Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:54 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I only got 4 days out of the tires...
Are you running with esc or tc off? Since you're only getting 4 days, have you considered switching to trofeo R? It's a shame toyo and Yokohama don't make 20" track tires. They would make a killing with all the current gen 911s and vettes.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Are you running with esc or tc off? Since you're only getting 4 days, have you considered switching to trofeo R? It's a shame toyo and Yokohama don't make 20" track tires. They would make a killing with all the current gen 911s and vettes.
Stability controls are still on. I was hoping to get some really good lap times on stock tires before I switch to trofeo R, but it's very tempting to move over to them at this point since I'm only getting 4 days out of the stock tires.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

NT01 has become my default track tire on the other cars, and I'd love to use them on the GT3. Not too sensitive to alignment or tire pressure, last fairly long, and grip tends to remain good until they cord. Not a pleasant road tire though - quite loud (like R888).
Old 03-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

1) Front Camber left at -2.7. NO change Wear looks fairly even.

2) Front toe zero. No change.

5) Adjusted the front sway bar from middle to one notch soft. Maybe this will help with the understeer and front push.
I'm no tire wear expert, but the wear pattern looks a little weird to me.

- In addition to the chunking in the middle, there's evidence of graining. Maybe you're overdriving the tires? Or the tires can't handle being pushed really hard?

- Wear at the shoulders is less that the rest of the tread, which suggests tire pressure might be a little high, but the left middle band is worn a lot, and right middle band is chunking, which suggests tire pressure isn't too high.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:36 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Joe, or anyone, when changing brake pads, did you hang the caliper with anything? On the S I would rest it on a bucket while I changed the pads. I'm curious what others do to avoid pulling on the brake line.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm no tire wear expert, but the wear pattern looks a little weird to me. - In addition to the chunking in the middle, there's evidence of graining. Maybe you're overdriving the tires? Or the tires can't handle being pushed really hard? - Wear at the shoulders is less that the rest of the tread, which suggests tire pressure might be a little high, but the left middle band is worn a lot, and right middle band is chunking, which suggests tire pressure isn't too high.
This car has had more than one driver, but I do think there is some truth, at least for me, that the tires are being overdriven. Let's see what happens with the next set of tires.

Joe, or anyone, when changing brake pads, did you hang the caliper with anything? On the S I would rest it on a bucket while I changed the pads. I'm curious what others do to avoid pulling on the brake line.
I use a bungee cord to hang the calipers
Old 03-01-2015, 01:01 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

This car has had more than one driver, but I do think there is some truth, at least for me, that the tires are being overdriven. Let's see what happens with the next set of tires.

I use a bungee cord to hang the calipers
Like a 2" one? I'm changing them today. Maybe I'll take pictures as I go so others can see what has to be done. I need to go watch Money's CL removal video again. :-) Fun day Sunday, changing to PFC's, then heading up to Lick Observatory and up Mines road.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe - you said that the tires only lasted 4 days. Was this with your co-driver driving also, in a different run group? So would that really be 8 days? Maybe to put it another way, how many runs (and heat cycles) did you get, and what was the approximate total track mileage?
Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Like a 2" one? I'm changing them today. Maybe I'll take pictures as I go so others can see what has to be done. I need to go watch Money's CL removal video again. :-) Fun day Sunday, changing to PFC's, then heading up to Lick Observatory and up Mines road.
more like 12". You hook the caliper with the cord, not the actual hook, so it's looped in a U shape.

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Joe - you said that the tires only lasted 4 days. Was this with your co-driver driving also, in a different run group? So would that really be 8 days? Maybe to put it another way, how many runs (and heat cycles) did you get, and what was the approximate total track mileage?
Yes and no. We ran in different run groups, but for various reasons they were not full track days. To make things a bit more clear I can tell you this:

The tires were subjected to
1) 21 track sessions/heat cyles lasting from 15-40 minutes
2) A total of 562 track miles

Last edited by orthojoe; 03-01-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm no tire wear expert, but the wear pattern looks a little weird to me.

- In addition to the chunking in the middle, there's evidence of graining. Maybe you're overdriving the tires? Or the tires can't handle being pushed really hard?

- Wear at the shoulders is less that the rest of the tread, which suggests tire pressure might be a little high, but the left middle band is worn a lot, and right middle band is chunking, which suggests tire pressure isn't too high.
There is actually a quite a bit more rubber left on the outside shoulder. The shoulder groves on the outside are not that deep, and the tire lasts some time after they are completely gone. So it seems the wear is even or more on the inside. My fronts hand no thread across the tire, except the outside grove and inside shoulders, and still did not cord.

The rears though look strange. Mine were wearing like that with -1.4 degrees. I've never seen a tire wear like that with so much negative camber.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

^^ Maybe you have the roll bar stiffer in the rear, letting the car lean less?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:55 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a different approach...I double up coat hangers together with a shop towel to not scrape calipers, takes all tension off brake line if you bend them right.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:27 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Just a different approach...I double up coat hangers together with a shop towel to not scrape calipers, takes all tension off brake line if you bend them right.
I got a wide variety of bungies and a low profile jack, and will be attempting this now. Thanks again to Joe et al for the notes
Old 03-01-2015, 03:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I got a wide variety of bungies and a low profile jack, and will be attempting this now. Thanks again to Joe et al for the notes
You got your car finally? Post pics!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

more like 12". You hook the caliper with the cord, not the actual hook, so it's looped in a U shape.

Yes and no. We ran in different run groups, but for various reasons they were not full track days. To make things a bit more clear I can tell you this:

The tires were subjected to
1) 21 track sessions/heat cyles lasting from 15-40 minutes
2) A total of 562 track miles
Are we talking 21 heat cycles for the cups2 tires that came with the car? If so, thats actually good and from speaking with some very experienced racers, that's pretty much exactly where they should be 20-25 heat cycle range.

Oh and check your PM's

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal