Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I see the biggest problem as a disconnect between PAG and the true desirability of the cars via the customers.

As a customer- I want what I want. And I want a GT2RS. I am willing to buy one.

I think a lot of people latch to "Not limited" in terms of serial numbers...but limited production due to parts etc surely. We have to be realistic.

If Porsche went through the real buyers and eliminated duplicates I bet in North America alone they could find 700-1000 REAL GT2RS buyers. People trust the Porsche brand a lot- and if McLaren sold 1000 675LT's (including spiders) worldwide you have to think Porsche could sell 2000-2500 GT2RS??

Problem is the method for communicating demand and then PCNA demand being adjusted internally is not simple, and it is not changing yet.
I predict they will end up with 2000-2500 2RS, going by allocation numbers already out there. In fact, if you extrapolated 911R alllocations v 2RS allocations to date, you'd end up >3000 cars WW.

There are probably 700-1000 real GT2RS buyers in the US, if everyone knew the size of the production run, but there are probably 2000+ US buyers while everyone thinks there's a shortage and therefore a profit.

Hence the problem, and unfortunately some of the 'real' buyers will lose out to the speculators as allocation system isn't perfect.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:02 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

i had a chat just a couple of days ago with the manager of a local Porsche Centre.

31 signed GT2RS orders incl. prepayment.
for 25+ he would put personally his shirt - that those would drive and track the cars. (no flippers)
he is getting 6 allocations.

Starting with 1.Sept.2017 Euro6c will be valid. All new "Vehicle Types Registrations / aka new main models" have to fullfill 6c.
And starting with 1.Sept.2018 Euro6c will be also valid for all "new Vehicle Registrations".
Here we are speaking for whole EU.

Currently no GT engine is fullfilling 6c.

This is the reason why the EU market comes first in the production plan. And why the 991.2 GT3 RS will just get a EU production window from March.2018 till August.2018.

I don´t know if the GT3 RS is a "new main model" meaning the 1.Sept.2017 or 1.Sept.2018 will be valid for "registration"...
Old 08-08-2017, 02:20 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
There are probably 700-1000 real GT2RS buyers in the US, if everyone knew the size of the production run, but there are probably 2000+ US buyers while everyone thinks there's a shortage and therefore a profit.
I don't think demand for this car is driven by a perceived shortage of the car. As long as Porsche advertises the car as the fastest street legal car they make, demand, in my mind, will stay high. The instant another Porsche (GTRS2, or the like) becomes the fastest street legal car Porsche makes, at that point, the GTRS demand will tank. As well as the price. Second best does not sell well in certain minds, as everyone knows.

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Hence the problem, and unfortunately some of the 'real' buyers will lose out to the speculators as allocation system isn't perfect.
IMO, "real buyers" will not miss out on this car. Preuniger, I read, said he'll produce a car for everyone that wants one. He claims the reason for that is because he doesn't want to generate the same ill will among GT car fans that accompanied the production of a previous, limited production GT variant. I forget which one he mentioned.
Because of the allocation system, as you point out, a local dealer in a wealthy market may run out of these cars. So, customers may have to search for a dealer outside their comfort zone. And go get it.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:52 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Ferrari has a point system but they also want new Tifosi blood. Hyper cars are for the ole boys club Speciale was available to everyone now selling around 350 - 400k the higher spec's are msrp IMO a must have car.

F owners are required to sell their F car back to the dealer on limited editions or hot models for msrp to retain status including signing a FROR to the dealer.

2RS - my guess is Porsche introduces more editions based on the 2RS as 918 guys aren't all over this they can drive them for free sell them back to the dealer - that's just odd expect another R scenario.
The following was posted today over on Ferrarichat by a known entity:

I went to a presentation by Ferrari and this is what I was told:

Ferrari allocates limited cars, and perhaps cars in short supply for other reasons, based on how much a member of the Ferrari "family" you are.

Each customer who has bought within the last 20 years has a Ferrari profile, number and points score. Your points score is how you’re ranked for limited cars. There are two components to your points score - your Current Value to Ferrari and your Future Value. Your future value is essentially how they see you buying cars from them in the future - this is based on your buying profile and your age. Let’s say you’re sixty and have a forty year old with the same buying profile they’ll get more points as they will live longer!!! This only looks at a buying horizon of 10-15 years. If you’re 80 - good luck with Future Value points!!!

For Current Value the following are components which, both relate to the cars you buy and your interactions with Ferrari:

You get points for the cars you own. For normal Ferraris these points depreciate after 2 years rather like depreciation of a car. Super Cars old and new don’t have points depreciation
You don’t get points for a normal car until you take delivery whereas for a super car like the La Ferrari you get points once you order.

You get points for second hand cars as you would for any other but you must get your dealer to enter it into MODIS. I assume the points are assigned based on the type of car and if any points depreciation is there for that year model.

You get points for your interaction with Ferrari. So for example attending previews, Ferrari organised dinners, races in the Ferrari Paddock, driver training etc. it seems most points would be for major interactions like the challenge series and GT3 and FXXX

I don’t remember the acronyms for the various values but your points score is the sum of Current and Future Value. No explanation was given as to the weighting of points or how many were given for each category - I presume this allows them slight wiggle room. In general it’s clear the more you interact with Ferrari the better and the more cars you have the better. Having limited models such as the TDF and Aperta clearly score reasonable points.

When allocating limited cars they don’t just offer them all to the top group. For the TDF they were first offered to people that had the 599 GTO and currently owned at least 3 Ferraris. The next grouping owned 3 Ferraris of which one must have been a V12 old or new and a limited edition car - and so on. The normal guy who holds a Ferrari for a few years sells it and buys a new one has zero chance for limited cars.

I was told a while back that for the new speciale version of the 488 the first on the list would be owners of the previous speciale.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:03 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
The following was posted today over on Ferrarichat by a known entity:

I went to a presentation by Ferrari and this is what I was told:

Ferrari allocates limited cars, and perhaps cars in short supply for other reasons, based on how much a member of the Ferrari "family" you are.

Each customer who has bought within the last 20 years has a Ferrari profile, number and points score. Your points score is how you’re ranked for limited cars. There are two components to your points score - your Current Value to Ferrari and your Future Value. Your future value is essentially how they see you buying cars from them in the future - this is based on your buying profile and your age. Let’s say you’re sixty and have a forty year old with the same buying profile they’ll get more points as they will live longer!!! This only looks at a buying horizon of 10-15 years. If you’re 80 - good luck with Future Value points!!!

For Current Value the following are components which, both relate to the cars you buy and your interactions with Ferrari:

You get points for the cars you own. For normal Ferraris these points depreciate after 2 years rather like depreciation of a car. Super Cars old and new don’t have points depreciation
You don’t get points for a normal car until you take delivery whereas for a super car like the La Ferrari you get points once you order.

You get points for second hand cars as you would for any other but you must get your dealer to enter it into MODIS. I assume the points are assigned based on the type of car and if any points depreciation is there for that year model.

You get points for your interaction with Ferrari. So for example attending previews, Ferrari organised dinners, races in the Ferrari Paddock, driver training etc. it seems most points would be for major interactions like the challenge series and GT3 and FXXX

I don’t remember the acronyms for the various values but your points score is the sum of Current and Future Value. No explanation was given as to the weighting of points or how many were given for each category - I presume this allows them slight wiggle room. In general it’s clear the more you interact with Ferrari the better and the more cars you have the better. Having limited models such as the TDF and Aperta clearly score reasonable points.

When allocating limited cars they don’t just offer them all to the top group. For the TDF they were first offered to people that had the 599 GTO and currently owned at least 3 Ferraris. The next grouping owned 3 Ferraris of which one must have been a V12 old or new and a limited edition car - and so on. The normal guy who holds a Ferrari for a few years sells it and buys a new one has zero chance for limited cars.

I was told a while back that for the new speciale version of the 488 the first on the list would be owners of the previous speciale.
This makes plenty of sense to me. Even if they did it direct from PCNA kind of like the Ironman Hawaii raffle. For those who don't know, you have to be pretty fast and qualify to race the Ironman Hawaii. If you've done something like 10 full Ironman's, you can enter the raffle to be selected to race the big show.

It should work the same with GT cars. PCNA could have 25-50 allocations for every model, and to enter you would have to own a Porsche or have purchased one in the last 5 years or something. They select the winners and give them the chance to buy at sticker.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:09 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Because of the allocation system, as you point out, a local dealer in a wealthy market may run out of these cars. So, customers may have to search for a dealer outside their comfort zone. And go get it.
Why is it so hard for Porsche to just ask for interested buyers to submit their car requests directly to them (or any other central database) along with a decent non-refundable deposit and their preferred dealer where they'd like their car delivered? Dealer would still get a decent % for their ordering and delivery service so they wouldn't be completely out of the picture.

If they anticipate many more good faith requests than their ability to produce (due to under-pricing the car), then put a $250k minimum (reserve) price and ask everyone to bid their highest above-reserve price which they are willing to pay. If production capacity is 3000, then the top 3000 requests get the car at the lowest (3000th) price of the group. Done.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:47 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
........ buy at sticker.
Your analysis was going strong until you got to this point.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:29 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
Why is it so hard for Porsche to just ask for interested buyers to submit their car requests directly to them .....
And bypass the dealer? 142 (or thereabouts) dealers are Porsches lifeblood and they need care and attention.
GT car allocations are, I think, a reward for dealer performance. A reward which allows the dealer to pick up the despised ADM. But it's also true, I believe, that some Porsche dealers are not in markets populated by lots of wealthy customers. In these cases, the GT car may provide the dealer with profit and notoriety to keep him going.

I see several posts on this thread describing how Ferrari does business and suggesting, I guess, Porsche should look at that. To me, the business model is so different that it's the proverbial apples and oranges comparison. And it starts with this (my apologies if it was already mentioned):

- [Ferrari] is exempt from U.S. fuel-economy rules so long as it sells fewer than 10,000 cars a year globally. Breaching that ceiling could force it to sacrifice the world-famous performance of its high-powered engines.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ferra...a-year-2015-10
Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

I just saw this in a Shmee video. I know we all love this guy

So I assume the new iPhone has wireless charging and apple carplay as does the new GT2.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2017, 04:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

So I assume the new iPhone has wireless charging and apple carplay as does the new GT2.
That should really boost up sales...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

Good eyes!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:58 AM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JonA85
I have some reading ahead of me.
Would be easy to mention issue numbers?

Thank you.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 AM
JonA85
Racer