Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:15 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

What is cost difference of Trofeo R vs R7? Tire life?
Old 12-28-2015, 09:31 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_rider
Great discussion guys. Always liked Viper. But, more than one review commented that it's V10 is one of the worst sounding engine! So, could you comment on the following, for the base model, please? - How does it sound? - How is the steering feel? - How does the shifter feel? - Is the heat on the sill bad enough to feel toasty on your arm? Leaving aside the power, does Viper (not ACR, but the base model) feel visceral to drive at the street legal speeds? Or, is it a wrong car to have for the street? Is too much power come in the way of having fun? Thanks.
I bought a 700 mile 2014 gts 140k sticker for 85k. I bought it for street use. I sold it less than a week later.
Just my opinion but the clutch/ first gear feel is one of the worst I've experienced.
Car looks good in person, interior is nice. Ergonomics are not good, I have no desire to mess with the seat.
Tons of power, but not a fun car to drive slow.
Sounds meh, even when you're getting on it.

So, for the street, there are better options. My .02
Old 12-29-2015, 12:02 AM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Great discussion guys. Always liked Viper. But, more than one review commented that it's V10 is one of the worst sounding engine! So, could you comment on the following, for the base model, please?
- How does it sound?
- How is the steering feel?
- How does the shifter feel?
- Is the heat on the sill bad enough to feel toasty on your arm?

Leaving aside the power, does Viper (not ACR, but the base model) feel visceral to drive at the street legal speeds? Or, is it a wrong car to have for the street? Is too much power come in the way of having fun?

Thanks.
-Like a truck

-Like a truck

-Like a truck

-Like a truck....oh i'm sorry. No but your calf gets roasted to a nice color
But judging from behind as my friends ACR drove away from me at LS this weekend, and by their accolades and giant grins, it's absolutely amazing on track.

Last edited by Masonbrick; 12-29-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks, lumber and Masonbrick. Appreciate the feedback; pretty much confirmed what I have inferred from reading a bunch of reviews. Its a shame that Dodge blew an opportunity to make it a world-class supercar when they redesigned it. Too much pride, I guess, in seeking consultation from the likes of Ferrari within the group to make it a killer sports car. A NA V10 with MT is a salivating prospect though, if only they got it right!!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:27 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

^NA v10 with an mt for street use? R8 is awesome
Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, lumber and Masonbrick. Appreciate the feedback; pretty much confirmed what I have inferred from reading a bunch of reviews. Its a shame that Dodge blew an opportunity to make it a world-class supercar when they redesigned it. Too much pride, I guess, in seeking consultation from the likes of Ferrari within the group to make it a killer sports car. A NA V10 with MT is a salivating prospect though, if only they got it right!!
Huh? Blew what? I view it as refusing to kowtow to dilettantes who want to pose in comfort. Me, I'll take the track pace and live with the rest. No Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, or Lambo will likely run with the Extreme Aero on track. I don't care if it sounds, smells and looks like a steaming turd.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:22 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Usually those with the least knowledge and "real" track experience with the Viper are the most critical of of it. It's very different than the competition and not for the faint of heart. Once you decide to accept it's idiosyncrasies it all becomes clear. This thing halls a-- ! Best, Allan
Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I want to see the video of the ACR beating the production car record at my local track (Buttonwillow). They posted up the videos for 9 of the tracks where the ACR set records but not Buttonwillow.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:37 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lumber
^NA v10 with an mt for street use? R8 is awesome
I am a big fan of R8 styling. A Spyder/Cab (my choice when available) V10 was out of my price range. But, when I was ready, for a V8 Spyder, MT choice went away. But then, being a Porsche guy, I am always indecisive when it comes to non-P-cars. Still, I want them all; but, don't have the resources to support my "wants"! So, have to be super-selective. I have a 981 Spyder incoming.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:59 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Keith Verges-Dalls, allans:
Actually, I don't care much about comfort per se. I ride super/hyper bikes, with full gear. Instead, I care about qualities that 'lumber' and 'Masonbrick' detailed; and, a few other traits that make a sports car fun drive at street legal speeds. One of the cars in my shopping list is Caterham Seven, which sort of alludes to the characteristics I am looking for.

Admittedly, I have the least amount of knowledge on Viper. I don't track either. So, we have different expectations. If I were to choose Viper, it would have been a GTS. So, for the reasons already mentioned, it would be a disappointment, to me. I really wanted it. You could have all the track credibility and yet make it sound like LFA or Carrera GT. What's wrong with that? You could have all the aero and down force for the track; and, still factor in fine sports car traits, for the street. These qualities are not mutually exclusive. Failing to do so just makes it one-trick pony!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Keith Verges-Dalls, allans:
Actually, I don't care much about comfort per se. I ride super/hyper bikes, with full gear. Instead, I care about qualities that 'lumber' and 'Masonbrick' detailed; and, a few other traits that make a sports car fun drive at street legal speeds. One of the cars in my shopping list is Caterham Seven, which sort of alludes to the characteristics I am looking for.

Admittedly, I have the least amount of knowledge on Viper. I don't track either. So, we have different expectations. If I were to choose Viper, it would have been a GTS. So, for the reasons already mentioned, it would be a disappointment, to me. I really wanted it. You could have all the track credibility and yet make it sound like LFA or Carrera GT. What's wrong with that? You could have all the aero and down force for the track; and, still factor in fine sports car traits, for the street. These qualities are not mutually exclusive. Failing to do so just makes it one-trick pony!
You don't understand this car because you don't track. Within the constraint of staying street legal, it's designed as a track car which can hang with many proper race cars, at a price between the GT4 and GT3 while being considerably faster than both of them. It's not just a 'sports car'. What they were able to achieve with this car is very impressive, and will hopefully cause Porsche to rethink their design priorities for the GT cars going forward.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:24 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
You don't understand this car because you don't track. Within the constraint of staying street legal, it's designed as a track car which can hang with many proper race cars, at a price between the GT4 and GT3 while being considerably faster than both of them. It's not just a 'sports car'. What they were able to achieve with this car is very impressive, and will hopefully cause Porsche to rethink their design priorities for the GT cars going forward.
^^^^^^ This is truth. The ACR is not a cars and coffee winner.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 AM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold
He wasn't asking about the acr, he's asking if a gts is a good car for the street. Which it definitely isn't...
Old 12-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
He wasn't asking about the acr, he's asking if a gts is a good car for the street. Which it definitely isn't...
OK, but it's an ACR thread in a GT3 forum ...
Old 12-30-2015, 11:52 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 233 Posts

I daily drive my 14 Viper TA. It is my only car. First week I was a bit unsure, left town for a couple days and came back and was in love. Like people mentioned it takes getting used to but once u do u fall in love.

I sold my 991 GTS manual cause I was bored with it. Felt like driving around an E class. Drive a 991 GT3 around town and on track and yes it's amazing but find it muted and a bit dull to be honest. I like manual gearboxes and after getting out of my viper and taking the GT3 out it felt to quiet and too refined on track, which some may like. The viper is the closed thing to a racecar that's a street car in my opinion.

Although I know a couple guys who say they find it much better than their 458 speciale, saying the speciale is even rougher and more uncomfortable.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR