzos). He clearly doesn't have any inside information nor has he done any in-depth research.
Re: PH - could be. I don’t read PH - find it hard to follow. I keep up with the UK automotive media and have a few car friends in London but I still find a lot of PH arcane.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Probably got some of his info from this thread
Perhaps!
Old 04-24-2020, 04:22 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I watched the video, and I think he makes some interesting points (he’s in the UK):

McLaren ramped up production and proliferation of a model line quickly

He claims that McLaren pushes cars to dealers to collect cash for them and punch them as sold units

He discusses the Elva production number embarrassment, as we have in this thread; also discusses an apparent identity crisis in the brand’s corporate strategy - are they a manufacturer of mass produced but still exotic cars that are capable (reliable) enough to be operated as a primary vehicle / daily driver? Or are they a purveyor of high end automotive art (i.e., “hypercars” - P1, Senna, Speedtail, Elva all in a relatively short period) that competes with Koenigsegg, Pagani, etc.?

He discusses customer disappointment with resale value (hard to retain people in the brand if secondary values are soft ... it gets expensive to lose six figures on a car every time you buy one!)

He discusses the reluctance of finance companies to work with McLaren surrounding inflated “Guaranteed Future Values” devised to move units (I believe this is a UK-specific scheme)

The headline title is somewhat clickbait, but he does a measured job of presenting some apparent strategic shortcomings - I enjoyed watching it
The biggest barrier to entry for these cars and other exotics is the long-term repair/maintenance costs for cars out of manufacturer warranty. I'm not in a position to be buying new McLarens/Ferraris/Lambos, I wish I was. Would love to buy a used one if I could easily obtain a warranty that wasn't $6k+ PER YEAR. The fact that warranties are so expensive and have to pass inspection first means that resale values are reduced when potential buyers like me drop out of the market for those reasons. If you buy a car from a third party dealer, you are taking a chance that your new used car may not qualify for the factory warranty without significant expense. If you a buy a car from a private party, they have to get the car inspected and buy the warranty first, then transfer it to you. That's a lot of hassle to deal with.

Pre-paid maintenance/warranty being available on all used cars at a reasonable cost would go a long way to improving resale values. They need to weigh the warranty/maintenance cost against the overall value to the brand. If people that are buying new don't buy because of the massive depreciation, it cheapens the entire brand. If they offered something like a 10-year 100k warranty/pre-paid maintenance on all new cars, that would go a LONG way towards improving overall sales and prop up resale values, which in turn makes them more attractive to your new car buyers. Nobody else in the price segment offers that (yes I know Ferrari goes 7 years maintenance/3 years warranty, but that isn't 10 years). If you had a choice between a McLaren with 10-year 100k warranty and Ferrari/Lambo with 3 years, which would you buy? Just my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgoldenz:
neoprufrok (04-26-2020), twospyders (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 09:33 PM
stanwine
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
The biggest barrier to entry for these cars and other exotics is the long-term repair/maintenance costs for cars out of manufacturer warranty. I'm not in a position to be buying new McLarens/Ferraris/Lambos, I wish I was. Would love to buy a used one if I could easily obtain a warranty that wasn't $6k+ PER YEAR. The fact that warranties are so expensive and have to pass inspection first means that resale values are reduced when potential buyers like me drop out of the market for those reasons. If you buy a car from a third party dealer, you are taking a chance that your new used car may not qualify for the factory warranty without significant expense. If you a buy a car from a private party, they have to get the car inspected and buy the warranty first, then transfer it to you. That's a lot of hassle to deal with.

Pre-paid maintenance/warranty being available on all used cars at a reasonable cost would go a long way to improving resale values. They need to weigh the warranty/maintenance cost against the overall value to the brand. If people that are buying new don't buy because of the massive depreciation, it cheapens the entire brand. If they offered something like a 10-year 100k warranty/pre-paid maintenance on all new cars, that would go a LONG way towards improving overall sales and prop up resale values, which in turn makes them more attractive to your new car buyers. Nobody else in the price segment offers that (yes I know Ferrari goes 7 years maintenance/3 years warranty, but that isn't 10 years). If you had a choice between a McLaren with 10-year 100k warranty and Ferrari/Lambo with 3 years, which would you buy? Just my opinion.
If you want to buy a expensive toy you’re going to have to pay one way or another. I purchased a 2 year extended warranty for my 675LT last year for $9,400($4,700 per year) but I also paid a greatly deprecated price for the car. My overall cost for 2 years of depreciation plus warranty will be significantly less than if I had purchased the car new. It’s unreasonable to expect to drive these cars without paying real money every year. The warranty on my BMW M6 Gran Coupe is up next month and if I want to extend the warranty the cost is no different than what I’m paying for my McLaren’s warranty. You cannot have your cake and eat it to.
Additionally the McLaren warranty is transferable and you can also cash out and get a prorated refund.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 10:35 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by stanwine
If you want to buy a expensive toy you’re going to have to pay one way or another. I purchased a 2 year extended warranty for my 675LT last year for $9,400($4,700 per year) but I also paid a greatly deprecated price for the car. My overall cost for 2 years of depreciation plus warranty will be significantly less than if I had purchased the car new. It’s unreasonable to expect to drive these cars without paying real money every year. The warranty on my BMW M6 Gran Coupe is up next month and if I want to extend the warranty the cost is no different than what I’m paying for my McLaren’s warranty. You cannot have your cake and eat it to.
Additionally the McLaren warranty is transferable and you can also cash out and get a prorated refund.
it’s less about eating cake and more about maximizing McLaren’s revenue. Ferrari simply makes fewer cars so the supply demand balance is more favorable to value maintenance

McLaren could do that by ... selling fewer cars which (checks notes) makes less revenue. They may have to in this economy, but then both we and they lose out.

if they can find other ways to prop up used prices without being forced to reduce supply it’d be a win for them and us. Offering extended warranty At Cost might be a middle ground. It’s a tough spot business wise.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I purchased a 2 year extended warranty for my 675LT last year for $9,400($4,700 per year) but I also paid a greatly deprecated price for the car. My overall cost for 2 years of depreciation plus warranty will be significantly less than if I had purchased the car new.
Is this warranty only available for a used car bought from a Mac dealer or can you bring any Mac to the dealer and request it? If buying from private party or a non-Mac dealer maybe do a PPI at the Mac dealer and use that inspection as a basis for a warranty quote? What do you plan to do when the warranty expires?

I agree that there's no cheap way to own and maintain an exotic -- just cheaper (buy a depreciated used car and pay for warranty or maintenance out of pocket) and more expensive (buy new with warranty and pay depreciation).
Old 04-25-2020, 12:05 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Ferrari simply makes fewer cars so the supply demand balance is more favorable to value maintenance
Really? I did not know that...
Old 04-25-2020, 12:15 AM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

think I read the prices went up to $6-7k per year now? Even so, you can’t get the warranty if buying through a third party dealer unless you take the chance it will qualify after being inspected.

i didn’t say I want to drive the car for free, but I’d rather pay more for the car if I knew it had a fixed long term warranty and maintenance package behind it. That also makes it easier to sell the car when you’re ready to move onto the next one. They aren’t selling new cars because their buyers can’t sell the ones they already have without eating their shirt.

It’s the same way that Hyundai broke through and became a respectable competitor to Toyota and Honda. They simply offered a better warranty than the competition while improving the quality of the cars being sold. IMO they would more than recoup the warranty cost by making the cars and brand more valuable. I’ve seen people saying they’ve gotten $60-80k off a brand new 720s. As the dude in the video said, that’s terrible for business because you’re cheapening a brand that’s supposed to be at the high end of the market.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:18 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Ferrari simply makes fewer cars so the supply demand balance is more favorable to value maintenance
Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
Neither did Ferrari ...
Old 04-25-2020, 12:32 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

think I read the prices went up to $6-7k per year now? Even so, you can’t get the warranty if buying through a third party dealer unless you take the chance it will qualify after being inspected.
If repairs are expensive, then warranty will be expensive, period. You’ll just need to add the price of the warranty to the price of the car and see if the total makes sense. You could make an offer to the seller contingent on the car passing PPI and warranty inspection. Sellers would then be encouraged to do this inspection themselves to make their car more attractive for buyers.

Maybe there is a reason why no exotic car maker offers a 10yr/100k mile warranty. They’re not suicidal. Mac’s steep depreciation from new (or big discounts on new cars) may simply be a reflection of their overly optimistic MSRP’s and have little to do with the new car warranty terms.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:46 AM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
If repairs are expensive, then warranty will be expensive, period. You’ll just need to add the price of the warranty to the price of the car and see if the total makes sense. You could make an offer to the seller contingent on the car passing PPI and warranty inspection. Sellers would then be encouraged to do this inspection themselves to make their car more attractive for buyers.

Maybe there is a reason why no exotic car maker offers a 10yr/100k mile warranty. They’re not suicidal. Mac’s steep depreciation from new (or big discounts on new cars) may simply be a reflection of their overly optimistic MSRP’s and have little to do with the new car warranty terms.
When Carmax and Fidelity can offer a 5 year 100k warranty on a Turbo S or GT4 for $3-4k total, I find it hard to believe that a 5 year warranty for a McLaren or Ferrari should cost 10 times the price.

They charge it because the owners keep paying it. Eventually they’ll stop when the price gets too high. Even exotic owners have common sense and most hate losing large piles of money. it’s an immediate turn off for a buyer looking to get into an exotic car, especially when Porsche’s hold their value so well. If I can buy a GT3 for $100k or a 570s for slightly more but the depreciation and warranty/maintenance/repair costs are insane, I’m going to stick with the GT3. There’s a lot of people like me out there.

Financial suicide is pricing your cars out of the market, cheapening the brand by doing it, and turning away potential buyers because they see the crazy high ownership costs. The long term warranty would fix a lot of those problems in one fell swoop. Sometimes you need to think big to turn around a dying brand. I agree with the dude in the video 100%.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:49 AM
stanwine
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

it’s less about eating cake and more about maximizing McLaren’s revenue. Ferrari simply makes fewer cars so the supply demand balance is more favorable to value maintenance

McLaren could do that by ... selling fewer cars which (checks notes) makes less revenue. They may have to in this economy, but then both we and they lose out.

if they can find other ways to prop up used prices without being forced to reduce supply it’d be a win for them and us. Offering extended warranty At Cost might be a middle ground. It’s a tough spot business wise.
McLaren production numbers are about half of Ferrari’s, 5,000 vs 10,000. Since Ferrari became a public company the old established limit on cars has been abandoned.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:10 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Old 04-25-2020, 01:20 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

When Carmax and Fidelity can offer a 5 year 100k warranty on a Turbo S or GT4 for $3-4k total, I find it hard to believe that a 5 year warranty for a McLaren or Ferrari should cost 10 times the price.

They charge it because the owners keep paying it.
No one’s forcing them to pay for extended warranties. How much is a Carmax and Fidelity 5yr/100k warranty for a McLaren or Ferrari? How about Pagani? What are the costs to repair a McLaren or Ferrari without warranty compared to Porsche?

Financial suicide is pricing your cars out of the market, cheapening the brand by doing it, and turning away potential buyers because they see the crazy high ownership costs. The long term warranty would fix a lot of those problems in one fell swoop. Sometimes you need to think big to turn around a dying brand. I agree with the dude in the video 100%.
You seem to know how to run a profitable exotic car company. Consider buying or starting one and show them how it’s done, starting with 10yr/100k warranty.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:22 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Neither did Ferrari ...
McLaren production numbers are about half of Ferrari’s, 5,000 vs 10,000. Since Ferrari became a public company the old established limit on cars has been abandoned.
I read his post and assumed he meant lower production relative to demand.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:28 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

They charge it because the owners keep paying it. Eventually they’ll stop when the price gets too high. Even exotic owners have common sense and most hate losing large piles of money. it’s an immediate turn off for a buyer looking to get into an exotic car, especially when Porsche’s hold their value so well. If I can buy a GT3 for $100k or a 570s for slightly more but the depreciation and warranty/maintenance/repair costs are insane, I’m going to stick with the GT3. There’s a lot of people like me out there.

Typical car forum behavior.... Can't afford the car so crap on it or the marque.

Your previous posting said that your budget was $120K and you were thinking of trading in your gt3 for an FF or Cali T but 458 was outside your budget ($170K range). You think you have the solution but if that solution was valid then the 570/12c wouldn't be in your budget to even buy...

fwiw; there are 60 exotic cars in my neighborhood.... one is a gt3rs, the rest are all ferrari's, mclarens, lambos. Exotic cars have different buyers, different rules of engagement.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success