Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to me if you add up all the people in US who have been told by dealers that it's '918 VIP only', you will get to about 10,000 918 owners!

easy and convenient excuse for dealers to skip people and sell to a higher bidder, IMO. (but not in every case, I'm sure)

There are something like 250 918 owners in US who are on the VIP program. Does not eat up all the production in US, never mind RoW where a 918 isn't even close to a guarantee.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Apparently me.
Imv, everyone who has demonstrated serious interest early enough, will get one. Just not from the first batch, which will go to VIP's and 918 owners... Obviously...
Old 08-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
in a German forum a trustable future GT2RS owner wrote:

TWO NEW COLORS: Arena Red and Brewster Green

maybe somehow a "soft PTS" as it was with the .1 GT3RS with yellow, black and mexico if i remember well? because in the configurator is currently nothing new...
yellow, black and miami, but yes you're correct. bear in mind few were able to take advantage of these colors so they ended up almost as difficult to get as PTS.

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I was in the meeting yesterday with the concerned owners group and asked Frank Walliser head of GT cars about production levels for the GT2RS and he said this will not be a numbered car and that they will produce enough cars -1 for those that want one. He stated they made a mistake with the 911R by not producing enough cars which created ill will from those that didn't get one..
indeed, that's been the message from day one. but that -1 one is the trick isn't it? 8yrs into an expansion, with the market in full froth, dealers manipulating demand, and a $350k reach. not an easy task to suss real demand and the downside if they get it wrong could be sizable....
Old 08-04-2017, 12:11 PM
GT288
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Yes, but try and get yourself a LaFerrai, an F12TDF or a 458 Special Aperta and see how different it is...

Also, the 918 VIPs only apply in USofA. In the RoW, lots of 918 owners are not getting allocated these cars, and there is an attempt to spread things around.
Which is why you should buy one overseas and import it. It is not hard at all
Old 08-04-2017, 12:12 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boyko23
Imv, everyone who has demonstrated serious interest early enough, will get one. Just not from the first batch, which will go to VIP's and 918 owners... Obviously...
My request was to take European Delivery in July 2018, so I'm not even asking for an early car.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Alastair R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me if you add up all the people in US who have been told by dealers that it's '918 VIP only', you will get to about 10,000 918 owners!

easy and convenient excuse for dealers to skip people and sell to a higher bidder, IMO. (but not in every case, I'm sure)

There are something like 250 918 owners in US who are on the VIP program. Does not eat up all the production in US, never mind RoW where a 918 isn't even close to a guarantee.
At least with Ferrari, it's a known system designed to reward long-standing customers, especially to buy a special like La Ferrari.

With Porsche, all you had to do is buy a 918 and could skip over long-standing owners of 911 GT3/GT2/RS owners even if had no 911 history. As a principle, it stinks and I believe the "918 owner" first system operates unofficially in other countries too. I can think of several 918 buyers in line for GT2 RS with little in way of 911 ownership. I blame Porsche, not them though.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:36 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alastair R
At least with Ferrari, it's a known system designed to reward long-standing customers, especially to buy a special like La Ferrari.

With Porsche, all you had to do is buy a 918 and could skip over long-standing owners of 911 GT3/GT2/RS owners even if had no 911 history. As a principle, it stinks and I believe the "918 owner" first system operates unofficially in other countries too. I can think of several 918 buyers in line for GT2 RS with little in way of 911 ownership. I blame Porsche, not them though.
Absolutely agree.

I'm not a time traveler, so I can't go back in time and buy a 918. So now I have to "pay the price" of never being able to purchase a limited production Porsche for the last three runs (911R, GT3RS, and now possibly GT2RS), and who knows how many more?

It's total BS. A big turnoff.

It's not like Ferrari limits purchase of TDF's, Speciales, etc ONLY to LaF owners. If you are active with a Ferrari dealer, regularly buy cars, keep the relationship going, you can and will have the opportunity to order and purchase limited production models such as the TDF and Speciale... I know this for a fact, because I've done it!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:46 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Those of you that are praising and claiming Ferrari and it's dealers are easier and more straightforward to deal with HAVE LOST YOUR MINDS!!!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:49 PM
CHADW
Racer

If you are active with a Ferrari dealer, regularly buy cars, keep the relationship going, you can and will have the opportunity to order and purchase limited production models such as the TDF and Speciale... I know this for a fact, because I've done it!
If you are active with a Porsche dealer, regularly buy cars, keep the relationship going, you can and will have the opportunity to order and purchase limited production models such as the GT3RS and GT2RS... I know this for a fact, because I've done it!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CHADW
If you are active with a Porsche dealer, regularly buy cars, keep the relationship going, you can and will have the opportunity to order and purchase limited production models such as the GT3RS and GT2RS... I know this for a fact, because I've done it!
Okay, in the last 3 years, I have bought:

Brand new 911 TT
Brand new Macan T
Brand new black GT3
Brand new white GT3

Also traded a 2005 C2S on the 911 TT, and sold the Macan on consignment through said dealer. So that's basically a total of six deals (four purchases, one trade, one consignment sale) in three years.

(I'd call that pretty active, wouldn't you?)

Important additional note: I placed a deposit THREE YEARS AGO for a GT2RS.

And still I'm being told that I'm behind the 918 owners in line for the GT2RS, and that I'll likely not get one because there won't be enough allocations.

Now what say you?
Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 PM
CHADW
Racer

Brand new 911 TT
Brand new Macan T
Brand new black GT3
Brand new white GT3

Also traded a 2005 C2S on the 911 TT, and sold the Macan on consignment through said dealer. So that's basically a total of six deals (four purchases, one trade, one consignment sale) in three years.

And still I'm being told that I'm behind the 918 owners in line for the GT2RS, and that I'll likely not get one because there won't be enough allocations.

Now what say you?
i would say if you placed a deposit three years ago and were told you were number one then you should get their first non-918 car. Anything less is a shady dealer and I'm sorry that happened to you, as it happens to others from time to time.

As for your purchase history, ask your dealer how many customers have bought more regular cars in the last 6 months than you have bought in the last 6 years. I promise you will be surprised.

Please keep in mind you don't get extra credit for buying GT cars. They are treats and sell themselves.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brand new 911 TT
Brand new Macan T
Brand new black GT3
Brand new white GT3

Now what say you?
100% think you should be able to buy what you want, but I would still say that the 918 thing is a smokescreen...

There are thousands of GT2RS coming out. For example, I'd estimate 2RS allocations are around 3-3.5 times what the R allocations were, and that;s if there's only one wave of production.
250 US 918 owners are not going to corner the market in US, never mind RoW.

And, the problem is that most (not all) people I know (and this is genuine), who have an allocation for a GT2RS are not in any 918 programme, but spend in excess of your 3 year total each year on Porsche. (and they will all track their GT2Rs without a garage queen amongst them)

So, yes there should be more cars - that's being addressed I think, but if there's not enough, it's always difficult to judge the 'most worthy' without knowing what others are doing or spending.

One thing i don't agree with is that placing a deposit should get priority - the logical extension of that is that i place a deposit now on a 992 GT3RS, buy a Macan or two in the meantime, and wait for my allocation, ahead of people who are spending considerably more cash in the meantime, but don't go on Rennlist to find out what's coming next.

It also works 2 ways - I'm fairly hopeful I'm getting a 2RS, but have already said I won't ask for a GT3 or a 3RS. There are a lot of people out there (and I don't include you in this), who are getting worked up about not being allocated cars they wouldn't buy anyway, if it wasn't for the current financial upside.

Porsche can make as many cars as it's possible to produce, but as people think they are being allocated a winning lottery ticket, they will never be able to satisfy demand.

Try going out in the street and deciding who best to allocate a limited supply of $100 bills, and see when demand runs out!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:01 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any idea when we get to see a genuine road test of said machine?
Old 08-04-2017, 02:39 PM
CHADW
Racer

One thing i don't agree with is that placing a deposit should get priority - the logical extension of that is that i place a deposit now on a 992 GT3RS, buy a Macan or two in the meantime, and wait for my allocation, ahead of people who are spending considerably more cash in the meantime, but don't go on Rennlist to find out what's coming next.
This is a great point. I keep hearing about these multi year old blind deposits. For those of you that have started playing this way, think how unfair it would be if your $1000 "deposit" got you in front of guys that buy lots of cars and make the dealer lots of money. It's silly.

I will admit that it is unscrupulous for some dealers to promise these people high priority just so they can hold their money. Uncool.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981
Any idea when we get to see a genuine road test of said machine?
If I had a guess maybe late Sept? I only say that because the 991.2 GT3 was revealed March 7 at Geneva and 2 months later we got road reviews. The GT2 rs was officially revealed June 30 at Goodwood FOS.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS