Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Are we talking 21 heat cycles for the cups2 tires that came with the car? If so, thats actually good and from speaking with some very experienced racers, that's pretty much exactly where they should be 20-25 heat cycle range. Oh and check your PM's
PM sent!

Yes, we are talking 21 heat cycles for the cup2s that came with the car.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:57 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Brake pad change was a bit of failure today. A couple notes, if any of you have suggestions:

1) the suspension is so stiff, that when I jacked one side, then when to the first corner of the other side, it lifted the car off the stand on the other side, which bent the pin on the top of the jackpoint stand. It scared me, so I didn’t attempt to jack the whole car up. I think the best bet might be to do the rear then front, but I’m not sure. Suggestions?

2) What prevented the brake pad change was getting the brake pad sensor off the pad. There is no visibility, and I couldn't figure out how to get the pad sensor off easily. Did you detach the clip on the caliper, or try to get more space by detaching the things holding the caliper in place?

I was also going to install the caliper studs, but I gave up, and I'm going to ask my shop to do it.

As a side note, I actually found the CL to be no trouble at all. That was a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Brake pad change was a bit of failure today. A couple notes, if any of you have suggestions:

1) the suspension is so stiff, that when I jacked one side, then when to the first corner of the other side, it lifted the car off the stand on the other side, which bent the pin on the top of the jackpoint stand. It scared me, so I didn’t attempt to jack the whole car up. I think the best bet might be to do the rear then front, but I’m not sure. Suggestions?

2) What prevented the brake pad change was getting the brake pad sensor off the pad. There is no visibility, and I couldn't figure out how to get the pad sensor off easily. Did you detach the clip on the caliper, or try to get more space by detaching the things holding the caliper in place?

I was also going to install the caliper studs, but I gave up, and I'm going to ask my shop to do it.

As a side note, I actually found the CL to be no trouble at all. That was a pleasant surprise.
Rolling jacks I use on my lift jack up both the passenger and driver side together, so I can't help you much from that standpoint.

As far as removing the brake pad sensor, I used a needle nose plier. You need to grab the small metal 'clip' that you see at the wire junction, and then pull. The pad sensors come out easier that way. Then I just zip tied them out of the way so I never have to deal with them again.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jo did you have rear toe in settings changed from factory that could have lead to unusual rear tire wear?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Rolling jacks I use on my lift jack up both the passenger and driver side together, so I can't help you much from that standpoint.

As far as removing the brake pad sensor, I used a needle nose plier. You need to grab the small metal 'clip' that you see at the wire junction, and then pull. The pad sensors come out easier that way. Then I just zip tied them out of the way so I never have to deal with them again.
Maybe I was just being oversensitive about it. I'll be happy when my shop does it and I don't have to worry about it anymore. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
Jo did you have rear toe in settings changed from factory that could have lead to unusual rear tire wear?
Rear toe is within factory specs. 4mm total toe in.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, How many street miles did you have in addition to the track miles?
Thanks, Allan
Old 03-01-2015, 09:54 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 613 Posts

My rear tires are going to last 45+ heat cycles before thread is gone. When Joe adjusts camber, his are going to last over 40 cycles too (the photo of 20+ cycle tire has well over half thread left on most of the tire). If they heat cycle out in 20-25, that's a waste.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

To me, the right edge of the tire is worn much more than the left edge. If right side is the inside for the tire in question, this suggests that you have too much negative camber. If right side is outside, then I agree you need more negative camber.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by allans
Joe, How many street miles did you have in addition to the track miles?
Thanks, Allan
About 2000 street miles

Originally Posted by the_vetman
To me, the right edge of the tire is worn much more than the left edge. If right side is the inside for the tire in question, this suggests that you have too much negative camber. If right side is outside, then I agree you need more negative camber.
Right side is indeed the outside
Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Right side is indeed the outside
Gotcha. More neg. camber then.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

The tire in 564 shows graining on the right and on the leftmost rib. The first rib from the right looks like the onset of blisters. You can get graining if you push the tire too hard before it gets up to temperature.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The tire in 564 shows graining on the right and on the leftmost rib. The first rib from the right looks like the onset of blisters. You can get graining if you push the tire too hard before it gets up to temperature.
Hmmm... That could be a possibility. I usually open things up as soon as I feel like the tires are gripping, which is usually after the first lap. After 6 laps the tires start to lose grip. I take it easy for a lap, then start up again. Are people waiting longer? It would take several laps to get the tire pressures up to the set targets.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I took sets of new heat cycled Hoosiers to a club race. Went out the first session and pushed early. Came back in the pits and jacked the car up to look at the brake pads. Noticed the graining pattern and took the tire to the Hoosier tent. The tech told me not to push the tires the first lap. Give them a bit more time to come up to temperature/pressure. For the second set I spent almost 3 laps getting the tires up to pressure. Came in at the end of the session and the tires looked much better.

So if you are at a DE this works fine. If it is a sprint race your competitors will thank you for your conservation efforts.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,504 Likes on 2,562 Posts

Hmmm... That could be a possibility. I usually open things up as soon as I feel like the tires are gripping, which is usually after the first lap. After 6 laps the tires start to lose grip. I take it easy for a lap, then start up again. Are people waiting longer? It would take several laps to get the tire pressures up to the set targets.
I like to wait for the tire pressure to come up about 3 psi before really dialing it up, which usually takes at least a lap or two. Of course, you can only check it that way if you have TPM display working in the car. Without the TPM, I just use the rule of waiting one or two laps.

Keep in that not only do you want the tire itself come up to temp, but you also need to tire pressure to increase in order to help maintain the tire shape under load, otherwise the deformation of the tire can cause undesirable wear of the tire, uneven heating of the tire, etc. As an exaggeration, visualize thrashing a tire that's flopping around on the rim. I usually see about 10 psi increase in tire pressure in a session if going from fully cold to hot, so even 3 psi is only a modest increase.

In a non-racing situation, we can afford to be a little patient to help take care of our (expensive) tires.

Edit: I just read Alan C.'s posts. I agree!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal