Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:33 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
New update:

1) I'm done with TrofeoR. Did a double duty track day yesterday with Ben and the tires gave out after the first session. There is still tread left on the tires, but the rear doesn't grip worth a darn anymore. It looks like once you hit the wear bars, you can say goodbye to grip and you end up with oversteer because the front are still gripping fine. Checked tire temps and they were even all of the way around: front, rear, middle, inner, outer all about 155F. I really miss running NT01 tires. Good all of the way to the end. I drove my buddy's Cayman GTS on NT01 for a few laps and had way more fun in his car than the GT3. New N spec MSPC2 are back on the car as of today. I haven't been on N spec MSPC2 since February. I hope the magic returns with those tires. My buddy wore out his dunlop sport maxx race OEM tires on his GT3 and ran Trofeo R for the first time yesterday too. He was underwhelmed as well. I'm never running Trofeo R again. Too fussy with tire temps and pressures. This is what the tires look like after 500 track miles/5 track days.

Fronts look fine and grip fine:

The rears still have some tread but are down to the wear bar

Based on what I see on your pictures your alignment is waaaay off for those tires. You easily can pick up at least from 3 to 5 seconds from your Trofeos if you had proper alignment settings. Don't blame your tires
Old 09-21-2015, 02:45 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Hey Joe, when the MPSC2 heat-cycle out after 5 or 6 days, is it catastrophic like the TrofeoR too, or just lower peak G's but still controllable driving / fun at the track?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:28 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

Joe what lift do you have? It looks like a great setup with two bridge jacks as well to get all four up at once?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:03 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to read all your posts and findings, Joe.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by krisa9977
Based on what I see on your pictures your alignment is waaaay off for those tires. You easily can pick up at least from 3 to 5 seconds from your Trofeos if you had proper alignment settings. Don't blame your tires
The 2 different setups I've run with these tires have been -2.9F/-3.0R and -2.7F/-2.4R. Tire temps with the latest setup have been fine. I'd be curious to see what you recommend, but suggesting 5 extra seconds from only an alignment is crazy talk. Even if it was true, I'm not interested in a tire that is that fussy.

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hey Joe, when the MPSC2 heat-cycle out after 5 or 6 days, is it catastrophic like the TrofeoR too, or just lower peak G's but still controllable driving / fun at the track?
No, but I think that's because on MPSC2 the front tread wears out before the rear. It's the opposite with the TrofeoR, where the rear wears out first and therefore you get oversteer. I've noticed that the rear brake pads have been wearing at a faster rate with TrofeoR than MPSC2, so the 'tail out' incidences have been much higher with the TrofeoR.

Originally Posted by electron mike
Joe what lift do you have? It looks like a great setup with two bridge jacks as well to get all four up at once?
Atlas 408-SL. My buddy has the Atlas pro-8000, which I prefer over the 408. The bridge jacks on the 8000 are lower profile than the 408, which makes it easier to work with on lower cars. The pro-8000 is more quiet too.

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Good to read all your posts and findings, Joe.
Thanks, Sam!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Sarum87
Instructor

good discussion but one thing I don't read in here is how do you guys know how to change your set up from the MPSC2 to the Trofeo R? How do you know what changes to make? Tire construction may be different but I'd have a hard time figuring out how to change set up betyween two different brands of tires.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sarum87
good discussion but one thing I don't read in here is how do you guys know how to change your set up from the MPSC2 to the Trofeo R? How do you know what changes to make? Tire construction may be different but I'd have a hard time figuring out how to change set up betyween two different brands of tires.
I'm not sure I do either at this point, which is why I'm sticking with MPSC2 or Dunlops from now on.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:49 AM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What rear toe setting are you using and are you setting it with the key on?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:23 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Joe, I have run Tro R's on stock alignment. I liked them better than MPSC2, they feel more like a slick. when the MPSC2 gave up, the fronts went completely while rears were still good. Difference in alignment? I had L Keen drive the car at Atlanta MotorSports Park, he said just leave it as is. Granted its not Road Atlanta, but he was within a few tenths as fast a time in the 3 than his one-lap-of-America winning GTR. Feedback was the car is supper comfortable to push hard. The tires at that time were MPSC2 with 3 track days. They did give up after his stint.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Hello Joe, I have run Tro R's on stock alignment. I liked them better than MPSC2, they feel more like a slick. when the MPSC2 gave up, the fronts went completely while rears were still good. Difference in alignment? I had L Keen drive the car at Atlanta MotorSports Park, he said just leave it as is. Granted its not Road Atlanta, but he was within a few tenths as fast a time in the 3 than his one-lap-of-America winning GTR. Feedback was the car is supper comfortable to push hard. The tires at that time were MPSC2 with 3 track days. They did give up after his stint.
Good info. Could you clarify what you mean by the tires 'giving up'? Worn out? Heat-cycled? Got greasy during sessions?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by 452gt3
What rear toe setting are you using and are you setting it with the key on?
3mm toe in rear each side. Alignment was indeed done with the key on.

Originally Posted by hughp3
Thanks for sharing. Yes, mpsc2 fronts give up before the rear and vice versa for the trofeo. My buddy running trofeoR for the first time this weekend was on stock alignment. He was underwhelmed...
Old 09-21-2015, 02:03 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

The 2 different setups I've run with these tires have been -2.9F/-3.0R and -2.7F/-2.4R. Tire temps with the latest setup have been fine. I'd be curious to see what you recommend, but suggesting 5 extra seconds from only an alignment is crazy talk. Even if it was true, I'm not interested in a tire that is that fussy.
It is not crazy talk it is the fact that I know for sure. Obviously you need a proper driver to get those 5 seconds off.

ps: I did a lap time at Nurburgring 10 seconds faster then a factory driver (I believe it was Walter Röhrl) with bone stock 997GT3 mk2 only with race alignment and TrofeoR tires. With factory settings on Cup2s I was 6 seconds slower then Walter. If it comes to Porsche setup I know what I'm talking about.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

It is not crazy talk it is the fact that I know for sure. Obviously you need a proper driver to get those 5 seconds off.

ps: I did a lap time at Nurburgring 10 seconds faster then a factory driver (I believe it was Walter Röhrl) with bone stock 997GT3 mk2 only with race alignment and TrofeoR tires. With factory settings on Cup2s I was 6 seconds slower then Walter. If it comes to Porsche setup I know what I'm talking about.
Got it. Well, I've decided to never run trofeo again since it's not for me, but for the the benefit of others who want to try it, please let them know what alignment you would run based on my wear pattern in case theirs are the same.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Got it. Well, I've decided to never run trofeo again since it's not for me, but for the the benefit of others who want to try it, please let them know what alignment you would run based on my wear pattern in case theirs are the same.
I did not drive Trofeos on 991GT3, I only drove them on 997GT3, but the starting point for Trofeo R is the same as for Cup2s. Because of active rear steering on 991GT3, you need about -0.7 more negative camber for the rear then if you drove 997GT3. I tried to turn off rear active steering and rear end felt like you put slicks in rear.

Also your camber depends on your right height. Lower your car, you need more negative camber.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I did not drive Trofeos on 991GT3, I only drove them on 997GT3, but the starting point for Trofeo R is the same as for Cup2s. Because of active rear steering on 991GT3, you need about -0.7 more negative camber for the rear then if you drove 997GT3. I tried to turn off rear active steering and rear end felt like you put slicks in rear.

Also your camber depends on your right height. Lower your car, you need more negative camber.
That is interesting to note that you have found that the 991 like more rear negative camber than the 997. It seems that way to me as well, but I have no 997 experience

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal