Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:28 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by A911SUV
Nice review... absolutely beast of a car!

So are ACR's nationwide being sold at MSRP? No ADM's or no wiggle room?
There is wiggle room per the people who I know have them.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Great review CJ. Thanks for making burn another 2-3 hours tonight on the configurator.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:23 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by A911SUV
Nice review... absolutely beast of a car! So are ACR's nationwide being sold at MSRP? No ADM's or no wiggle room?
Ones on cars.com asking over MSRP
Old 12-06-2015, 04:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
CJ and other ACR owners on this thread: Anyone going to try the Viper Exchange/Arrow Racing Engines performance mods when they become available? Stage II-Fixed camshaft/cylinder head upgrade to 733 HP. Stage III-Sledgehammer with 4.3L twin screw blower to around 900HP. I just went on the SRT configurator and made an all black ACR-looks very tempting....
No. Tires barely last as is and the car dumps on EVERYTHING on track. I'm just doing schroth belts and BLASTING on the track. Needs nothing for me. I would go for more of a raspier noise somehow but at 650HP this is a beast. It has something like 400lb-ft of torque at 1200rpm.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:41 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice review. Curious on lap times at Fontana if you had them?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:11 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheels & Tires

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I also have the tractive. Really think it adds even more grip. Only issue is tires- I need to run hoosiers if I do big willow again
If you find a solution, please post.

Seems this car is a real problem and no wheel & existing Hoosier combination fits????

Can't get a straight answer from Forgeline? They've been tried and true for EVERY car I've owned, but this?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
CJ and other ACR owners on this thread:

Anyone going to try the Viper Exchange/Arrow Racing Engines performance mods when they become available?
Stage II-Fixed camshaft/cylinder head upgrade to 733 HP.
Stage III-Sledgehammer with 4.3L twin screw blower to around 900HP.

I just went on the SRT configurator and made an all black ACR-looks very tempting....
I'll echo CJ's comments and further note that adding horsepower to this car mystifies me. A bunch of drag racers throwing horsepower at a car that is a competent and complete package is asking for all kind of trouble. First, are you sure the additional horsepower will not overwhelm the already-taxed cooling system? Second, are these aftermarket companies doing the kind of endurance testing of their valvetrain that Dodge does? I've seen many a dropped valve with a "upgraded" cam. I will pretty much guarantee that every knucklehead throwing hp at this car would be better served spending the money learning how to drive it. And I would especially expect GT3 owners to appreciate that horsepower is not all there is. The GT3 with a lowly 475 hp punches way above its weight, and does so through the combination of the whole package.

Finally, why would you void your warranty on a car that you're going to use very hard on track? Personally, I have plenty of race cars that I have to maintain and repair out-of-pocket, and my brand-new track car is something I want to keep under warranty.

If you can't kick *** with the aero grip, huge tires, and 645 hp, then maybe you want to go back to school or consider a different hobby
Old 12-08-2015, 01:21 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I'll echo CJ's comments and further note that adding horsepower to this car mystifies me. A bunch of drag racers throwing horsepower at a car that is a competent and complete package is asking for all kind of trouble. First, are you sure the additional horsepower will not overwhelm the already-taxed cooling system? Second, are these aftermarket companies doing the kind of endurance testing of their valvetrain that Dodge does? I've seen many a dropped valve with a "upgraded" cam. I will pretty much guarantee that every knucklehead throwing hp at this car would be better served spending the money learning how to drive it. And I would especially expect GT3 owners to appreciate that horsepower is not all there is. The GT3 with a lowly 475 hp punches way above its weight, and does so through the combination of the whole package.

Finally, why would you void your warranty on a car that you're going to use very hard on track? Personally, I have plenty of race cars that I have to maintain and repair out-of-pocket, and my brand-new track car is something I want to keep under warranty.

If you can't kick *** with the aero grip, huge tires, and 645 hp, then maybe you want to go back to school or consider a different hobby
Yeah, if you can't become the DE champion in this car then you are definitely doing something wrong.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:21 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I'll echo CJ's comments and further note that adding horsepower to this car mystifies me. A bunch of drag racers throwing horsepower at a car that is a competent and complete package is asking for all kind of trouble....
If someone wanted to do big horsepower events like the the Texas mile or other drag racing instead of track racing, that's not unreasonable, but they would want a non-ACR Viper as a start point.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by ace37
If someone wanted to do big horsepower events like the the Texas mile or other drag racing instead of track racing, that's not unreasonable, but they would want a non-ACR Viper as a start point.
Bingo - but this topic is about ACR and only a pinhead would want to drag the wing down a strip or runway. For that kind of racing, I wonder if the rules prohibit a Top Fuel racer? Running 250 in the mile is wimpy compared to 300+ in 1/4 mile.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:30 AM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 54 Posts

Great review, makes me feel better about ordering one. I'm that guy that is pissed off he didn't get an RS.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:49 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love this ad!

Old 12-09-2015, 01:51 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
Great review, makes me feel better about ordering one. I'm that guy that is pissed off he didn't get an RS.
You guys keep writing reviews like this and I'm going to end up ordering one.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Better do it soon, as leadtime is currently about four months plus. If production stops as rumored .....

This car appears to be serious for the trackster. I personally can't afford or justify the resale hit of likely slower GT3RS. And I like the engagement of manual trans. Finally, I'm a Viper guy anyway, having owned at least one continuously since 1993.

As for the tire issues, they are nothing compared to jacking with 21 inch rear wheels.

With the GT3RS to me Porsche has lost its way a little bit, and gone to the poser side. Although most disagree, I really rail against idiotic, non-motorsports style center locks, and oversize wheels. I feel pretty confident that 19 inch wheels with traditional lugs will be far easier to deal with on track than the GT3 and RS in the long run. No special moly paste, special tools, needing buddy for a fracking wheel rotation.

Last edited by Keith Verges - Dallas; 12-09-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Considering all types of Vipers typically take huge depreciation hits, is ordering an ACR Extreme at MSRP even sensible ?

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR