Site Sponsor

Received 2,245 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

ordered a couple already!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:58 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still on the Factory recommended shock settings, something like 7C 5R front and 5C 3R rear. chassis set up is stock. Tires (hot) F 34 R 30. I have not yet installed any aero stuff.

Right now I am still braking it in and have not run over 5500 RPM. I want to get used to the car before experimenting. At this point my tire wear is more to the outside edges in the front and pretty straight across in the rear.

I did press it last time out and did a PBL at my home track. The car has a lot more in it. Of course, weather has not been good and it will be cold for awhile. This will continue to slow progress. Overall, I love the car and have a lot of confidence in it.

Best, Allan
Old 01-04-2016, 09:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by allans
I'm still on the Factory recommended shock settings, something like 7C 5R front and 5C 3R rear. chassis set up is stock. Tires (hot) F 34 R 30. I have not yet installed any aero stuff.

Right now I am still braking it in and have not run over 5500 RPM. I want to get used to the car before experimenting. At this point my tire wear is more to the outside edges in the front and pretty straight across in the rear.

I did press it last time out and did a PBL at my home track. The car has a lot more in it. Of course, weather has not been good and it will be cold for awhile. This will continue to slow progress. Overall, I love the car and have a lot of confidence in it.

Best, Allan
Allan what really has surprised me about the car:

rears go forever as long as I don't drift in 2nd gear out of hairpins/chicanes

car is very trustworthy at high-G loads- the transitions from 1.5+G left to braking and back to the right are insanely confident.

because of the immense grip at lower speeds and the aero at high speeds, it constantly rewards and entices bigger and bigger entry speed and less and less braking...it's like a miata in that sense.

I love the long hood and feel like the car has become very very predictable due to weight distribution effects.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Justin- succumbed to this thread

After reading this Thread I had to pull the trigger. With my friend a fellow RL'ER WE BOUGHT THIS. We both have a decade of track experience each in High HP cars and momentum cars. I have for ten years tracked an NA Elise. But this track car ( primary use) will be an exciting addition to the stable. Thanks CJ and others for the juice that made us pull the trigger. Jon in Delaware
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 PM
jwalton
Pro

Another point of view
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 10:09 PM
jwalton
Pro

One last taste
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 10:31 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

delicious color combo! now get that thing wrapped and get the extreme aero stuff bolted on
Old 01-04-2016, 10:35 PM
jwalton
Pro

We plan on it.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because it's not always about being faster -- either on the street or on the track.

Sometimes, and probably the majority of the time for me, it's about how the car performs and handles. In that respect, the GT3 is the better track car than the TT/TTS. And it still is as capable a daily driver as the TT/TTS unless you absolutely have to have AWD, or live in snowy climates.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Congrats and nice color combo
Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really like the single driver stripe. can't wait to get one . I'm looking for an all black extreme package no stripe but have my eye on this funky one. i suppose i could wrap any color combo black.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

That would be fun
Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 AM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! That is a great looking car. Just take some time to get used to it's "characteristics" and you will love it. Best, Allan
Old 01-05-2016, 12:18 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, are these ACR's wild looking.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first sports car I ever drove and lived with was a 94 rt10. Was 18 years old then and unwise. Only many years later did I understand how lucky I was not to wrap it around a tree. Till this day I consider it the worst car I had every driven. Handled like a truck, throttle response was bad, super hot cabin even with the top off because of side exhaust that tries to burn my legs every time I exited the car. Broke traction till 4th gear on full throttle. worst of all were the brakes, if you didn't use the gearbox then it wouldn't stop. It was fast however, I remember it out accelerating a 997.1 turbo. Has a Callaway 440 kit and a Balinger exhaust that spat fire from the sides.

Before this thread buying one had never crossed my mind. Now I spend some evenings messing with the configurator. Seems like theyve come a long way.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:39 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Viper Exchange did an initial setup on my car but after two track days with toasted inner edges I had BBi in Huntington Beach look it over.

Betim told me they got my car corner balanced and cross weighted within 4 lbs and dialed the camber to -3.0 in the front. FWIW I found that to handle better than the -3.5 that V-EX had me set on- at -3.5 the inside edges of the front tires got roasted fairly quickly.

Overall the speed differential vs GT3 or other track cars in the Viper ACR comes from fast entry type corners as that is where the aero really pays off. Also the massively wide torque curve that allows you to pull out of a corner at 65mph in 3rd gear and run all the way to 115mph redline in the same gear. Most tracks will be exclusively 3rd and 4th gear in the ACR.

There is a front tire wear VS setup VS lap time continuum and it seems that I am on the super harsh edge with the Kumhos. They seem to perform best at 34-37 HOT psi in ambient temps of 50-70F. The problem is that if you run them to 39-40 they can blister really quickly (being a 25 section tire does not allow for much margin for error).

As such this car is really best on more of a time attack style approach- open track days with no run groups and going out for 6-7 laps at a time at maximum attack 6-8 times a day. If you go and try to run 40 minutes straight you will end up using over a half tank of gas and the tires will go from 26psi all the way to 38-40psi.

I have yet to cord or blister a rear tire but the fronts are really really fickle and I lose them quickly. After these few sets of Kumhos I will switch to the Hoosier R7 which is more robust but obviously requires a tow vehicle, trailer etc. I've just been driving the 90-140 miles to each track which is also not doing me any favors.
So, I'm picking up from your post to use -3 camber fronts? Did you do anything to rear? What about shock settings, bump and rebound?

I have disappointing news... spoke to Forgeline yesterday and it doesn't appear that Hoosier is even close to making a mold to fit the Viper? Before I bought another set of wheels, I wanted to make sure. So, it looks like all we have is the OEM Ecstas for now. Hope no one else out there is looking to pick any tires up? I just bought last two sets out from Tire rack and their Nebraska warehouse yesterday in prep for Sebring.

Last edited by est8esq; 01-05-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR