Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 374 Posts

I should have kept my mouth shut. Might have had a chance of beating your lap time that way ;D
Old 01-30-2015, 01:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I should have kept my mouth shut. Might have had a chance of beating your lap time that way ;D
Lmao! You weren't thinking far enough ahead!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks for trying to make me feel better!
When I read your post it actually made me feel better. Not being the only one to think that he knows better than the guys that do this for a living!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

You can fit a golf back back there with these seats still

And for those of you that are whining about not being able to put your purses behind the seats because they don't fold forward:

Hey, I like your pic of the kids. The review is pretty neat too. Now, can you post a video of your putting a couple banker boxes filed with paper behind the LWBS instead of you contorting yourself in to make me feel bad about my decision to buy the 18 ways? Thanks.

Dan (bets two boxes wont fit and that doc is just a skinny *** )
Old 01-31-2015, 07:32 AM
Rayd8tr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an observation but I've noticed a lot of usernames on these forums that are presumably orthopedic surgeons...or perhaps in the OP an orthodontist?

I thought most docs drive bimmers, benzes and lexuses
Old 01-31-2015, 10:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hfm
Hey, I like your pic of the kids. The review is pretty neat too. Now, can you post a video of your putting a couple banker boxes filed with paper behind the LWBS instead of you contorting yourself in to make me feel bad about my decision to buy the 18 ways? Thanks. Dan (bets two boxes wont fit and that doc is just a skinny *** )
Lol! Thanks! I prefer 'in shape' rather than skinny, but either way is ok.

Full disclosure: I tried to fit a 275 width tire through the seats, but couldn't because the seats don't fold forward. There are limits. I think you can still get more than one banker box back there, though.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:37 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

repost from Lar's thread, belonged here:

Full auto. All nannies on for now.

I think 1:55 is possible in MY hands. It's definitely capable of less than 1:55 with a better driver. I'm always humbled by the lap times really good drivers get with s2000s and e46 m3s.

Hey Joe, great driving between you and your co-owner! I too have been humbled by better drivers- My tech and driver coach drives the Stammer M3 at the 25 Hour race at Thill where they have finished third a couple of times, so he has thousands of laps there. He did a reference lap with me in the car and I spent a weekend trying to get close- So frustrating! Almost two seconds was lost between turns 1 and 4 - after pushing myself all weekend, still two seconds between 1 and 4!!! Just for reference IIRC his entry speed into one was about 98 mph in my .2 and that speed difference (about 8 mph) carried all the way through the 1 - 4 complex (well and he was closer on the limit in 2 also but by a much smaller speed difference). It is sooo hard to get that feel of the limit at those speeds. Everywhere else our traces were identical and in some spots I was slightly faster, but only by a .1 sec or so for the whole rest of the lap. I would say you guys are doing better than me through 1, but if you want to hit that 1:55 time that is where the speed is. Maybe a little bit through 8, but nothing like what time is lost in 1 - 4.

Also, you guys probably had optimal conditions for fast laps- you could easily be down 1.5 seconds later in the summer with 90 degree plus temps so don't get too frustrated and pick your moments to break the time.

So cool watching the video, getting me pumped up for the upcoming racing season! On another note, how did you remove the cables holding down the cushion on the passenger seat?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya
repost from Lar's thread, belonged here: Hey Joe, great driving between you and your co-owner! I too have been humbled by better drivers- My tech and driver coach drives the Stammer M3 at the 25 Hour race at Thill where they have finished third a couple of times, so he has thousands of laps there. He did a reference lap with me in the car and I spent a weekend trying to get close- So frustrating! Almost two seconds was lost between turns 1 and 4 - after pushing myself all weekend, still two seconds between 1 and 4!!! Just for reference IIRC his entry speed into one was about 98 mph in my .2 and that speed difference (about 8 mph) carried all the way through the 1 - 4 complex (well and he was closer on the limit in 2 also but by a much smaller speed difference). It is sooo hard to get that feel of the limit at those speeds. Everywhere else our traces were identical and in some spots I was slightly faster, but only by a .1 sec or so for the whole rest of the lap. I would say you guys are doing better than me through 1, but if you want to hit that 1:55 time that is where the speed is. Maybe a little bit through 8, but nothing like what time is lost in 1 - 4. Also, you guys probably had optimal conditions for fast laps- you could easily be down 1.5 seconds later in the summer with 90 degree plus temps so don't get too frustrated and pick your moments to break the time. So cool watching the video, getting me pumped up for the upcoming racing season! On another note, how did you remove the cables holding down the cushion on the passenger seat?
Thanks!!!! Turn 1 has ALWAYS been my weakest turn. In comparing my logs, I'm not going any faster through 1 than I am in my spyder, and even then the spyder wasn't at the limit at turn 1. It's a very intimidating turn for me. Very true about the driving conditions too. My best times always seem to be set early in the season when it is still cool out. The then rest of the season I'm scratching my head. Lol!

The cables holding down the passenger cushion can be released by getting 2 needle nose pliers. One to open up the white clip, and the other to guide the cable out of the clip. It's a pain. Do it once and then never again.

See you at thill later this year!!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Thanks Joe for the info. Point of clarification that is between the cushion and the shell where you need to release the clip, right? Mine is so tight it's hard to see what's going on!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Joe for the info. Point of clarification that is between the cushion and the shell where you need to release the clip, right? Mine is so tight it's hard to see what's going on!
Correct. The latch point is between the cushion and shell. You have to lift up on the velcro to see it. Be gentle, though, or the cable will pull through the foam and tear it. Not a big deal because nobody will care or see, but you lose style points.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

He did a reference lap with me in the car and I spent a weekend trying to get close- So frustrating! Almost two seconds was lost between turns 1 and 4 - after pushing myself all weekend, still two seconds between 1 and 4!!! Just for reference IIRC his entry speed into one was about 98 mph in my .2 and that speed difference (about 8 mph) carried all the way through the 1 - 4 complex (well and he was closer on the limit in 2 also but by a much smaller speed difference). It is sooo hard to get that feel of the limit at those speeds. Everywhere else our traces were identical and in some spots I was slightly faster, but only by a .1 sec or so for the whole rest of the lap. I would say you guys are doing better than me through 1, but if you want to hit that 1:55 time that is where the speed is. Maybe a little bit through 8, but nothing like what time is lost in 1 - 4.
Montoya,

I sat down and started to play around with my data, and it's funny. You're right on the nose, man. According to the data, I was just a touch faster in my spyder than the GT3 all of the way through turn 4. After that, the GT3 took off. You nailed it!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:42 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Way too much fun in this thread. Don't you guys work?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Montoya,

I sat down and started to play around with my data, and it's funny. You're right on the nose, man. According to the data, I was just a touch faster in my spyder than the GT3 all of the way through turn 4. After that, the GT3 took off. You nailed it!

Interesting data chart! You are definitely using the extra hp through there (1-4), but not any add'll grip if it's there. Look at turn 8, there is a big difference and that gives some idea of the capabilities in 1, but it's not as long a turn. Elsewhere your brking points are more confident in the spider, look at 9- that could be higher entry speeds doing that, but into most turns you want that smooth V like you had there in 9 with the spider and in 8 with the gt3. Exit from 5 is interesting too, that is maybe highlighting the mid vs rear engine dynamic, throttle traces are more tentative. It's really easy to armchair quarterback this stuff not yet driven my new gt3, this is what jumps out at me. Grip, track conditions etc. can make comparing one day to the next difficult, much less two completely different cars! I spend hours on my own (doesn't help as much as I would like, but it does help). I find it extends your track day experience, just like reviewing video. FUN!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:39 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997s07
Way too much fun in this thread. Don't you guys work?
LMAO!

Interesting data chart! You are definitely using the extra hp through there (1-4), but not any add'll grip if it's there. Look at turn 8, there is a big difference and that gives some idea of the capabilities in 1, but it's not as long a turn. Elsewhere your brking points are more confident in the spider, look at 9- that could be higher entry speeds doing that, but into most turns you want that smooth V like you had there in 9 with the spider and in 8 with the gt3. Exit from 5 is interesting too, that is maybe highlighting the mid vs rear engine dynamic, throttle traces are more tentative. It's really easy to armchair quarterback this stuff not yet driven my new gt3, this is what jumps out at me. Grip, track conditions etc. can make comparing one day to the next difficult, much less two completely different cars! I spend hours on my own (doesn't help as much as I would like, but it does help). I find it extends your track day experience, just like reviewing video. FUN!
Yes, braking points need to be adjust for sure. You're reading the chart well because I never felt 'good' going through turn 5. It's funny that you and I feel the same way about data/video analysis extending the whole track day experience after it is all done!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:56 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Yes, braking points need to be adjust for sure. You're reading the chart well because I never felt 'good' going through turn 5. It's funny that you and I feel the same way about data/video analysis extending the whole track day experience after it is all done!
Yes, we are all just Geeks at heart, this let's a play with our toys after we are done!!!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal