Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:39 AM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:46 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
get a gtr nismo then. Wipes the floor with both of them.
The problem with the GTR is it cant do it lap after lap (heat issues), so not a great car for people wanting to track regularly.

In any case, I have no interest in either (has to be a manual for me), just explaining why people focus on lap times.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:23 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

get a gtr nismo then. Wipes the floor with both of them.
No, it doesn't.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Why does a Nurburgring lap time that most likely no one in forum can duplicate matter. My opinion is nothing like a naturally aspirated engine hands down. Not worth a few seconds on the Nurburgring
since this will be my first porsche. Maybe im not as touchy feely about another manufacturer making a car that runs a track i will never be on faster than the one i have on order. I ordered the car for the sound, the revs, and the whole experience. Maybe im the crazy one. If you offered me a gtr merc right now for free i would still rather be waiting for delivery of my rs.
Originally Posted by Bardman
Its called competition. In the 100 meter sprint, everyone talks about the winner, not who came second. The gt3 RS has had a lot of money poured into it so that it can achieve quick lap times. It's very important for the brand. As soon as you concede that it's not about speed / lap times, you have to question a lot of what makes the RS what it is. The wing on the tail makes it hard to see out the back, the front splitter scrapes all the time, pdk makes it less fun to shift etc.

I have no doubt Porsche will have taken note of that lap time and will also be conscious that the black series is still to come.
Indeed.

And to take the analogy one step further, no one picks the "best" 100M runner based on the shoes their wearing, or the size of their biceps. It's all about time from 0M to 100M.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:26 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

AMG GT R and GT3/RS have nothing in common and shouldn t be compared

personally a 4.4 NA rear engine
(or a 3.8 NA 9k revving plus hybrid torque boosting)
gives better overall feeling than any front mounted engine

the real kick in the *** (eventually)
would come if next GT2 RS
is not equal or better than 7.10s on the Ring when driven by a non factory driver

but i don t care bc i don t like turbos
Old 12-18-2016, 01:32 AM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, it doesn't.

The response was based solely on the lap time being the end all be all. It not. Also forgot to mention the viper acr.

The rs is a 2016
the amg gtr is a 2018

whatever comes next will be faster than both. That the way they keep everyone consuming them.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:36 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The response was based solely on the lap time being the end all be all. It not. Also forgot to mention the viper acr.

The rs is a 2016
the amg gtr is a 2018

whatever comes next will be faster than both. That the way they keep everyone consuming them.
Agree that improvement is what evolution brings us.

But the lap time that the GT R set on the 'Ring versus its predecessors is not just evolutionary, but revolutionary. Sort of like Bonds hitting 73 home runs in a single year. It didn't just break the Maris/McGwire/Sosa barrier, but shattered it.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:05 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

The rs is a 2016
the amg gtr is a 2018

There is a huge difference between NISMO and ACR N-ring times - ACR is crushing everything even when driven by regular car enthusiasts, and the Nismo's N-ring time looks like some kind of sorcery that no one ever replicated on another track in real life - it barely catches regular GT3s and for a couple laps at a time only.

N-ring time is a good measure or a car's performance (even if you never will drive that track), and the GT R's lap looks extraordinary fast. Does not mean it's the most fun to drive, but you can apply exactly the same argument to the RS.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:50 AM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:10 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Agree that improvement is what evolution brings us.

But the lap time that the GT R set on the 'Ring versus its predecessors is not just evolutionary, but revolutionary. Sort of like Bonds hitting 73 home runs in a single year. It didn't just break the Maris/McGwire/Sosa barrier, but shattered it.
Agree that the lap time is truly impressive. And what's even more impressive is the price considering the level of performance on offer. Indeed, I have fully spec'd and ordered a GTR for less than the MSRP of a base RS in Europe.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:58 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Laptime is one thing having fun is another thing.

How come so many Porsche Turbo guys switch to GT3/GT3RS even though the Turbo is faster?
I don't know the answer, never driven a Turbo.
BTW: I'm not saying the GT R is not fun.

I find it interesting that many of us buy these car without driving the car - not even on street - we just hope that it is the right car for how we want to use it.

One thing that think is important when driving on the Ring is how many laps you can do before car is overheating.

Nissan: 2 laps (Guesstimate)
BMW: 2 laps (Guesstimate)
AMG GT R: ?

Porsche GT3/RS: Never

Imagine doing two laps, getting into the mood, coming back to the pits just to see your best friend go onto the track and not being able to join because the car can't handle it?
Old 12-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
I find it interesting that many of us buy these car without driving the car - not even on street - we just hope that it is the right car for how we want to use it.
Because we have no choice. Perhaps one of the reasons we put so much stock in EVO reviews and Nurburgring lap times.

Originally Posted by Kobalt
One thing that think is important when driving on the Ring is how many laps you can do before car is overheating.

Nissan: 2 laps (Guesstimate)
BMW: 2 laps (Guesstimate)
AMG GT R: ?

Porsche GT3/RS: Never

Imagine doing two laps, getting into the mood, coming back to the pits just to see your best friend go onto the track and not being able to join because the car can't handle it?
Earlier in the thread it mentions that the best lap time set for the GT R was on lap 7 of 7 laps. If its setting its best time after almost 3/4 an hour of punishing driving, it seems it can take a bit of a beating.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:35 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Earlier in the thread it mentions that the best lap time set for the GT R was on lap 7 of 7 laps. If its setting its best time after almost 3/4 an hour of punishing driving, it seems it can take a bit of a beating.
Think it was lap 6 but nevertheless good enough
Old 12-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

If the GT-R proves to be durable on track, IMO Mercedes has delivered quite a blow to Porsche, considering that this car is significantly faster than the RS on track, is comfortable enough to be a daily driver, has decent storage space, has more flexibility with settings than Porsches, is priced similar to the RS, looks to be more readily available than Porsches, has the German engineering that many of us appreciate, and the reviews so far indicate that it's a hoot to drive.

And let's not forget the engine issue with the Porsches, and the fact that the warranty for the '15 and later cars gives Porsche an out to deny coverage if the car has been tracked.

I'm glad that another manufacturer, especially a German one, has stepped up and presented serious competition to Porsche for track cars in the $100K to $200K price range (again, assuming the GT-R is durable on track, otherwise Porsche still just about has a monopoly).
Old 12-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stgrt
In this case, a lap time by itself does not really matter. The lap time relative to another car provides an idea of the car's engineering and value. Few buyers could set a record lap time in any of these cars but the lap times still give a sense of what you are purchasing from an engineering and value stand point.

A lap time does not provide in depth knowledge of a car or tell you anything about the experience it provides. A car with a completely miserable driving experience could set lap times far faster than anything in its price range. On the other hand, an incredibly fun car could set very slow lap times relative to its competition.

Lap times can validate or invalidate your notions about certain aspects of a car, most notably its performance. If two equally priced cars have very different lap times you are, in some ways, getting more for your money if you purchase the faster car. The slower car may have some qualitative factors that make it more enjoyable to drive, so in other ways you are getting more if you buy the slower car. It comes down to your viewpoint and what you value.

In the end, people just enjoy talking about the fastest car out or the fastest car they like. Lap times are often just something people find fun to talk about because, after all, cars are just a hobby for most people here.
To extend this logic, watch the same driver from the magazine drive a very nervous Ferrari 488 on the ring. For me 488 car is NOT enjoyable after watching that GTR video.

What was evident to me was how easy he made that lap time. And this is a Benchmark track make no mistake. Benchmark are not just a lap time IMO.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R