OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:53 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JarmoL
This is what the actual driver said:

Christian Gebhardt / sport auto:" No slicks or cutted slick-tyres were used for the lap time. AMG will offer two different versions of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for the AMG GT R. A normal one, like it is available for the GT S, and a special one for track driving with a more sticky compound. BUT: Both versions of Cup 2 for the AMG GT R are fully street legal! You can compare the sticky Cup 2 for AMG GT R with the Cup 2 for the Corvette Z06. The grip level feels pretty similar! We, sport auto, would never ever drive a production car with slicks. It was a serious press test! "

So, like I wrote initially.. It is very fast car but who knows how much difference these special tires make. Or whether other manufacturers use something like those as well?
I've ran quite a few sets of the Z06 Cup 2's on my Z06. They will last 2-3 days if you're going for a pace around 90% of the car's capability. If want to stay above 95%, they will last about 1.5 days. Assuming normal trackday sessions.

Could the GT-R compound be even more aggressive with shorter life? maybe but we only know what we've been told.

Ultimately, it's a great lap and the car seems to have considerable pace in it. It'll make rounds at other tracks so we'll get an overall performance envelope not just one instance.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:37 AM
loungedog
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
Again, nowhere does the driver state he drove on "special tires",... That may well indeed be offered by AMG on the AMG GT R
can you post a link showing that the lap time was performed by special tires?
if not then you don't know what you are talking about right
I guess some people can't accept that Mercedes just put out a very quick car wearing quick "road legal" tires.

The GTR looks legit and Porsche and Ferrari need to up their game. All good for the consumer.

I remember when the 996 tt broke the 8 minute mark with 7:50 mark when they were released back in 2001. Amazing how far road legal sports cars have come.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

If the GT-R lap time was set with an extra grippy version of the Cup 2, that does need to be accounted for when comparing with the Porsches.

For that matter, the N1 of the RS seems to have more grip than the N0 of the GT3, so even within Porsches we're not apples to apples.

Then add the factor that tires with more grip tend to not last as long, so the operating cost goes up.

I'd like more data so that we can better judge the lap times of these cars if they had equal tires.

But there's no denying that the GT-R is wicked fast, and much of that is due to aero, suspension, handling, and power/torque, not just tires. Maybe the designers of the GT-R have been hanging out with the F1 engineers.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:49 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to rain on anyone's parade here but just so we can be factual, Nissan entered the GTR in the N24 like Porsche did. The car finished and finished well just like the GT3 RS.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...elopment-video

I have yet to hear anything about how the car wasn't standard but for the few minor tweaks that were made (spelled out in the press release/article). With that in mind, I may not like the GTR or prefer that type of approach to going quickly but I do have a massive amount of respect for that kind of durability. I don't think there are many brands that build cars to that type of standard. If AMG has done something similar with this car I'd consider it truly special. It must be so tempting to cut corners to keep costs down or to make parts that aren't as durable as they could be for this kind of event with the intent of going that little bit faster.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Any car that is entered the 24H of NRing without mods except for safety, earns my respect.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:45 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

the five AMG GT3 which were driving in 2016 the 24N - had still the 6,2l NA engine in.

lets see what will happen in 2017.

nevertheless 2016 was with 1st until 4th a blast for MB! http://www.motorsport-xl.de/document...uYWwucGRm.html
but yeah... GT3 / SP9 cars... lets take the BMW M6 for example regarding "stock" / close-to-production vehicle....
Old 12-20-2016, 02:49 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
I've ran quite a few sets of the Z06 Cup 2's on my Z06. They will last 2-3 days if you're going for a pace around 90% of the car's capability. If want to stay above 95%, they will last about 1.5 days. Assuming normal trackday sessions.

Could the GT-R compound be even more aggressive with shorter life? maybe but we only know what we've been told.

Ultimately, it's a great lap and the car seems to have considerable pace in it. It'll make rounds at other tracks so we'll get an overall performance envelope not just one instance.
Within the test, Christian also wrote that the special version of Cup2's on GTR has similar mechanical grip as the Corvette spec Cup 2s.

I believe the N1 Cup2s on GT3 RS and GT4 are based on the Cup2 development from 918 Spyder. Hence I expected that N1 Cup2s has better grip than N0 Cup2s.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:52 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have ordered one, but non-binding.
They will check and tell me if I will get one or not in January. It seems that marketing is deciding who will get a car - at least in Germany
Old 12-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
the five AMG GT3 which were driving in 2016 the 24N - had still the 6,2l NA engine in.

lets see what will happen in 2017.

nevertheless 2016 was with 1st until 4th a blast for MB! http://www.motorsport-xl.de/document...uYWwucGRm.html
but yeah... GT3 / SP9 cars... lets take the BMW M6 for example regarding "stock" / close-to-production vehicle....
Huge difference between:

Factory race car homologated for GT3 races in a 24 hour race
vs.
Factory takes street legal high performance car, adds the bare minimum of safety equipment, competes in 24 hour race and notches respectable finish
Old 12-20-2016, 10:23 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:45 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stgrt
A company can use any tires they want and I think the only fair comparison is using the tires a company intended the car to come with. I do not see why a car should be written off for using better tires. It would seem reasonable for a performance car to come with the best tires that meet the requirements outlined by the designers.

Using the same tires can provide some interesting information but I think it skews the comparison in such a way that you are no longer really comparing the two cars based on how the engineers intended them to perform. If one car uses worse tires then all blames rests on that car's manufacturer for not using better tires.
I like/respect how you worded this. It makes a whole lot of sense.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stgrt
A company can use any tires they want and I think the only fair comparison is using the tires a company intended the car to come with. I do not see why a car should be written off for using better tires. It would seem reasonable for a performance car to come with the best tires that meet the requirements outlined by the designers.

Using the same tires can provide some interesting information but I think it skews the comparison in such a way that you are no longer really comparing the two cars based on how the engineers intended them to perform. If one car uses worse tires then all blames rests on that car's manufacturer for not using better tires.
But tires can be changed (assuming correct sizes are available) and, while perhaps optimized for a particular tire, these cars generally work fine with tires of different grip levels.

Also, the grippier tires tend to not last as long, so the comparison isn't really fair if an extra grippy version of the Cup 2 lasts only two days whereas a less grippy version lasts say six or more days. I personally am not interested in paying for an incremental increase in grip if the tire operating cost increases by a factor of 2x or more.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

^ Tires are by far the biggest factor affecting lap times which can easily be changed.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R