Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Is it only PCA that only allow you to move up one group/ weekend?
I actually don't mind because all the tracks are new to me over here and nice to have someone in the car that guides you thru 17 corners at Sebring!!! 😃😃😃 but with the differences in speed and cars it can get a bit complicated in the lower run groups.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Very nice work behind the wheel! I noticed you're in full Auto mode and not using Manual. Do you find your times comparable, or faster in Auto? Your vid really shows how fast the 991 GT3 is, sure you weren't exactly running with other really fast cars, but the voracity that you approached and left them shows this car is serious about it's business. Also, I wanted to comment on your telemetry/data/video/audio system...ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I don't think I've heard better audio from in car cameras than yours. Ok, my ONLY criticism and it's hardly that at all...This car is so fast and you do enough track events that it's time for some harnesses. Traveling at the speeds you are, even a minor off could be dangerous and I wanna keep watching more of your vids so do us both a favor and get some, hopefully they're already in the works. Thanks again for posting this awesome vid though. That looked like a really fun track and you did a fantastic job wheeling around it.
harnesses and roll bars are coming, we are waiting for cantrell to finish them up
Old 02-09-2015, 11:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes you can.
in one morning i went from beginner to red group ;-)
i know several others who did that too.
your are correct. sonoma and LS last year they only had one run group in the day. it's not a GGR even per se.

i am hoping they will have the entire day at sonoma and LS this year
That would be cool!

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Very nice work behind the wheel! I noticed you're in full Auto mode and not using Manual. Do you find your times comparable, or faster in Auto? Your vid really shows how fast the 991 GT3 is, sure you weren't exactly running with other really fast cars, but the voracity that you approached and left them shows this car is serious about it's business. Also, I wanted to comment on your telemetry/data/video/audio system...ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I don't think I've heard better audio from in car cameras than yours. Ok, my ONLY criticism and it's hardly that at all...This car is so fast and you do enough track events that it's time for some harnesses. Traveling at the speeds you are, even a minor off could be dangerous and I wanna keep watching more of your vids so do us both a favor and get some, hopefully they're already in the works. Thanks again for posting this awesome vid though. That looked like a really fun track and you did a fantastic job wheeling around it.
Thanks! So far we've only been using the auto mode. I haven't found the need to use manual yet as the car is shifting perfectly every time. It would probably just slow me down, but I need to try it one of these days. The key to audio is to use an external mic and place the mic right behind the rear license plate.

Originally Posted by rm21
Orthojoe - great thread. Thanks for all the info. I just finished my 2k break-in and did my first track day in the GT3 yesterday (will post in the videos thread). I was also coming from the Cayman platform. I can't believe how much better the GT3 is - I shaved 4 seconds off my best Cayman time at Atlanta Motorsports Park. One question - did you go straight to the PFC11 pads or did you try out the OEMs first? I was impressed with the OEM pads, but plan to use the PFCs when the OEM's wear out. I've got the next four weekends blocked off for track days, so I won't be waiting very long.
I saw your video! Fantastic driving! You just need an external mic.
Your time differential between the cayman and the GT3 is similar to mine. Pretty amazing when you consider there is more to go as we get more familiar with the car. I went straight to the PFC11 pads based on another rennlister's experience. I did this not because I didn't think the OEM pads were good enough. In fact, everyone says they work very well. I did it because the OEM pads don't last very long at all with track use, so I figured I would save them for when/if I ever sell the car. 2 Track days on the PFC11 so far and they still look good. Great pads.

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Is it only PCA that only allow you to move up one group/ weekend?
I actually don't mind because all the tracks are new to me over here and nice to have someone in the car that guides you thru 17 corners at Sebring!!! ������ but with the differences in speed and cars it can get a bit complicated in the lower run groups.
Maybe that is a rule, I don't know. It's a good rule for people learning and climbing the ladder for sure. Nobody should be skipping run groups from beginner to advanced if they've never run intermediate before. However, I think we are talking about people with lots of experience and run in advance groups with other organizations at the same track. The guys here in norcal all know my buddy Ben as a great driver. He did one event with PCA GGR back in 2012 (when he was running 2:02 over the top at thill with the spyder on NT01) and they wouldn't move him any higher than intermediate group. So, he had to deal with the usual problems you get in lower run groups like GT3s not pointing him by because they weren't aware or just full of themselves. One had the red mist going and ended up going off right in front of him. He hasn't been back to PCA since. I'm sure that if he were to return that he would be placed in the 'red' group, but he also knows people in the organization now. Back then, he didn't. No organization is perfect. No system is perfect. However, one can see how the perception of 'good ol boys club' can come about from stories like this.

harnesses and roll bars are coming, we are waiting for cantrell to finish them up
Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The key to audio is to use an external mic and place the mic right behind the rear license plate
Hey Joe, how do you route the mic wire from the license plate to the inside?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rookie1
Hey Joe, how do you route the mic wire from the license plate to the inside?
In the videos I've posted here, the line stays outside because it is attached to the rear-view camera mounted on top of the rear glass. However, you can easily just route it inside the car through the door. Just tape it down
Old 02-09-2015, 05:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
100% agree. This is why I don't run PCA. I have no interest in going back to the beginning because they have stupid rules about how long you have to drive with them before moving to open passing groups. I don't want to drive with a bunch of stodgy old men who care more about their egos and their old cars than having fun. What's great about about most of the open passing groups at least in NorCal (HOD, NCRC, TMR, etc) is that nearly every still gives point-bys, eases off the gas, and moves off the line. It's extremely rare to come across someone who blocks or drives erratically.
I got "promoted" 3 levels within 2 days with PCA, and I drove on a new to me tracks (buttonwillow my first time one day and T-hill 5 mile first time second day), so I was not beating any records. So I think there is a way to get to fun groups quickly. Just get the right person to ride with you for a session so that he/she can vouch for you.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:52 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 120 Posts

Joe, I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but just noticed your license plate. It's F--ing great.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vantage
Joe, I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but just noticed your license plate. It's F--ing great.
F-Yeah! LOL.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

In the videos I've posted here, the line stays outside because it is attached to the rear-view camera mounted on top of the rear glass. However, you can easily just route it inside the car through the door. Just tape it down
When I was running the cable for my rear view camera it looked like it would be just as easy to run an extension cable that would exit behind the license plate.

The only problem is that I am mounting my gopro near my rear view mirror right now, and I don't want to run the cable all around like that. If you have a cage it should be a lot better.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Video as we go out for a quick run to setup the Porsche track app on the iphone. The speed differential between the other cars on track is stunning. 997.2 GT3 RS at 2:00

Old 02-10-2015, 12:34 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Video as we go out for a quick run to setup the Porsche track app on the iphone. The speed differential between the other cars on track is stunning. 997.2 GT3 RS at 2:00 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1xZSh41Fg">YouTube Link</a>
That red miata was scary. Gave me a point buy before 7 then decided to turn in on me. Cool video dont post any videos of you blowing by me
Old 02-10-2015, 12:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eurotom
That red miata was scary. Gave me a point buy before 7 then decided to turn in on me. Cool video dont post any videos of you blowing by me
I didn't pass you once, man! You left before I had a chance! Lol!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:43 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

I didn't pass you once, man! You left before I had a chance! Lol!
Exactly why I left oh and my ****ty mpss fell off a cliff along with my concentration
Old 02-10-2015, 01:15 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Video as we go out for a quick run to setup the Porsche track app on the iphone. The speed differential between the other cars on track is stunning. 997.2 GT3 RS at 2:00 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1xZSh41Fg">YouTube Link</a>
That was nuts! Now I'm scared!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:40 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Neat video. Just one minor note. It seems pretty unsafe to be taking pictures as a passenger on the track. I'm a little surprised they didn't black flag you for that.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal