Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:26 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Fascinating indeed. I'm tempted, except that those cambers seem way too high for road use, and I drive the car to tracks that are up to 6 hours away.

Krisa9977, could you share your impressions of the car? What you like, don't like, how it compares to other cars you've driven? I don't want to derail Joe's thread, so you can post in a new thread, or in my 'impressions' thread if you prefer: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nifold-15.html
I wouldn't recommend those settings for those, who drive their car on streets or who doesn't push hard enough at the track. Also your car will be much lower that would make it hard to drive on streets without front suspension lift. It is ok to drive 200 miles to the track and come back, but not more. If you push hard, your tires will last much longer with these settings, comparing if you had less camber.
You need more camber to go faster in corners and accelerating out of corners, but not for braking. If you brake hard before a corner, but go slow in a corners, your inner part of your tires will wear out unevenly very quick.

At the track you'll get much more grip with ANY tires, you'll get rid of mid corner oversteer and your rear end will be much easy to control. You can be much sooner on the throttle exiting a corner with much higher exit speed.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

FWIW, I had -3 degrees at the front with MPSC2 and front tires wore more on the inside, and I also got a slight bend on the inside of the wheel from a rather minor bump. I went back to -2.8, and so far fronts wear very evenly. So going beyond -3 degrees is not something I'd do on my dual-purpose car.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:58 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

I wouldn't recommend more then 2 degrees for DE events for dual-purpose car.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Orthojoe...GREAT video from your 9/16 post...that was sweet!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Hard to follow some of the extreme numbers in this thread.
I have a new RS and at the Ring the next 3 days.

Changes:
-2.5 R camber
-3.0 F camber

Zero toe front
2 mm in each side rear

Bars in the middle.

Felt fine and comfy driving on the road 20 miles yesterday in slow traffic speeds.

Car felt fine stock, MPSC in front seem to wear outside edge. Ran in the door pressures hot 29F 33R.

If anything there was some under steer but that was my driving, faster in slow corners, slower in fast corners being well within the cars limits it took a good lap of 9 minutes to get the tires up.

Made changes based on what I know from 997RS and anticipating pushing the car harder on the front tires as I get more comfortable at the Ring / going to easy safer tracks next.

I'll go out today and feel the car out for a few laps but it's a big traffic day so more caution than pushing the car....Monday and Tuesday are track days, with Manthey track support, if I really find a negative effect, I ask Manthey to make a change.

I have 2 additional sets of MPSC2 with me, so not too worried about risking killing off the tires for this trip experimenting during 20 track days 8-9 different tracks so I can learn what works best coming home with the car going forward.

Keep you posted, thoughts welcome.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:38 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello all,
I'm new here (first post now).
I have read all of the posts here on your thread, orthojoe - some great stuff.
Lots about the MSC2 and Tropheos but not much about the Dunlop Sportmax Race.
Has anyone compared the Dunlop?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by skippyBKR
Hello all,
I'm new here (first post now).
I have read all of the posts here on your thread, orthojoe - some great stuff.
Lots about the MSC2 and Tropheos but not much about the Dunlop Sportmax Race.
Has anyone compared the Dunlop?
The Dunlop is fine for the road, will not last on track.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:05 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Can you be a bit more specific - you mean the wear rate?
Have you tracked the Dunlop?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Can you be a bit more specific - you mean the wear rate?
Have you tracked the Dunlop?
I've tracked the Dunlop on a Cayman and 997. In both cars, the tire was fine on track up to about 8/10ths, but when pushed harder than that it would get very greasy, chunk, and eventually cord before the overall tread was worn down, so they provided only a fraction of the lifespan of the Sport Cup 2.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:34 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I've tracked the Dunlop on a Cayman and 997. In both cars, the tire was fine on track up to about 8/10ths, but when pushed harder than that it would get very greasy, chunk, and eventually cord before the overall tread was worn down, so they provided only a fraction of the lifespan of the Sport Cup 2.
Same experience on the Dunlop with track use but I don't think they are any better for road only. They start off ok but fall off quickly (less than 1000 miles) and get ridiculously loud for normal road use. This has been common with these tires on other cars also. Some might disagree but it will only take a comparison with a couple other sets of tires and you'll come around. Better choices available and these are last on my list of the GT3 tire choices.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:19 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hard to follow some of the extreme numbers in this thread.
I have a new RS and at the Ring the next 3 days.

Changes:
-2.5 R camber
-3.0 F camber

Zero toe front
2 mm in each side rear

Bars in the middle.

Felt fine and comfy driving on the road 20 miles yesterday in slow traffic speeds.

Car felt fine stock, MPSC in front seem to wear outside edge. Ran in the door pressures hot 29F 33R.

If anything there was some under steer but that was my driving, faster in slow corners, slower in fast corners being well within the cars limits it took a good lap of 9 minutes to get the tires up.

Made changes based on what I know from 997RS and anticipating pushing the car harder on the front tires as I get more comfortable at the Ring / going to easy safer tracks next.

I'll go out today and feel the car out for a few laps but it's a big traffic day so more caution than pushing the car....Monday and Tuesday are track days, with Manthey track support, if I really find a negative effect, I ask Manthey to make a change.

I have 2 additional sets of MPSC2 with me, so not too worried about risking killing off the tires for this trip experimenting during 20 track days 8-9 different tracks so I can learn what works best coming home with the car going forward.

Keep you posted, thoughts welcome.
The only two suggestions I can think of are on the alignment. Unlike the 997, the 991 does well with similar camber F/R. I would suggest you try -3 rear as well. This is likely to increase your understeer some so I suggest you loosen the front roll bar to the softest setting to minimize that. I agree with your target hot pressures of 29/30 F/R.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:53 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Yes, similar camber F/R is the way to go with 991GT3. May be even more rear camber then front. With 997GT3 it was possible to set more front camber then in the rear, but because of active rear suspension on 991GT3 it requires more negative camber in the rear then it was on 997. I would also put the rear bar in softest position.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:22 PM
skippyBKR
Instructor

I'm not sure how accurate the g meter is, but here is what it read after a tract day at our local (GP) race track with the Dunlop. It was actually faster than other 991 GT3's previously at the same track.
What I did learn, is the Dunlop was not happy with the lower pressures I'm used to running (and you guys are running on the MSC2). It started to tear itself up at less than 31 hot. At 36 hot is was fine and lap times were also fastest.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:00 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by krisa9977
Yes, similar camber F/R is the way to go with 991GT3. May be even more rear camber then front. With 997GT3 it was possible to set more front camber then in the rear, but because of active rear suspension on 991GT3 it requires more negative camber in the rear then it was on 997. I would also put the rear bar in softest position.
With more rear camber the car would understeer a bit more, and if you put rear bar in the softest position, it would understeer even more, right? Or am I thinking about it incorrectly?
Old 09-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure how accurate the g meter is, but here is what it read after a tract day at our local (GP) race track with the Dunlop. It was actually faster than other 991 GT3's previously at the same track.
What I did learn, is the Dunlop was not happy with the lower pressures I'm used to running (and you guys are running on the MSC2). It started to tear itself up at less than 31 hot. At 36 hot is was fine and lap times were also fastest.
Were you running 36 front and rear??

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal