Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:45 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

just checked the weather - it's going to be 109 F... Heatwave. Crazy...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:41 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
!! Mine tend to sit at "--" once I drop the pressures down, and they don't seem to recover and start showing up on track, in general. Am I supposed to drive the car around for a while at sane speeds until the pressures show up, and then I'm good to go?

I'm hoping things like this will get fixed with some software updates.
Mech33,
To recover from "--" just pull the "lower right" lever back and it should reset and show tire temps.
Best, Allan
Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Sorry I meant tire PRESSURES. Allan
Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
just checked the weather - it's going to be 109 F... Heatwave. Crazy...
Holy smokes.... Hope the prediction is wrong.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Another track day update:

1) I ran the Trofeo R with pressure goals of 28F/29R. This really stabilized the car and gave me the confidence I needed. No other changes. That being said, the sustained lateral Gs on the Trofeo R and MPSC N spec are still no different. Both hold about 1.3G before letting go. HOWEVER, this is not quite a fair comparison because the MPSC2 numbers were recorded with 72 degree ambient temps and the Trofeo R were recorded in 113 degree ambient temps. Yes, 113F. It's was ballz crazy hot yesterday

2) Heat management. The GT3 passes with flying colors. Despite ambient temps of 113F, the peak coolant temps were 212F. Peak oil temps were only 243F. 243F!!!!

3) The fly in the ointment: 3 out of 6 991 GT3s there that day reported a sudden check engine and reduced power warning. All 3 lifted, on all 3 the light went away, and on all 3 resumed driving again. This didn't happen to me while I was driving, but it did happen to Ben. My suspicion is that the PDK-S could be overheating, but I have no proof of that. Engine coolant and oil temps were down right amazingly low. If the only problem with driving in 113F weather is a little interruption in fun for a lap once in a while, I'm ok with that.

4) The brakes. Amazing. Zero fade or any hit of pedal going soft even in the harsh weather. No smoking. The calipers are still bright red. The Ferodo DS1.11 pads have 729 track miles/7 track days on them and look like they are about 50% worn in the front. The rotors are finally starting to show some cracks. Here is a pick of the rotor with the same amount of use as the brake pads (4 Thill, 1 Sonoma, 2 Laguna, and 188 miles in 113F weather):

5) Trofeo R tire wear. 496 Miles and 5 track days on the trofeo R. Oddly enough, with these tires the REAR look more worn than the front. With MPSC2 the front wore more than the rear. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the tires right now. Not sure if the last track day heat killed these with the heat, and the rear tires look really close to being done. I wonder if one more day can be had?
Front left

Front right

rear left

rear right

6) The track app still sucks. Since Thunderhill isn't a preprogrammed track, I had it programmed in with sector markers. I MADE SURE that the video record option was ON, but it only recorded data and lap times with NO video. Wonderful...
Old 06-13-2015, 08:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Best lap of the day. This was around 10:30am, and it only got hotter the rest of the day. I only matched my best time on the Thill 5 mile course of 3:30. Tire grip was about the same. I was more comfortable with the west side of the course this time, so I gained some time there, but I lost time on the straightaways. The car was definitely losing power, so the time I gained on the west side was lost in the straights.

Watch the ambient temperature readout on the center gauge!

Old 06-13-2015, 09:04 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Good info orthojoe!

My trofeo R fronts seem to wear more than my rears. I am able to get around 1.6-1.7 G before they break loose which is way more than my Dunlops. Haven't tried cup2.
I guess this is all dependent on what track you are on, temps, alignment and driving style...
Old 06-14-2015, 12:48 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

FWIW, I was driving at about the same pace and did not get check engine light (well, I did, when I ran out of fuel, but that's a different story). I also got a bit more rear wear that I normally see. Could be all the sliding due to heat. But definitely not as much as you got. Very surprising to see so much wear on rears compared to fronts. I'd try to get one more day out of them. What I sometimes do when I try to squeeze one last day out of tires, I get new set shipped to the tire shop at the track and get tires installed when the previous set cords or at the end of the day if they last full day.

And thanks for setting that day up! It was fun despite the heat. I need to work on my endurance. My last session I caught myself thinking "I don't want to accelerate because I'll need to brake soon" - that's when I packed up.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Good info orthojoe!

My trofeo R fronts seem to wear more than my rears. I am able to get around 1.6-1.7 G before they break loose which is way more than my Dunlops. Haven't tried cup2.
I guess this is all dependent on what track you are on, temps, alignment and driving style...
Holy crap! 1.6-1.7G? I've never seen anything close to that. No wonder you say the grip is immensely better than cup2. Either our calibrations are totally different or I've got a dud set of tires. Lol

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
FWIW, I was driving at about the same pace and did not get check engine light (well, I did, when I ran out of fuel, but that's a different story). I also got a bit more rear wear that I normally see. Could be all the sliding due to heat. But definitely not as much as you got. Very surprising to see so much wear on rears compared to fronts. I'd try to get one more day out of them. What I sometimes do when I try to squeeze one last day out of tires, I get new set shipped to the tire shop at the track and get tires installed when the previous set cords or at the end of the day if they last full day.

And thanks for setting that day up! It was fun despite the heat. I need to work on my endurance. My last session I caught myself thinking "I don't want to accelerate because I'll need to brake soon" - that's when I packed up.
Lol. Glad you could make it, man!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

My last session I caught myself thinking "I don't want to accelerate because I'll need to brake soon" - that's when I packed up.

====> that cracks me up. good to see u. it was so hot my hippie orver heats every 25 min.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
My last session I caught myself thinking "I don't want to accelerate because I'll need to brake soon" - that's when I packed up.

====> that cracks me up. good to see u. it was so hot my hippie orver heats every 25 min.
I'm not sure there is any car that could handle that heat with no effects.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:57 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe, my wear looks similar to yours, though just a bit less all around (presumably because I only have 4 days on them). The most notable thing is that the center of my rears are far more worn than the edges, but that's probably because I had them at too high a pressure. for sure keeping it below 30psi going forward.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Joe, my wear looks similar to yours, though just a bit less all around (presumably because I only have 4 days on them). The most notable thing is that the center of my rears are far more worn than the edges, but that's probably because I had them at too high a pressure. for sure keeping it below 30psi going forward.
Yeah, it looks like the center of my rear are more worn as well. The lower pressures helped. 1.6G that kyrocks is getting is crazy grip. I wish we had a chance to test this in better conditions. 1.3G grip in 113F heat isn't bad...
Old 06-14-2015, 09:25 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Despite the temps, I will say the brakes held up like champs. I didn't have to change my braking zone the entire day.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Despite the temps, I will say the brakes held up like champs. I didn't have to change my braking zone the entire day.
Agree!!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal