Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:38 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I think the convertible one looks decent. May watch for a cheap used one in a few years.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:52 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'd love to try one on track some time.
Hell yes ! I don't really care about the badge of a car anyway. Give me performance and reliability over a badge anyday !
Old 02-09-2017, 12:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,247 Likes on 610 Posts

The earliest GTS had quality control issues, one of our mclaren customers complained and had it lemon lawed.

The GTR is bad ***. I want to try one.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:58 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Let s say it all they had a critical and dangerous trasmission fault

or it is only porsche under investigation in this forum?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Let s say it all they had a critical and dangerous trasmission fault

or it is only porsche under investigation in this forum?
What transmission fault on the DCT are you referring to?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Bearing seals were defective causing leaks internally which is NOT visible. Known issue from many owners domestic and foreign. GT-S first adopters were affected mainly. Many buy backs from M-Benz AMG. This is just one of many "Quality" issues with the early issue of the AMG GT-S. One main reason why resale value is like a good sinker if you like to go deep sea fishing, due to quality issues especially for the current flagship taking the place of SLS. Buy them used to avoid HUGE depreciation and at the same time sort out the kinks and defective mechanicals and electricals.

Many of those affected AMG GT-S owners ended up buying the PORSCHE GT series car (i.e., GT3RS, GT3, GT4).

"According to Autoblog, MBUSA has issued a voluntary recall for 135 GT S coupes built for the 2016 model year between June 1 and July 24, 2015. At issue is a potential fault with the carbon-fiber driveshaft. More specifically, the problem stems from an adhesive bond between the driveshaft and the flange that could cause a loss of power to the rear wheels.

The good news is that no injuries have been reported due to the faulty part. But those who own one of the potentially affected GT S models will be receiving recall notices this month to see if the driveshaft needs to be replaced.

For more information, owners can call (1-800-367-6372)
."

PORSCHES have better and higher reliability and dependability when it comes to track use. Mercedes Benz AMG is a great luxury car that can be used at the track given the proper mods with tuners (i.e., Weistec, RennTech) to alleviate power, reliability, and dependability issues.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 02-09-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Yeah the drive shafts were proactively replaced on a 130 cars. But to be clear no DCT problems. No cars are without initial build problems as GT3 owners with new engines can attest.

Having these issues are a 3rd world problem for sure. We're lucky to have such problems.

Speaking of value, it seems the GTR has been clipped (wing?) 1/2 of its projected value in the last couple of months.

I look forward to comps on both 2018 AMG and GT3.2.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:52 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Proactively replaced? The first few owners were the ones who discovered them as they brought it to the attention of the service guys when they took their car to the dealer on several issues on their GT-S (e.g., squeaks, rattles, burning oil smell, peeling paint, etc., etc.). It wasn't like Mercedes Benz issued a stop sale. They did not do that on those poor quality AMG GT-S. Unlike the GT3 replacement engines, after the known four engine fires, PORSCHE stopped sale and replaced, not just fix and replaced defective parts but replaced the GT3 engines with a new one.

Mercedes Benz quality have declined and they were not forth coming to admit there were serious drive shaft issues. It was SO BAD, Mercedes Benz had to "Buy Back" those atrocious and defective AMG GT-S. Unlike PORSCHE they replaced the defective engines with new ones. That shows confidence that PORSCHE have isolated the problem. Whereas with Mercedes Benz AMG, a "Buy Back" is the worst case scenario for the manufacturer Mercedes Benz. That proves and shows the car is truly defective and to stop any further aggravation to the customer, they performed a "Buy Back" program. That in itself while displays lack of confidence in their product, it was also a nice gesture by Mercedes Benz to "Buy Back" their defective product, but of course they hit the owners with some depreciation. We know how much hit the owner will take from depreciation, correct?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Porsche did offer a buyback on the GT3 or gave people the option to wait for a replacement - some people up to 8 months from memory? I'm sure the bought back AMG GT Ss will end up back as CPO cars after the driveshafts are replaced. It's probably a cleaner way to do it vs the loaner/compensation/recall approach Porsche took on the GT3.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:22 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I received the driveshaft recall and was directed to take it in to MBenz and have it inspected, my 2016 was one of the 135 cars in the recall window;
I took it in and it was fine.
My understanding is it's the "Edition 1s" GT S's are the ones that have issues.
I've had mine (not an Edition 1) for a year as a daily driver and it's been great, zero problems.
Before that I daily drove a 997 4s for 6 years, it was very good also.
I've had a much better experience at the MBenz dealership than the Porsche dealership here, by a wide margin.
I really like this car, it's a blast.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:33 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a somewhat similar recall on a Range Rover I owned years back, different failure cause but if it fails similar result
(The Range Rover dealership fixed it n/c and gave me a $100 account credit, they are pretty good here. I had a telescopic function of the steering wheel recall done also, I was driving and it slid all the way forward lol, bit of a shock, I guess the gearing failed...)
It was a good vehicle, daily driver, put 60k km on it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/05/n...vers-recalled/

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08V635000 EA07012
NHTSA Action Number: EA07012

Component: POWER TRAINRIVELINERIVESHAFT
Potential Number of Units Affected: 19168

Summary:
LAND ROVER IS RECALLING 19,168 MY 2003-2005 RANGE ROVER VEHICLES. THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL COUPLING SLEEVE AND THE PROPELLER SHAFT MAY BE MISALIGNED, RESULTING IN SPLINE WEAR OVER A PERIOD OF TIME. AS THE WEAR BETWEEN THE PROPELLER SHAFT AND THE DIFFERENTIAL SPLINE COUPLING PROGRESSES, NOISE AND VIBRATION ARE EXPECTED.

Consequence:
CONTINUED VEHICLE OPERATION CAN EVENTUALLY RESULT IN THE SPLINES SHEARING AND A LOSS OF DRIVE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A REVISED DESIGN OF THE PROPELLER SHAFT, THE FLANGE KIT AND HEAT SHIELD KIT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT JANUARY 6, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT LAND ROVER AT 1-313-594-7688.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Default Roll Cage

Just an FYI

Name:  IMG_1143.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  91.7 KB
Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

BEAUTY !
Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Proactively replaced? The first few owners were the ones who discovered them as they brought it to the attention of the service guys when they took their car to the dealer on several issues on their GT-S (e.g., squeaks, rattles, burning oil smell, peeling paint, etc., etc.). It wasn't like Mercedes Benz issued a stop sale. They did not do that on those poor quality AMG GT-S. Unlike the GT3 replacement engines, after the known four engine fires, PORSCHE stopped sale and replaced, not just fix and replaced defective parts but replaced the GT3 engines with a new one.

Mercedes Benz quality have declined and they were not forth coming to admit there were serious drive shaft issues. It was SO BAD, Mercedes Benz had to "Buy Back" those atrocious and defective AMG GT-S. Unlike PORSCHE they replaced the defective engines with new ones. That shows confidence that PORSCHE have isolated the problem. Whereas with Mercedes Benz AMG, a "Buy Back" is the worst case scenario for the manufacturer Mercedes Benz. That proves and shows the car is truly defective and to stop any further aggravation to the customer, they performed a "Buy Back" program. That in itself while displays lack of confidence in their product, it was also a nice gesture by Mercedes Benz to "Buy Back" their defective product, but of course they hit the owners with some depreciation. We know how much hit the owner will take from depreciation, correct?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
This is interesting. Are there links to forum discussions spelling out the details?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

158K a bargain. I thought it would be at least 175K.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/06/2018-merecedes-amg-gt-r-coupe-price-157995/?hcid=hp-tile-small-1

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R