991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,903 Likes on 2,236 Posts

So now that we see how much faster the ACR is on track, some will wonder what else could have been done to the 991 GT3 to make it better on track, at the expense of being less suited for the road.

I'd give priority to much more aggressive aero (more than the RS, and btw we don't need a top speed over 190 mph), grippier tires (just make the ACR tires in our sizes!), and suspension which is designed/tuned more specifically for the track (maybe dump PASM and go with stiffer springs and multi-way passive dampers?). This stuff might cut the delta between the ACR and GT3 by more than half.

Weight reduction would be nice, but seems that Porsche would charge a lot for it. More torque would be good too, especially if we have more aero, but maybe the engine is fine as is (if it doesn't blow - please go ahead and drop my rev limiter to 8750). PDK, RWS, and PTV+ can stay.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,883 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TTS
What is odd to me is why is the DD aspect is even popping up? For example, if you want the best combo of perf and DD in the Porsche line, why would you choose a GT3 over the Turbo S? The Turbo is the better daily driver and the faster car in most cases on the streets, so if you chose the GT3 instead, it speaks to wanting more track performance I believe. With the ACR, it is the ultimate in track performance with far less compromises on the market today.
Because it's not always about being faster -- either on the street or on the track.

Sometimes, and probably the majority of the time for me, it's about how the car performs and handles. In that respect, the GT3 is the better track car than the TT/TTS. And it still is as capable a daily driver as the TT/TTS unless you absolutely have to have AWD, or live in snowy climates.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I agree the Extreme is a bit of a one-trick pony that has tons of compromise off the track. Also, it's built to a price point. LFA, Carrera GT, R8, Huracan are a bit more expensive and all will be slower on track. If I was not going to track the car, I'd have neither a GT3 nor ordered an Extreme. I'd have a new Z06 as IMO it's better on the street than either with a cavernous hatch area to give it a modicum of practicality.

It would be, to put it gently, misguided to buy an Extreme without the plan to use it extensively, if not primariliy, on track.
I must be missing something. My ACR Extreme is a ***** cat to drive. Hell, my 73E is much rougher around the edges. The car is comfortable, clutch is easy, shifts great and peoples eyeballs come out of their head when they see it. Sure my 2011 GT3 RS is more comfortable but come on folks, aren't we driving "sports cars". I'm not ready for a Cadillac just yet. Please don't judge the ACR by what others say, go drive one and get a smile on your face!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
My baby
Tomball Dodge, lol.

I live in The Woodlands. Love to see this beast in person some time!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:30 AM
991TTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because it's not always about being faster -- either on the street or on the track.

Sometimes, and probably the majority of the time for me, it's about how the car performs and handles. In that respect, the GT3 is the better track car than the TT/TTS. And it still is as capable a daily driver as the TT/TTS unless you absolutely have to have AWD, or live in snowy climates.
I think you might have mis-read parts of my statement. Totally agree the GT3 is a better track car than the TT/TTS, but I disagree on them being close as daily drivers; unless you prefer stiffer ride, harsher shifting trans, louder, poorer gas mileage, less torque, etc.

My main point was the GT3 is a car trying to find an acceptable balance for track/street. The ACR has less intent on balancing with a much more biase to the track and I think that is not only ok, but desirable.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:42 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,883 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TTS
I think you might have mis-read parts of my statement. Totally agree the GT3 is a better track car than the TT/TTS, but I disagree on them being close as daily drivers; unless you prefer stiffer ride, harsher shifting trans, louder, poorer gas mileage, less torque, etc.

My main point was the GT3 is a car trying to find an acceptable balance for track/street. The ACR has less intent on balancing with a much more biase to the track and I think that is not only ok, but desirable.
I agree with you that the ACR is more track-focused. If not exclusively track focused.

But I think that's part of its problem. What makes it so sublime on the track, makes it equally ill-fitted as a road going daily vehicle.

There's nothing wrong with that.

But comparing the ACR to the GT3 is comparing the proverbial apples to oranges. Out of the box, stock, one is a dedicated track weapon (ACR), and the other is a dual-purpose threat (GT3).

Doesn't make one better or worse than the other, just that neither is a direct comparison to the other.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:06 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

This is great. I feel like I'm reading a message board dedicated to the end of Inception.

"It totally fell over!"
"No chance it falls over!"

I personally love a lot of cars, and have driven them as daily drivers, track beaters, garage queens etc but have to reiterate for a few people on here:

ACR is completely driveable, it's totally different than a Porsche.

GT3 have evolved into cars that are easier to extract 9/10ths at track from...996 was on crack compared to the 991. Porsche has come a long way in power, platform, and friendliness.

I was inspired to buy myself a Viper for the following reasons:

1) if you call Viper Exchange and ask for one, they have them and don't try to gouge you 100k over sticker
2) on most tracks it will be the baddest, fastest car at ANY price
2a) it is terrifying
2b) i like that you can defeat TCS and challenge it
3) my P1 will run out of warranty at some point
4) consumables and breakable parts on my LT/P1 are way more expensive
5) as good as a 991GT3 sounds compared to Viper, it doesn't offer me the ***** to the wall thrill
6) IT IS THE PRICE OF A REGULAR 991 C2S
7) everything is made out of carbon
8) it doesn't have the rebuild intervals of a 997 cup car, and i can drive to the track
9) if I have an off, chances are I can get replacement plastic parts for the diffuser etc
10) MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

11) I have lots of other fun cars that are better DD or canyon cars etc
12) how many more years will companies be allowed to build V10 stick shift 8.4L engine cars?

If you are psyched up by my list you will love the car. If you are not psyched up by my list carry on, no harm no foul.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:04 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

^ couldn't agree more with your list
Old 12-31-2015, 09:12 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
This is great. I feel like I'm reading a message board dedicated to the end of Inception.

"It totally fell over!"
"No chance it falls over!"

I personally love a lot of cars, and have driven them as daily drivers, track beaters, garage queens etc but have to reiterate for a few people on here:

ACR is completely driveable, it's totally different than a Porsche.

GT3 have evolved into cars that are easier to extract 9/10ths at track from...996 was on crack compared to the 991. Porsche has come a long way in power, platform, and friendliness.

I was inspired to buy myself a Viper for the following reasons:

1) if you call Viper Exchange and ask for one, they have them and don't try to gouge you 100k over sticker
2) on most tracks it will be the baddest, fastest car at ANY price
2a) it is terrifying
2b) i like that you can defeat TCS and challenge it
3) my P1 will run out of warranty at some point
4) consumables and breakable parts on my LT/P1 are way more expensive
5) as good as a 991GT3 sounds compared to Viper, it doesn't offer me the ***** to the wall thrill
6) IT IS THE PRICE OF A REGULAR 991 C2S
7) everything is made out of carbon
8) it doesn't have the rebuild intervals of a 997 cup car, and i can drive to the track
9) if I have an off, chances are I can get replacement plastic parts for the diffuser etc
10) MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

11) I have lots of other fun cars that are better DD or canyon cars etc
12) how many more years will companies be allowed to build V10 stick shift 8.4L engine cars?

If you are psyched up by my list you will love the car. If you are not psyched up by my list carry on, no harm no foul.
Well said.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,903 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Is the ACR tolerable on the road when using the track settings for the dampers?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Sounds exciting! Have there actually been any track comparisons between the RS and the ACR, or still too early?
Interesting thoughts here vs GT4

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...r-of-the-year/
Old 12-31-2015, 12:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Is the ACR tolerable on the road when using the track settings for the dampers?
if you don't have the full extreme aero kit (massive chin lip and huge rear diffuser) it's not bad. I drove it home yesterday 175 miles after beating on it all day with the lip and diffuser on. you can bottom it out on really bumpy roads but whatever they are plastic!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:58 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
this is all you need to read about the viper:

"I'M NOT A NERVOUS PASSENGER, but when SRT's Chris Winkler shifts into fifth at the same place I normally hit the brakes and turns what I consider a 110-mph right-hander into a 135-mph no-brake right-hander by hucking the steering wheel of the Viper ACR as hard as he can and letting the massive rear wing sort out the stability, I have to work very hard not to vomit. "

"The process can be more violent than most people are used to," Winkler notes without the slightest bit of irony to his tone, "but with the wide Kumho virtual race slicks and all the aero grip available, it's typically the fastest way around." When it's my turn to drive the ACR, I simply cannot do what Winkler does. My brain won't let me. It cannot believe in the wing."

if that gets you feeling tingly skinned (or not...)
Old 12-31-2015, 01:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Thanks for posting.

No go for me at the moment 350R (Dependable? Love it otherwise) and Z06 (Already well documented overheating issues and I don't fit)

"That last is a pointed aside about the GT350R and Z06, which are showing some scary temperatures on their displays."
Old 12-31-2015, 01:52 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

CJ,

When is the next track day with the beast? Test day at BRP next Friday?

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR