Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 02:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Stgrt
The GT-R that set the Nurburgring lap time had the "Nismo N Attack package."

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...r35-in-the-u-s

I am not sure how many cars have the package installed but that could account for the observed difference in lap times. Here are more details:

http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/news_list/...sh/140006.html
That probably explains it. Thanks for the info. But putting even more power through would likely make tires, engine and drivetrain go off even quicker. It's increadibly hard to make a heavy that quick and it makes for enormous running costs.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:05 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bardman
Because we have no choice. Perhaps one of the reasons we put so much stock in EVO reviews and Nurburgring lap times.

Earlier in the thread it mentions that the best lap time set for the GT R was on lap 7 of 7 laps. If its setting its best time after almost 3/4 an hour of punishing driving, it seems it can take a bit of a beating.
They definitely took breaks between these laps. The fuel tank is not big enough to last over 7 laps of N-ring non-stop at full tilt.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:15 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
If the GT-R proves to be durable on track, IMO Mercedes has delivered quite a blow to Porsche, considering that this car is significantly faster than the RS on track, is comfortable enough to be a daily driver, has decent storage space, has more flexibility with settings than Porsches, is priced similar to the RS, looks to be more readily available than Porsches, has the German engineering that many of us appreciate, and the reviews so far indicate that it's a hoot to drive.

And let's not forget the engine issue with the Porsches, and the fact that the warranty for the '15 and later cars gives Porsche an out to deny coverage if the car has been tracked.

I'm glad that another manufacturer, especially a German one, has stepped up and presented serious competition to Porsche for track cars in the $100K to $200K price range (again, assuming the GT-R is durable on track, otherwise Porsche still just about has a monopoly).
I agree - this is great news, and I'm looking forward to seeing the car on tracks. Porsche needs a good dose of competition to keep it honest.

It's likely not going to be a comfortable daily though - even the GT S is not that comfortable compared to a Turbo, much closer to GT3 in comfort, and this one is supposed to be much stiffer than GT S. Not a huge issue for a track car, though. A bigger issue is weight. It's very likely going to show itself - either in longevity or in running costs (or both).
Old 12-18-2016, 10:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's likely not going to be a comfortable daily though - even the GT S is not that comfortable compared to a Turbo, much closer to GT3 in comfort, and this one is supposed to be much stiffer than GT S. Not a huge issue for a track car, though. A bigger issue is weight. It's very likely going to show itself - either in longevity or in running costs (or both).
Disagree.

GT S is on par in terms of daily driving comfort/livability to the 991.1/2 911.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:05 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Disagree.

GT S is on par in terms of daily driving comfort/livability to the 991.1/2 911.
Could be - I drove it for a very short trip only and it seemed only slightly more compliant than GT3, but my experience with it was rather limited.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:09 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Love the hutzpah from the folks at AMG.

If there’s one thing that’s not in short supply at AMG, it’s confidence. Tobias Moers, Mercedes-AMG’s chairman and CEO, told us in no uncertain terms to compare the latest version of the brand’s sports car, the GT R, against the Porsche 911 GT3 RS. “Our car is faster,” he said. And when we asked where, the reply was as abrupt as it was unequivocal: “Everywhere.”
Read the entire C&D article here.

Your move, Mr. Preuninger
Old 12-19-2016, 12:51 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I agree - this is great news, and I'm looking forward to seeing the car on tracks. Porsche needs a good dose of competition to keep it honest.

Strongly disagree, daily drive my AMG GT S for the last 9 months, super comfortable, drive it in sports plus mode 100% of the time, it is sooo much fun and comfort is fine
Previous 997.1 4s with adaptives,...spasm etc
Old 12-19-2016, 01:54 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

AMG Gt-R is a very fast car for sure. But the Tyres used for this record were not standard MPSC 2's. He destroyed them in just few laps.. so they were a lot softer compound.

Makes comparing lap times little difficult IMHO.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:10 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JarmoL
AMG Gt-R is a very fast car for sure. But the Tyres used for this record were not standard MPSC 2's. He destroyed them in just few laps.. so they were a lot softer compound.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...n-a-viper-acr/

Germany's Sport Auto put its test driver Christian Gebhardt behind the wheel, with AMG's GT R running on road-legal Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires

So what tires were they? As I am going to buy this car, I read your post and researched it and you seem misinformed at best.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:14 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon9898

Germany's Sport Auto put its test driver Christian Gebhardt behind the wheel, with AMG's GT R running on road-legal Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires

So what tires were they? As I am going to buy this car, I read your post and researched it and you seem misinformed at best.
http://www.bridgetogantry.com/did-am...-gt-r-laptime/
Old 12-19-2016, 02:15 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Let s put it that way
any RS with that tyres will be slower and more expensive

GT2 RS be aware
Old 12-19-2016, 02:42 AM
JarmoL
Racer

This is what the actual driver said:

Christian Gebhardt / sport auto:" No slicks or cutted slick-tyres were used for the lap time. AMG will offer two different versions of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for the AMG GT R. A normal one, like it is available for the GT S, and a special one for track driving with a more sticky compound. BUT: Both versions of Cup 2 for the AMG GT R are fully street legal! You can compare the sticky Cup 2 for AMG GT R with the Cup 2 for the Corvette Z06. The grip level feels pretty similar! We, sport auto, would never ever drive a production car with slicks. It was a serious press test! "

So, like I wrote initially.. It is very fast car but who knows how much difference these special tires make. Or whether other manufacturers use something like those as well?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:59 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Christian Gebhardt / sport auto:" No slicks or cutted slick-tyres were used for the lap time. AMG will offer two different versions of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for the AMG GT R. A normal one, like it is available for the GT S, and a special one for track driving with a more sticky compound. BUT: Both versions of Cup 2 for the AMG GT R are fully street legal! You can compare the sticky Cup 2 for AMG GT R with the Cup 2 for the Corvette Z06. The grip level feels pretty similar! We, sport auto, would never ever drive a production car with slicks. It was a serious press test! "

So, like I wrote initially.. It is very fast car but who knows how much difference these special tires make. Or whether other manufacturers use something like those as well?
Again, nowhere does the driver state he drove on "special tires",... That may well indeed be offered by AMG on the AMG GT R
can you post a link showing that the lap time was performed by special tires?
if not then you don't know what you are talking about right
Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Again, nowhere does the driver state he drove on "special tires",... That may well indeed be offered by AMG on the AMG GT R
can you post a link showing that the lap time was performed by special tires?
if not then you don't know what you are talking about right
Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 202 Posts

thank you for this!

Maybe somebody already driven the difference of the normal Cup2 and the special one which is used for the Z06? Where are the Michelin experts?

If there is a more special compound it could be around 2-5sek on the NOS - as long it is street legal and not that far away from the regular Cup2. So the GT R time is still a blast.

25% are buying such cars based on good feelings during driving and based on having fun with challenging himself.
75% are buying such cars based on good feelings during ownership and getting props on a parking lot.

if you would look at each sale / each owner of 991GT3RS, GT R, etc. maybe it is in reality even 10+90%. but its ok like this. to everybody his own.

underlined with this ratio we see laptimes are selling cars. better than emotions do. but thanks to the success of 991R i hope some more companies (especially BMW) will jump on this train.
a MB can drive "synthetic" - lets face it the MB fan base do not know the other side.
anyhow MB is moving in the right direction! BMW in the opposite one. Porsche and Ferrari are on track.

Last edited by jo_ker; 12-19-2016 at 04:42 AM.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R