991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Disagree completely. OEM tires are about as relevant as what gas the dealer put in your tank before handing out the keys. They will be gone in few weeks or even days (or put in storage) and replaced with whatever tires you want. It's not an integral part of the car but purely a consumable. Changing tires is not equivalent to modding. On many cars you actually HAVE to change OEM tires to even be able to drive them on track reliably - does it make it a bad car? No, it's irrelevant, a non-issue.

Imagine if Porsche sold a "GT3 S", which is the same as GT3 but has Hoosiers and turns test lap times 3 seconds per minute faster than GT3 and costs $50K more because it's so much faster. Everyone with common sense would throw up all over it because you can buy hoosiers on your own if that's what you want, and it's the same car otherwise.

Or let's say Car A is sold on MPSS and does 1 minute laps, and Car B is sold on Premacy and does 1:05 minute laps. You would use either car on RE71Rs exclusively because that makes most sense, and on those tires Car B is actually 2 secs per lap faster than Car A. So which car is faster? Of course Car B.

That's not to say GT R is a great car - it probably is because GT S is already very good. We'll see. I just do not get this stuff about OEM tires defining how good the car is.
Thank you for taking the baton, I was getting tired.

I don't understand that argument either. For track use, who won't pick the best available tire in the class, considering grip, longevity, cost, etc.? And the available tire options continue to evolve. For that matter, the GT3 and GT4 came with both Michelins and Dunlops as OEM - two different tires - and it's rare to see anyone prefer the Dunlops for track use.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Does the TTS come with MPSC2's yet?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:51 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The posted ring time of the GT-R is way beyond just a tire advantage. Not sure why everyone is stuck on that. Maybe there is a few second difference as compared to the MPSC2 N1s on the RS but the rest is just more capability (torque, hp, setup, etc etc).

We'll see when they test it at other tracks. For now it is a complete bargain for the performance you get.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thank you for taking the baton, I was getting tired.

I don't understand that argument either. For track use, who won't pick the best available tire in the class, considering grip, longevity, cost, etc.? And the available tire options continue to evolve. For that matter, the GT3 and GT4 came with both Michelins and Dunlops as OEM - two different tires - and it's rare to see anyone prefer the Dunlops for track use.
The point is that for a comparison to have any lasting value, it has to be with the cars in stock form (i.e., off the shelf).

Yes, I agree with you that tires can be changed, but there are certain tires that aren't even made for certain cars (like the OEM Pirelli P-Zero™ Corsa tires for the 570S which last I checked isn't even available for the GT3/RS).

The point isn't to configure a car at it's optimal setting, but to simply compare the cars as they rolled off the factory conveyor belt (so to speak).
Old 12-23-2016, 11:28 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Stgrt
Changing original equipment (or their equivalent) parts with non-original equipment parts skews the comparison. Why should one car get its OEM deficiencies made up for at the expense of another car?

If a car uses a lighter weight oil, giving it more usable power at the expense of engine wear, would you advocate that all cars use the same oil weight? Companies choose oil to balance a number of variables such as cost, engine wear, fuel economy, etc. Companies take the same approach with tires.

Changing the tires fundamentally changes the dynamics of a car and makes it no longer meet the manufacturer's intentions. One company may value wet weather performance, road noise, tire wear, operating costs. If one factory car does better in all of those metrics should it face a penalty?

We are not discussing monetary value or a car's specific attributes such as the suspension or chassis. I think we are arguing two different points. I agree if you want to pinpoint specific differences or judge a car's value, use the same tires. In a previous post I brought up the BRZ which uses non-aggressive tires in stock form. The BRZ provides an excellent value in terms of its chassis. With more aggressive tires it becomes a very capable car, but for a truly fair comparison between OEM cars, they need to use stock tires. You will only match the OEM driving dynamics and the performance metrics established by the manufacturer through the use of OE tires.

I just ask, when comparing cars in their factory form, how does changing the tires make the comparison more fair? Companies weigh different variables when selecting tires, why should one car get an unfair benefit or disadvantage? If you are comparing road noise, would you say the car with louder tires should get the benefit of quieter tires? If you are looking at value, perhaps it would make sense to do so. But when comparing manufacturers capabilities and design intentions making such a change would make the comparison irrelevant.

Comparing OEM cars gives insight into the car's intentions, manufacturer capability, manufacturer vision, and ultimately provides the experience the manufacturer wanted the user to have.

Also, in terms of consumables, modding, etc. where would you stand on switching to ceramic bearings or switching to stiffer bushings? Should those parts also be equalized in magazine comparisons?
+1

Too many fanbois can't accept that the AMG GT R is faster than a GT3 RS around the Nordschleife, and by a wide margin, even comparing a magazine time to Porsche's factory driver quoted marketing time!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:41 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
+1

Too many fanbois can't accept that the AMG GT R is faster than a GT3 RS around the Nordschleife, and by a wide margin, even comparing a magazine time to Porsche's factory driver quoted marketing time!
^^^ agree
Old 12-24-2016, 03:38 AM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...h-anniversary/
Old 12-24-2016, 04:23 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
+1

I don't think anyone here has a problem with AMG posting quicker lap time than Porsche. I for one would be very happy to own an AMG GT-R.

With the wear rates they had in this test I'd probably order it with normal cup2's though.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:45 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Stgrt
Changing original equipment (or their equivalent) parts with non-original equipment parts skews the comparison. Why should one car get its OEM deficiencies made up for at the expense of another car?

If a car uses a lighter weight oil, giving it more usable power at the expense of engine wear, would you advocate that all cars use the same oil weight? Companies choose oil to balance a number of variables such as cost, engine wear, fuel economy, etc. Companies take the same approach with tires.

Changing the tires fundamentally changes the dynamics of a car and makes it no longer meet the manufacturer's intentions. One company may value wet weather performance, road noise, tire wear, operating costs. If one factory car does better in all of those metrics should it face a penalty?

We are not discussing monetary value or a car's specific attributes such as the suspension or chassis. I think we are arguing two different points. I agree if you want to pinpoint specific differences or judge a car's value, use the same tires. In a previous post I brought up the BRZ which uses non-aggressive tires in stock form. The BRZ provides an excellent value in terms of its chassis. With more aggressive tires it becomes a very capable car, but for a truly fair comparison between OEM cars, they need to use stock tires. You will only match the OEM driving dynamics and the performance metrics established by the manufacturer through the use of OE tires.

I just ask, when comparing cars in their factory form, how does changing the tires make the comparison more fair? Companies weigh different variables when selecting tires, why should one car get an unfair benefit or disadvantage? If you are comparing road noise, would you say the car with louder tires should get the benefit of quieter tires? If you are looking at value, perhaps it would make sense to do so. But when comparing manufacturers capabilities and design intentions making such a change would make the comparison irrelevant.

Comparing OEM cars gives insight into the car's intentions, manufacturer capability, manufacturer vision, and ultimately provides the experience the manufacturer wanted the user to have.

Also, in terms of consumables, modding, etc. where would you stand on switching to ceramic bearings or switching to stiffer bushings? Should those parts also be equalized in magazine comparisons?
This makes no sense whatsoever - bushings have nothing to do with it. You have to change tires, because the OEM tires are gone very quickly. You need to buy new tires - why on earth buy the ones that make the car perform worse compared to other available options? There is no extra cost or hassle - tires are gone and you need new ones. Why would you put on tires that came with the car? What if you did a European delivery in January and got the car on winter tires? Does it mean that you RS is slower than others forever? Nope. Why would you even remember what tires came with the car if there is a better option? It's just as weird as making your wife wear the same make up as she did when you first met her. It's a fetish at best with no practical reasons. Talking about manufacturer optimizing for specific tires etc. is nonsensical - if another tire still performs better, it trumps that optimization. If there are better tires available, there is no reason to use worse ones. It's just as silly as saying that turbo s is slower than GT3 because most turbo S are ordered with P zeros. It's faster on same tires and there is no reason not to use same tires.

Anyway, I'm not a fanboy of any car. Cars are a consumable to me . I accept that GT R's advantage over RS is likely bigger than tires can explain, and I'm glad it is. I'm buying, not selling, so more good options are awesome. It's just that these BS tire arguments and tire cheating by manufacturers grind my gears.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:58 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Can't you get shaved and cycled MPSC2 in appropriate N-Spec straight from tire rack?
Old 12-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

I think in all of this back and forth about tires, we're losing sight of the elephant in the room.

Are the tires the only reason the AMG GT R lapped the 'Ring in 7:10.92?

Or in other words, are there any tires in the world that would allow the 991 GT3 RS to match (or beat) that time? Short of slicks? Are there even any tires that would maybe shave 4-5 seconds off the GT3 RS time of 7:20?

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R