Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the red one.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suitcase
There were only 20 cars. A brand new one sat in my garage for a couple of years. The unicorn of unicorns. But I never drove it. I sat in it a lot and that's how I know about the window winders.
Oh man! That would be like having a supermodel lying naked on your bed and just sitting down beside her with a cup of tea. Did you get some satisfaction by driving the 959? If so we need the review.

Fully understand if you want to keep it to yourself, but if not, how did you swing the R?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:37 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Thanks for sharing your experiences,

As a owner of 996rs and 997rs4.0 I can't wait to drive the 991R.
And I will admit that I was wrong in my opinion that it was just a parts bin, blah, blah, and regret not trying harder to get one.

Amazing how some cars talk to you more than others.
My 2 RS cars sits on a different continent. I also live in Florida at the moment. So when I get a chance to drive them I always grab the keys for the 997rs4.0! Don't get me wrong. The 996rs is an amazing car. But, similar to you. There is always one that's makes you look back and want to get straight back into the drivers seat and go again.
What are the differences between your two RSs in steering feel, handling, ride, engine thrills, etc?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
What are the differences between your two RSs in steering feel, handling, ride, engine thrills, etc?
It's actually quite hard to explain.

In one way it's amazing how much Porsche did in the 7 years between the 996rs and the 4.0. And on the other hand they have way more in common than the 997 and 991. The 997 feels so much more stabile and predictable than the 996.

Both cars have amazing steering feel.
The 997rs4.0 is miles better on the road. The 996rs is a handful when you push it and the road is not track smooth.
996rs engines are known to be more powerful than the regular 996.2gt3 even if the paperwork say they are the same. It's a well balanced power plant to the chassi. So is the 4.0.

My track rat is a 996.2gt3 with a lot of upgrades so that probably makes it harder to judge the 996rs in a honest and not partial way. We all know how modifications can improve a car.

The stock 996rs lacks in one big department. Sound. My car is low miles and 100% stock.

As I said before. Every time I turn around and look at them I always grab the keys for the 4.0l

It's just a very special car.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 959

I drove the 959 extensively. It even went to Target. But not to Whole Foods!!! I purchased the car from the original owner who I still see from time to time. The 959 is beautiful. I don't think photos really do the compound curves justice. Especially on the rear. Almost Moby Dick like. You need to wash the car to appreciate it. The systems engineered into the car were revolutionary. But from a user standpoint they were maybe just not quite ready. The cars complexity maybe required a more digital approach that was yet to be invented. I did much of the work on the car myself with an old school "air-cooled" tech. He was fantastic and the car was very well sorted out. The Training Center at PCNA fixed the ATE brakes.

I lived on a dirt road for most of the time I owned the car. One of my favorite 959 experiences was to bomb down 63rd street, a paved country road at about 100 mph. Then I'd turn on to the dirt road, change the drive program just after the apex and raise the car with a rooster tail of dust trailing me. Fun.

But the hydraulic suspension really didn't work. I couldn't imagine the car at 200 mph! Or at least I don't want to be in it. The double coil over mechanical suspension on the S model really improves the car. Bruce Canepa does it even better. But my car was probably the only totally untouched car in the U.S. at the time and I didn't want to change it. BTW, the S model is not an RS. It's more a "decontented" 959. While it does have better suspension and really cool center pull seat belts it loses the best right side mirror ever. And you need it! I also remember fearing the car was a "ticking time bomb." When was something going to break that would cost me $200K? Or worse,it could not be fixed at all. Sometimes I miss not having it. I don't miss driving it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-memories.html

The R? I've been a very good customer for a very long time. Find a good dealer, keep a good relationship with them and keep buying cars.

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Oh man! That would be like having a supermodel lying naked on your bed and just sitting down beside her with a cup of tea. Did you get some satisfaction by driving the 959? If so we need the review.

Fully understand if you want to keep it to yourself, but if not, how did you swing the R?
Old 12-01-2016, 05:09 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 556 Likes on 355 Posts

The 911 SC RS is certainly my favorite 911, with the 911 RS 3.0 next

Which one was yours?
I can not understand how you have been able not to drive it
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Default Not driving the SCRS

928cs......At the time the SCRS was a virtually new car that was 25 years old. I doubt if it has 500 miles on it even today. The owner was a close friend and I had a safe place to store it. He didn't drive it either. This car has so much historical significance it's one of a few cars that I believe should be exercised a bit and left alone. The thought of driving it never even crossed my mind.

But in general I believe in driving the cars. People ask me if I will use my R. The answer is yes. I'm not going to live forever. In fact I went to see the clear bra guy yesterday. I'm not a fan of the Porsche graveyard warehouse collection.

Someday I would love a '74 3.0 RS. And I'll drive that too. We'll see what happens. It's funny. Some cars you think you'll love are disappointing. Others are better than you can imagine. My 997.2 3.8 GT3 RS was my best car. How does any sports car really get better than that? And of course the 4.0 is.

A far as my favorite? I've always been partial to my Polar Silver '94 Speedster that I picked up in Zuffenhausen 23 years ago. Some of the cars have a soul. That one does.

And now comes the 911 R.

Originally Posted by 928cs
The 911 SC RS is certainly my favorite 911, with the 911 RS 3.0 next

Which one was yours?
I can not understand how you have been able not to drive it
Old 12-01-2016, 09:12 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I love these posts... thanks for sharing guys!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:28 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 556 Likes on 355 Posts

928cs......At the time the SCRS was a virtually new car that was 25 years old. I doubt if it has 500 miles on it even today. The owner was a close friend and I had a safe place to store it. He didn't drive it either. This car has so much historical significance it's one of a few cars that I believe should be exercised a bit and left alone. The thought of driving it never even crossed my mind.

But in general I believe in driving the cars. People ask me if I will use my R. The answer is yes. I'm not going to live forever. In fact I went to see the clear bra guy yesterday. I'm not a fan of the Porsche graveyard warehouse collection.

Someday I would love a '74 3.0 RS. And I'll drive that too. We'll see what happens. It's funny. Some cars you think you'll love are disappointing. Others are better than you can imagine. My 997.2 3.8 GT3 RS was my best car. How does any sports car really get better than that? And of course the 4.0 is.

A far as my favorite? I've always been partial to my Polar Silver '94 Speedster that I picked up in Zuffenhausen 23 years ago. Some of the cars have a soul. That one does.

And now comes the 911 R.
Poor SC-RS
A car is build to be driven, and hard for a racing car like this one.
Well, at least this one can be used as a reference to restore the others properly

Thank for sharing your impressions.

And I really agree with you on two things:
- Some cars have a soul.
- We do not live forever and we must enjoy the cars now. I'm glad to have done around 50,000 km on the wheel of my 928 CS when I had it. With only 19 made and a value rising, I don't think anybody will beat me soon

I will certainly see a brand new R this weekend and hope to have a ride in it. I hope this car is a good as you say. The owner has also tested a preproduction one and was impressed.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Thanks for more great reviews, 997rs4.0 and Suitcase.

Your comment, 997rs4.0, about how much more stable and predictable the 997 4.0 is compared to the 996 RS certainly agrees with my experience of 997 4.0 and 997.1 RS vs 996.1 GT3. Even at the higher speeds possible in the 997s they inspire much more confidence, encouraging you to get them moving around rather than threatening to bite.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:12 AM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm lucky to have the holy trinity : RS 4.0, 991 RS & R

I could make a thorough comparison at spring
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Default Thank you

Thank you. That would be great and I know we RL readers will enjoy it.

Originally Posted by rickman_fr

Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

So "SC" does stand for SuperCar! I always knew that.

P.S. Many thanks to all for sharing the special stories in this thread!

I have friends that have all the important 911s'. Two of those people tell me that the absolute best 911 is the '84 SCRS. If there was ever a "parts bin" special this is it; '69 vintage 917 brakes, 10 year old RSR Suspension, 10 year old 3.0 RSR mechanically injected motor, 935 seats and VW window winders! There were only 20 cars. A brand new one sat in my garage for a couple of years. The unicorn of unicorns. But I never drove it. I sat in it a lot and that's how I know about the window winders. This was a factory Grouppe B rally car and a true parts bin special. Porsche has been smart and cheap over the years with very often spectacular results.

Yes the 911 R was developed from a mix of existing stuff. I first heard it was going to be a narrow body car. It's lighter. But the suspension from the GT3 was already developed for the C4 body. And what's wrong with a naturally aspirated 4 litre 500 Hp + motor that had already been developed for the RS? I love 918 seats. I've even slept in them on occasion in Europe when I picked up my Boxster Spyder.

More apparent to me (as my previous post states) during my short visit to "Mecca" was how proud the people we respect the most feel about this car. Maybe it is a parts bin special. But it's a really, really good one.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:03 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman_fr

Very nice, looking forward to your comparison.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:38 AM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 65 Posts

Suitcase, 997rs4.0, turbofreeFLAT6, 928cs, jo_ker, and others
Good fun learning about special 911s from your comments - thank you for posting!

rickman_fr - look forward to reading your views!

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions