Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:50 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u will see that a lot of old guards not buying GT2RS, or GT3RS or even GT3...
but there are always new blood coming in to buy
I have to say I agree with this, I don't see much in the way of innovation and I can't be bothered with allocation games etc - so moved my deposit over to a 720S.

Would come back to a GT car if the engine was dropped in the middle wouldn't be bothered if it was FI or NA - heresy I know.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:45 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,291 Posts

I heard that most of the allocations were already handed out...basically to VIPs and VVIPs. I sure hope they hand out more allocations or this will be 991R part 2.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:51 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
I have to say I agree with this, I don't see much in the way of innovation and I can't be bothered with allocation games etc - so moved my deposit over to a 720S.

Would come back to a GT car if the engine was dropped in the middle wouldn't be bothered if it was FI or NA - heresy I know.
Out of curiosity, what GT cars have you owned?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

in a German forum a trustable future GT2RS owner wrote:

TWO NEW COLORS: Arena Red and Brewster Green

maybe somehow a "soft PTS" as it was with the .1 GT3RS with yellow, black and mexico if i remember well? because in the configurator is currently nothing new...
Old 08-04-2017, 06:50 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
...or this will be 991R part 2.
It already is.

Unless you're a member of the 918 VIP club, you've not a chance in hell of getting your hands on this unobtanium. I don't at all like how Porsche is becoming such an elitist brand that only allows its "members only" club folk to purchase it's "limited production models" time and time again... Think: 911R, GT3RS, and now GT2RS.... One after the other. At first it was just leaving a bad taste in my mouth... Now I've decided to take my business elsewhere.

It used to be the case that Ferrari dealerships turned up their noses at you.... Now Porsche dealers are doing it.

I used to be a loyal Porsche customer, until I became not good enough, or rich enough, or cool enough, or "whatever" enough to "qualify" for purchasing Porsche's continual limited production models. So that's why I said screw it.

I've bought three Ferraris in the last two years, and couldn't be happier. As it turns out, the grass is greener on the other side. Not only are they outstanding cars, the purchase experience is much nicer/different. And you don't have to be a member of a special elitist "918 VIP" club in order to qualify for purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by eilig; 08-04-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, but try and get yourself a LaFerrai, an F12TDF or a 458 Special Aperta and see how different it is...

Also, the 918 VIPs only apply in USofA. In the RoW, lots of 918 owners are not getting allocated these cars, and there is an attempt to spread things around.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:04 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Yes, but try and get yourself a LaFerrai, an F12TDF or a 458 Special Aperta and see how different it is...

Also, the 918 VIPs only apply in USofA. In the RoW, lots of 918 owners are not getting allocated these cars, and there is an attempt to spread things around.
Not entirely true... I was able to get a Speciale and a TDF...

I didn't want an Aperta because I don't like open air cars. And I didn't want a LaF because I wouldn't spend that much money.

The Speciale and TDF are fantastic. I love them. The Italia pictured above is something I bought as a hot rod... Lowered 1", added 200 cell race cats, headers, sport exhaust, Challenge Stradale CF race seats, etc. Load of fun and lots of bang for the buck! (I picked up the Italia for under $200k with only 3k miles!)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig

I didn't want an Aperta because I don't like open air cars. And I didn't want a LaF because I wouldn't spend that much money.

The Speciale and TDF are fantastic. I love them. The Italia pictured above is something I bought as a hot rod... Lowered 1", added 200 cell race cats, headers, sport exhaust, Challenge Stradale CF race seats, etc. Load of fun and lots of bang for the buck! (I picked up the Italia for under $200k with only 3k miles!)
fair enough! Did you get those at list? If so, you're in a good place with Ferrari, but my point is still that most people will struggle to get the limited cars from any manufacturer.

Ferrari has a very well developed points system as you will know.

A personal choice, but i have just sold my 488GTB to make way for GT2RS.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:24 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
fair enough! Did you get those at list? If so, you're in a good place with Ferrari, but my point is still that most people will struggle to get the limited cars from any manufacturer.

Ferrari has a very well developed points system as you will know.

A personal choice, but i have just sold my 488GTB to make way for GT2RS.
Yes, the Speciale and TDF were purchased at list. But I should give full disclosure: I've known the owner of the Ferrari dealership for almost 20 years now as a personal friend. So to your point, that's actually why I'm not having to play by their points system. And you are right, it does exist.

In all honesty, I think the Ferrari points system is still more fair than the Porsche "918 VIP" club system. At least with Ferrari, you can "earn" your way up the ladder by buying cars. With Porsche, it's not like I can go back in time and buy a 918. Only time travel would allow you to earn your way into Porsche's special little club.

Good move on dumping the 488, by the way... I was offered one but took a pass after a test drive. I was never able to feel any emotional connection with that car. The sound is blah, the side scoops are God-awful ugly, and the power delivery is strange.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:35 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig

Agree never bought a new Ferrari - dealer took my deposit on a F12tdf - cancelled that deposit and got the first Aventador SV Roadster allocation at the local dealer. F dealer took my deposit again for a 488 GTO.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 08-04-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:22 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I was in the meeting yesterday with the concerned owners group and asked Frank Walliser head of GT cars about production levels for the GT2RS and he said this will not be a numbered car and that they will produce enough cars -1 for those that want one. He stated they made a mistake with the 911R by not producing enough cars which created ill will from those that didn't get one..
Old 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Three years ago I placed a deposit with my local dealer for a GT2 and another deposit for a GT2 RS for if/when they may ever come out. This, he assured me, would put me first in line.

Upon hearing of the GT2 RS a month or two ago, I immediately emailed him my spec, and I was really excited. Then he told me that he knows he is only going to get one or possibly two allocations, and both are going to "918 VIP" members. He said "IF" we end up with a third allocation, which is quite unlikely in his estimation, it "might" go to me.

So as it turns out, those deposits I placed three years ago were a bunch of BS. Just an excuse for my dealer to take money.

As I stated in an earlier post, I'm done with Porsche's games and "members only" club BS. Seriously pathetic.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I was in the meeting yesterday with the concerned owners group and asked Frank Walliser head of GT cars about production levels for the GT2RS and he said this will not be a numbered car and that they will produce enough cars -1 for those that want one. He stated they made a mistake with the 911R by not producing enough cars which created ill will from those that didn't get one..
Talk is cheap. Plus, it's likely not his decision to make. Porsche is a large corporation now, and thus makes "group think" decisions.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
In this scenario, who's the one poor soul that doesn't get one?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:42 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
In this scenario, who's the one poor soul that doesn't get one?
Apparently me.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS