Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Dude, WTF..... say it ain't so!!! Like you I'm pretty track-oriented (32-37 days per year) but still not selling the Spyder (love it too much)! But when I buy another Porsche it will be a GT3 or GT4 for sure... not a 981 Spyder. Speaking of rotor and caliper temps, I've measured as high as 590-ish on rotors and 430-ish on calipers. No, I didn't boil any fluids (Motul 600) but 987 rotors and calipers are still too small.
Lol. Yeah, I think I'm gonna do it. I'd love to keep the car, I can't justify having any more cars. It's already ridiculous.

No problems with fade or overheat on the car at all with stock fluid. The car brakes like a champ even after 18 hard laps/45 minutes. Who needs pccb? :P
Old 02-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Joe. Others. Just watch out for cracked caliper pistons. These have show up on at least one tracked 991 GT3 and Ive seen the evidence. I think racing brakes make a billet piston kit to handle this. Brembo obviously building down to a price these days...could explain the heat your getting on one side Joe. Im not sure as no expert but would be worth checking some time. Will be same affliction with GT4 along with chipping wheel paint on those lovely GT3 design alloys. See below.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2015, 01:13 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Speaking of rotor and caliper temps, I've measured as high as 590-ish on rotors and 430-ish on calipers. No, I didn't boil any fluids (Motul 600) but 987 rotors and calipers are still too small.
Agree about the small size. Boiled fluid at every track day no matter which fluid or pad. Replaced fronts with 996GT3 calipers and all is good.

Originally Posted by Macca
Joe. Others. Just watch out for cracked caliper pistons. These have show up on at least one tracked 991 GT3 and Ive seen the evidence. I think racing brakes make a billet piston kit to handle this. Brembo obviously building down to a price these days...could explain the heat your getting on one side Joe. Im not sure as no expert but would be worth checking some time. Will be same affliction with GT4 along with chipping wheel paint on those lovely GT3 design alloys. See below.
That's scary looking. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Macca...Wow it doesn't appear the crack went through to back side of pistons but its hard to tell.....doesn't look like crack in pistons led to fluid loss? Any more details?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thank you very much for bringing this up, Macca. I never bothered to check during the pad swap, but are we looking at cracked ceramic pucks that lie on top of the pistons, or the actual pistons cracking? I know on the 997s, the brakes used the ceramic pucks. Perhaps it's the pucks that are brittle and cracking? Unfortunately I'm not aware of a source that sells just replacement pucks. RB would be the 'go to' source to replace these.

Interestingly, despite 2 'offs' and 4 track days, the wheels still look ok with no chipping.

Originally Posted by bensf

That's scary looking. Thanks for the heads up.
Ugh. Maybe we should check that front left caliper this weekend. Such a PITA to remove everything...
Old 02-24-2015, 02:13 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Macca...Wow it doesn't appear the crack went through to back side of pistons but its hard to tell.....doesn't look like crack in pistons led to fluid loss? Any more details?
I wonder if the new caliper design, where the structural bars keep the top of the caliper from flexing, has now resulted in the pistons (especially more toward the front) cracking. Perhaps Brembo has used the same pistons as before, but with less caliper flex, there is now more piston flex.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thank you very much for bringing this up, Macca. I never bothered to check during the pad swap, but are we looking at cracked ceramic pucks that lie on top of the pistons, or the actual pistons cracking? I know on the 997s, the brakes used the ceramic pucks. Perhaps it's the pucks that are brittle and cracking? Unfortunately I'm not aware of a source that sells just replacement pucks. RB would be the 'go to' source to replace these.

Interestingly, despite 2 'offs' and 4 track days, the wheels still look ok with no chipping.

Ugh. Maybe we should check that front left caliper this weekend. Such a PITA to remove everything...
Should have stayed in it. Could have been a good lap

I bet my passenger side wheel on inside at the last mooty day clipping where the extra run off at T8 ends and the track narrows. Annoying.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Should have stayed in it. Could have been a good lap

I bet my passenger side wheel on inside at the last mooty day clipping where the extra run off at T8 ends and the track narrows. Annoying.
LOL, Damn, you're right!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Eek. Do you know which pads were in that car? I'm wondering if heat was a factor.

I hope this was reported to Porsche, so they can monitor and determine whether a recall is needed at some point.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:08 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

My mechanic mentioned that ceramic pucks cracking on edges, but mentioned that's expected and he'll probably replace them with the next pad change. Said no big deal. I'll double-check.

Regarding wheels - Joe's wheels look pristine. So it may have been a paint or process issue on the early batch. Mine had first chips before the first track day even.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
My mechanic mentioned that ceramic pucks cracking on edges, but mentioned that's expected and he'll probably replace them with the next pad change. Said no big deal. I'll double-check.

Regarding wheels - Joe's wheels look pristine. So it may have been a paint or process issue on the early batch. Mine had first chips before the first track day even.
Thanks, Max. So the car still uses those ceramic pucks. Let us know if you find a source to replace them. My understanding is that there isn't any?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this CAN or ODBII data?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Is this CAN or ODBII data?
Obd2
Old 02-24-2015, 09:52 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome driving, btw. Will you be at Thunderhill 3/13-14?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Awesome driving, btw. Will you be at Thunderhill 3/13-14?
Thanks, man. Yup! Registered for 3/13. See you there with your new ride!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal