Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Pulls much harder than RS. Haven't heard that one.
It does. Less inertia, lighter weight and no drag. I was on track with RSs and the R is faster in a straight line
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
It does. Less inertia, lighter weight and no drag. I was on track with RSs and the R is faster in a straight line
So LWFW manual beats PDK-s? Pdk-s feels instanteous when you drive it.. either that's that's some seriously impressive shifting talent you got, or the LWFW seriously reduces mass and adds effective power transfer to the wheels. I'm surprised.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So LWFW manual beats PDK-s? Pdk-s feels instanteous when you drive it.. either that's that's some seriously impressive shifting talent you got, or the LWFW seriously reduces mass and adds effective power transfer to the wheels. I'm surprised.
I assume they mean pull while in gear.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

All I want is to have those that said the 9A1 GT3/RS/R engine spins too fast for a manual(they know who they are) come back and explain to us how that works...
Old 01-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

I think the PDK also has an impact. If you look at the Porsche press release on the new GTS, the manual is quoted as being the fastest top speed. "The speed machine"

I know a few people who have R and RS, and all agree. (That big wing has got to have an effect as well).

PS - not just in gear, but through the gears.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 304 Posts

I call complete and utter BS. RS keeps up with cars with way more quoted WHP because of PDK. Even Senna can't make up that shifting deficit!!
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

So why is the manual GTS faster in a straight line..?

Manual cars don't come to a halt while you shift...
Old 01-10-2017, 05:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,026 Likes on 2,840 Posts

I think the PDK also has an impact. If you look at the Porsche press release on the new GTS, the manual is quoted as being the fastest top speed. "The speed machine"

I know a few people who have R and RS, and all agree. (That big wing has got to have an effect as well).

PS - not just in gear, but through the gears.
The wide body (including wheels/tires) and big wing certainly are not as slippery as the R at high speed. I could see the R having better high speed acceleration in a straight line (it has a 7 mph higher top speed for these reasons). Not sure that translates to better acceleration from low speeds though. I would guess some of the difference in feel could come from the different gear ratios (quite different since 6 vs. 7), affecting the pull in gear (depending on road speed and selected gear)...

Last edited by GrantG; 01-10-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
The wide body (including wheels/tires) and big wing certainly are not as slippery as the R at high speed. I could see the R having better high speed acceleration in a straight line (it has a higher top speed for these reasons). Not sure that translates to better acceleration from low speeds though. I would guess some of the difference in feel could come from the different gear ratios (quite different since 6 vs. 7), affecting the pull in gear (depending on road speed and selected gear)...
RS is quicker 0-60 for sure (launch control is one of the factors).
I'm not looking to score points here, just saying that the R is faster through the gears than an RS (probably from about the point that drag kicks in, but the engine feels like it has more power, or less power loss). FWIW, Chris Harris said the same thing if you watch his video.

Apolo will also confirm if he reads this, as he has compared them over a fixed distance.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

RS is quicker 0-60 for sure (launch control is one of the factors).
I'm not looking to score points here, just saying that the R is faster through the gears than an RS (probably from about the point that drag kicks in, but the engine feels like it has more power, or less power loss). FWIW, Chris Harris said the same thing if you watch his video.
There is no doubt that the PDK is less efficient in gear (more loss of power through friction) - just surprised if it's enough to be felt. I'm a waiter for Manual 991.2 GT3, so I don't want to dispel that idea though
Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

R pulls in gear stronger than RS because it has the same engine but:

- is lighter
- has lower drag due to less aero, slim body, narrower tyres
- engine revs up better due to lower rotating mass (lighter rims and tyres which have similar effect to a lightweight flywheel)
- has a lightweight flywheel
- last but not least…PDK absorbs much more power than a manual transmission

Pulling stronger in gear doesn’t mean better acceleration time, the HP’s lost at the wheel by the RS are more than balanced by advantages in upshifting with PDK (no interruption in power flow differently from MT)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dante
R pulls in gear stronger than RS because it has the same engine but:

- is lighter
- has lower drag due to less aero, slim body, narrower tyres
- engine revs up better due to lower rotating mass (lighter rims and tyres which have similar effect to a lightweight flywheel)
- has a lightweight flywheel
- last but not least…PDK absorbs much more power than a manual transmission

Pulling stronger in gear doesn’t mean better acceleration time, the HP’s lost at the wheel by the RS are more than balanced by advantages in upshifting with PDK (no interruption in power flow differently from MT)
And I guess you could have also mentioned the standard PCCB brakes on the R which are lighter (less flywheel effect during acceleration) compared to an RS without PCCB option selected...
Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
And I guess you could have also mentioned the standard PCCB brakes on the R which are lighter (less flywheel effect during acceleration)...
sure, but I always assume that any comparison must be done "coeteris paribus" hence same configuration in this case, that's why i didn't mention them
Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always find it funny that when 911R owners give their own feedback and impressions, the people with 991 RS (and don't own 911R) always try and shoot them down whenever they mention something on the 911R that might be better or more positive that the 991 RS.

Especially because the strong majority of 911R owners either own, have owned or have driven the 991 RS enough to compare the two back to back.

In addition to this, i'm hazarding a guess that 911R owners (by the very nature of the clientele selected) have had access to a vast array of Porsche GT cars over the years (996, 997 including 4.0, Carrerra GT).

The constant owner and opinion bashing in the forum only ruins it for everyone. I for one love hearing about owners personal feedback.

The above is coming from someone who owns neither the 991RS nor the 911R.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:33 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R is 50 kg lighter than the 991 RS and has the same power and similar overall gearing in the first four gears so acceleration is greater. Just the gearshift times make the 0-whatever figures lower for the RS.

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions