Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 09:56 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
I think the 675LT is probably it's most reliable as it was 3rd gen of the original 12C platform. They worked out most of the kinks. You don't see the forums or owners complaining of quality as much as the 570s. The 570s had a lot more changes hence the quality issues.
570GT owner here. No issues. Car goes in once a year for service and that’s it. And I drive it a lot. My 911 was in the shop way more often.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:46 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
Your complaints are a big yawn... I have about 40K milkes across 7 mclarens, I know many, many owners who are on second and third cars. I own across all marques. I drive them harder then most. Saying you have 7,000 miles driven and "unreliable" with frivolous type complaints is fairly comcial. It's ok to say that you couldn't afford the car or the depreciation (you introduced depreciation), but no reason to back in and justify why you had to sell the car.

and year; make up your mind (this is your posting from 7 months ago. your previous posting prior to this one said that the car had low mileage and then subsequent posting said 7,000 miles (this is very high mileage for the typical exotic car):

----------------------------------------------------

Driving experience has been great. I had a 997gt3 and then moved to an 2017 R8 V10+. I never felt like the r8 connected with the road so I figure why not try McLaren. The 570 steering feels identical to the 997gt3. Amazing feedback. The acceleration is tremendous...especially once the turbos kick in. There is a slight turbo lag though but the 570 will definitely outrun a gt3 and most likely rs also. The car has been reliable too which I can count myself lucky. I only get 2 electrical errors from time to time which are sidemarker error and lights error. Both of which goes away after about 3 seconds. Apparently this is typical McLaren. The car is even better now since I've put on wider tires with the new wheels. Went from 225 front to 245 and 285 to 305 for the rear. Makes a world of difference.
​​​​​
It also gets a ton more attention than any car I've had before.
Man, it's like I insulted someone's baby or something. At 7k miles and problems that keep adding up like the ones I experienced is in my mind, unreliable. I can't imagine how much worse it's going to get when it reaches 10k or 30k miles. I forgot to mention a couple of months ago, the driver's seat decided to completely sit upright and not let me recline. Had to go to the dealership to have it reset for a nice $250 fee for 3 minutes of work. I don't think anyone that buys a mclaren in the first place and then sells it to buy a $200k+ '19 GT3RS is "poor" but ok..? I already stated my reasons for dumping it.

And pulling up my old post shows I was happy with it early on, then when the miles added up, the problems did too. That's why I said it was a bittersweet ownership experience. I loved the car, when it worked.

I get some owners are going to say their car has been fine. That's great! Consider yourself lucky. No need to go and bash me personally. LMAO. It's a crapshoot if you got a good one or complete lemon. Some days my car only gave me one error. Other days, I couldn't start the car. I've met plenty of owners that have had issues too.

Happy to be back in a GT car.

Last edited by Tracky; 08-02-2020 at 03:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tracky:
ajw45 (08-05-2020), Napoli (08-02-2020), vtgt (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 04:01 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That’s probably more miles than all the positive experiences in this thread put together. Your problem was that you drove your McLaren too much.
I drove it a ton during the lockdown period! Roads in LA were so open. Had about 4000 miles I think beginning of the year. Ended at 7 when I sold it. Mostly fast canyon drive miles. Thermostats were the last thing that broken down on me during an Angeles Crest Hwy run. 20 minutes into the run when our group finally cleared of traffic, the oil temps started to soar 20-30F higher than usual and then sudden power loss with ZERO errors that lasted for about 10 seconds. Pulled over to let it cool and then drove it slowly home. Called BH Mclaren and was told, "Yeah thermostats likely as they tend to get stuck and break like that. We get that a lot". That was kind of the last straw for me. I don't like spending lots of money on something that I can't enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tracky:
Napoli (08-02-2020), vtgt (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 06:13 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
LOL, I think you must have written this up feeding the baby in the middle of the night!
^^^^
Bingo.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

This back and forth supports the reality that Mac does not have a good reputation for quality and reliability which is further buttressed by the fact their values crater after original purchase and continue their crash dive for years which is a symptom of this public reputation for quality and reliability problems.

If you are rich enough to toast marshmallows with your cash then catastrophic resale is no issue. I get that.

I negotiated on a pre owned 570 Spyder in May. Made an offer. My offer was I wanted 3 years warranty with purchase price. It was rejected. They called back a month later offering one year. Told them I lost interest. .

I think Mac’s yearly service money grab and the outrageous grab for cash with their yearly warranty price is ridiculous. How do they expect to project quality in their cars by demanding this faux service check every year for their cars at $1500 + that are hardly driven by most owners and pour salt in the wound with a charge of $5000 a year for their warranty? Oh, and you need to do the yearly service to qualify for the privilege of paying them $5000 a each year for a warranty. This tells me even though they just banged you for $1500 to make sure all’s well with their “exotic” they still need this extra $5000 a year to offset what they clearly see as a probable risk of some expensive failure. They clearly don’t have much confidence in their own product. Why should anyone else? Not a confidence builder. Hence catastrophic resale.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-02-2020 at 03:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Napoli (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Odd, you say it’s so bad and you made an offer to buy one 2 months ago
Old 08-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Odd, you say it’s so bad and you made an offer to buy one 2 months ago
Never said I don’t like Macs. I do. Second time I broke down and almost bought one. If they threw in the 3 years it would be in my garage. Wish things were different with them.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:55 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Waxer
Never said I don’t like Macs. I do. Second time I broke down and almost bought one. If they threw in the 3 years it would be in my garage. Wish things were different with them.
I get it ..........lol all good man fun we’re all cars guys. Go get a 675LT you will like it, and honestly it’s a sleeper car and I will never sell mine it’s that much fun if you like loud and raw. They only made a 1k and didn’t pumped them out like others.

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-03-2020 at 12:12 PM.
vtgt (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 07:07 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 601 Posts

Never owned a McLaren myself , but have a lot of close friends that have
in defense of OP, I say most , not all , of the owners complain frequently about issues with their cars , much more frequently than any other brand
I don't think there is a conspiracy among the public to trash Mclaren, but when there is smoke , there is fire
and cars resale value in general is connected to perceived cost of ownership and that is related to reliability
so the fact that Mclaren cars in general have steep depreciation curve , is to some degree related to the above
Napoli (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 07:14 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pitt911
in defense of OP, I say most , not all , of the owners complain frequently about issues with their cars , much more frequently than any other brand
I don't think there is a conspiracy among the public to trash Mclaren, but when there is smoke , there is fire
and cars resale value in general is connected to perceived cost of ownership and that is related to reliability
so the fact that Mclaren cars in general have steep depreciation curve , is to some degree related to the above
The main problem is small dealer network, and high price point/reputation. Look at the 488’s talking a bath, and the 570’s and 720’s high volume big dollars. Problem at this price point lots of options, and some problems some owners buy and want to service at at Indy. I’m not one to wavier at a warranty when the car was 400k or 300k .........the service will not be cheap. My 675 get regular service no issues thus far.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:24 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I get it ..........lol all good man fun we’re all cars guys. Go get a 675LT you will like it, and honestly it’s a sleeper car and I will never sell mine it’s that much fun if you like loud and raw. They only made a 1k and did pumped them out like others.
I love your 675. It’s bitch’n. They are more then I want to spend right now and I will be confronted with the same service and warranty charges ​​​​​.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:46 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Waxer
I love your 675. It’s bitch’n. They are more then I want to spend right now and I will be confronted with the same service and warranty charges ​​​​​.
I get it, and honestly it’s the same as my old Ferrari and a tad less. My last annual service oil and all hydraulic fluids around 1200.00 not bad. Hell my wife’s AMG 63 oil is more than my RS
Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

My friend had a 720S that he sold because of all of the problems he had. His water pump started to leak, car wouldn’t recognize his key (had to have the car towed 3 times because he couldn’t get into it) radio wouldn’t work ( he would shut off the engine and restart it and it would work again) wipers quit working, the back up camera would occasionally work, alarm would go off at night when parked in his garage, occasionally the doors wouldn’t open from the inside, Bluetooth would drop calls, front trunk release quit working, and complete suspension failure. He was very frustrated with the car. His wife was not amused when they were stuck out in the rain when the car wouldn’t let them in. Many journalists have mentioned the problems they had when reviewing the cars and a Quote from Chris Harris : “Mclaren I love this car .... but you need to start building them properly.”

Last edited by fskof; 08-03-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Napoli (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

I get it ..........lol all good man fun we’re all cars guys. Go get a 675LT you will like it, and honestly it’s a sleeper car and I will never sell mine it’s that much fun if you like loud and raw. They only made a 1k and did pumped them out like others.
I checked 675LT asking prices over the weekend out of curiosity, and I was surprised to see that they appear to have risen markedly lately (at least at the bottom end of the ask range).
Old 08-03-2020, 12:10 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
570GT owner here. No issues. Car goes in once a year for service and that’s it. And I drive it a lot. My 911 was in the shop way more often.
Originally Posted by pitt911
Originally Posted by fskof
My friend had a 720S that he sold because of all of the problems he had. His water pump started to leak, car wouldn’t recognize his key (had to have the car towed 3 times because he couldn’t get into it) radio wouldn’t work ( he would shut off the engine and restart it and it would work again) wipers quit working, the back up camera would occasionally work, alarm would go off at night when parked in his garage, occasionally the doors wouldn’t open from the inside, Bluetooth would drop calls, front trunk release quit working, and complete suspension failure. He was very frustrated with the car. His wife was not amused when they were stuck out in the rain when the car wouldn’t let them in.
One McLaren owner and two non-McLaren owners......

Quick Reply: McLaren Success