Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 09:12 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,492 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by kingjr9000
I'm really curious to know why there are so many Sennas for sale on du-pont. If anyone knows something or if there are any solid guesses, feel free to inform me. Is it because of the few senna fires that have happened or is it something else?
Covid 19 people financially freaking out aka a correction of a over inflated economy.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:31 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kingjr9000
I'm really curious to know why there are so many Sennas for sale on du-pont. If anyone knows something or if there are any solid guesses, feel free to inform me. Is it because of the few senna fires that have happened or is it something else?
Probably people who bought them to make a buck unloading them to free up some capital. Notice that 14 of the 22 have less than 500 miles on them. Similar thing with GT2RS really, about a third of them for sale have less than 500 miles on them.

I do think McLaren's strategy of releasing hypercars more frequently is going to drive down the resale value of them since they aren't really rare and as such won't be good investments for the bubble wrapping set. But as long as McLaren can sell every one they make, why not?
Old 04-17-2020, 11:02 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Probably people who bought them to make a buck unloading them to free up some capital. Notice that 14 of the 22 have less than 500 miles on them. Similar thing with GT2RS really, about a third of them for sale have less than 500 miles on them.

I do think McLaren's strategy of releasing hypercars more frequently is going to drive down the resale value of them since they aren't really rare and as such won't be good investments for the bubble wrapping set. But as long as McLaren can sell every one they make, why not?
I like the Senna and boy would that be fun to grab one for a fraction of what they were trying to sell it for one day. Although a car that I really want that might come down is that TDF. Dream car
Old 04-18-2020, 10:29 AM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Completely agree. It's a combination of market saturation and a number of speculators now bailing. McLaren is now cutting back on the number and frequency because of exactly what's happening.

I did an article on this a few weeks back: https://karenable.com/too-much-of-a-good-thing/

The following users liked this post:
G.Irish (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 12:17 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting info you guys put out. With porsche making a 918 sucessor, do you think they will run into the same problem? Any guesses on how many they would probably make since the "you-know-what" is happeneing? Autovisie posted a patent image on their site and I posted it here. Its in the 918 section titled "918 Sucessor"
Old 04-19-2020, 03:45 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

A tuned 570S came out on top of RaceChip tuned cars in this video.

BTW since I sold the 570S for the RS, I no longer need the RaceChip GTS tuning box and am selling it for only $1000. BTW adding this box doesn't void the warranty as the box can be removed w/o any trace as it doesn't flash the ECU with maps so the flash counter remains unchanged. Using simple hand tools, I did the install in about an hour.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:22 PM
SSO
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
incoming model lineup:

Elva
620R
765LT
765LT Spider
570S replacement- V6 hybrid-
P1 Version 2- hybrid
McLaren GT hybrid
Fully electric car
SuperAmazingLimited 765LT by MSO ( highsport?)
720S replacement
720S replacement hybrid
As background, I just posted a new article on the Collectability of all the McLarens to date: https://karenable.com/collectability-of-mclarens/
The following 3 users liked this post by SSO:
pdxjim (04-19-2020), pissedpuppy (04-20-2020), rodsky (04-20-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
As background, I just posted a new article on the Collectability of all the McLarens to date: https://karenable.com/collectability-of-mclarens/
good read thanks for sharing
Old 04-19-2020, 10:29 PM
stanwine
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
I enjoyed reading your thoughts and experiences. I have a 675 spider as well and truly think it will become even more special over time, I will never sell mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by stanwine:
17bhub (04-23-2020), cadster (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 04:23 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
Completely agree. It's a combination of market saturation and a number of speculators now bailing. McLaren is now cutting back on the number and frequency because of exactly what's happening.

I did an article on this a few weeks back: https://karenable.com/too-much-of-a-good-thing/
Very good article! It's kind of weird to see different cash grab ideas spread through the high end market.

There's the track-only supercar/hypercar offering, that got started with Ferrari's FXX program. Aston Martin sorta copied it with the Vulcan, then we had the small disaster of the T125 (which I guess was copying Corse Clienti), then a smattering of other examples, some successful, like the P1 GTR and the 935. Then there's the one make series which only had Ferrari Challenge and GT3 Cup for a long time, then Lamborghini, Lotus, and Aston Martin tried it with varying degrees of success.

And now we have the hypercar free for all, which I agree, will probably result in some big financial losses or even bankruptcies for some of these factories. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of these cars get cancelled in the next few months. For Porsche I think maybe they push back a 918 successor a few years. In a few years there'll probably be a lot less players in that pool.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:18 PM
SSO
Instructor

Very good article! It's kind of weird to see different cash grab ideas spread through the high end market.

There's the track-only supercar/hypercar offering, that got started with Ferrari's FXX program. Aston Martin sorta copied it with the Vulcan, then we had the small disaster of the T125 (which I guess was copying Corse Clienti), then a smattering of other examples, some successful, like the P1 GTR and the 935. Then there's the one make series which only had Ferrari Challenge and GT3 Cup for a long time, then Lamborghini, Lotus, and Aston Martin tried it with varying degrees of success.

And now we have the hypercar free for all, which I agree, will probably result in some big financial losses or even bankruptcies for some of these factories. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of these cars get cancelled in the next few months. For Porsche I think maybe they push back a 918 successor a few years. In a few years there'll probably be a lot less players in that pool.
Given the current economic situation I am sure we will see a lot of Darwinism among a lot of the small hypercard players in the coming months/years.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:55 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
My guess... More grip => higher g-forces => more suspension + brakes + cooling => more weight => more suspension + brakes +cooling => worse power-to-weight ratio. In general, everything has to be beefed up for higher stress with higher grip & g-forces. It's how Lotus added lightness with less grip. Then there are engine oiling and cooling issues with higher g-forces and more weight especially with turbos. There are many design feedback loops that get out of hand if one of these systems is off..
Thanks for the response. I suspected some type of feedback loop but I'm completely clueless when it comes to amplification. Like I said, I'm sure Mclaren have their reasons but it would be nice to know in case someone wanted to step outside of their build philosophy and create something that is even better at specific things.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Carbon Monocoque, is why.
Hi ipse, I assume the monocoque is size-restrictive?
Old 04-21-2020, 01:24 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
Love your articles. Curious, with your expertise, where you realistically think unmolested Senna prices will go?
I would love one if they came down to something bit more feasible.
cadster (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 03:45 PM
SSO
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLGT
Love your articles. Curious, with your expertise, where you realistically think unmolested Senna prices will go?
I would love one if they came down to something bit more feasible.
My guess is Senna prices will drop before heading back north in a couple of years. Not sure how far down they will go though.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:07 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
People who have the cars and know what they are doing with them or live in that type of community don't rely on magazine lap times. (they are out and about doing it and know how the cars are set up, driver skill, conditions, etc.). It is a different reality in real life rather then magazine tests...

Go to his youtube channel and he has a 1:49 in a mclaren 600 LT at Button-willow, another guy did a 1:50 in a 12c with P-zero tires, a pista did a 1:49 and a mclaren 720s did a 1:48. (there is a gt3rs driver that consistently does 1:51 at buttonwillow. (13cw configuration which is the most common and popular config). These lap times are posted but part of HPDE days. (you have to be an insider to know whether to throw out these lap times (ie; non street tires, etc.). However, the lap times i posted in this paragraph are not on fastestlaps or other magazine tests. Real times by real drivers on street tires.

The 12c and gt3rs lap times (Laguna Seca which are the track records for both cars) aren't posted anywhere except for the owners youtube channels.
I've run consistent lap times in the 1:51-1:52 with my GT3RS at Buttonwillow 13CW so that sounds right.
yesyoucan (04-22-2020)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success